Cutter Cheerful 1:48 by rafine - Finished

Well, I've done the square tuck stern and it was as troublesome as I feared it would be. Definitely the hardest part of the work to date. I went through a good part of a sheet of 1/8" boxwood to make the framing (my trash can was delighted with all of the treats it received  :)), but I finally said "enough". The result is "OK", but not great. The planking was tricky, but easier.

Once I was at it, I decided to go ahead and complete the area by tree nailing and putting on a coat of Wipe-on Poly. I then added the stern post, because I prefer to do the lower planking with it in place. Lastly, I added the molding at the bottom of the counter above the tuck framing.

All in all, I'm just glad to be back at the lower planking.

Bob

post-186-0-86092400-1443008927_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-87132300-1443008954_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-88622900-1443008989_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-29342900-1443009014_thumb.jpg

Very nicely done.

Maury

Thanks so much Grant, Tim, Druxey and Maury for the nice comments and also to the "likes".

Druxey, I did try card patterns. My problems seemed to result mostly from the compound (3 dimensional) curves to the parts. I'm not entirely sure whether these are inherent or at least partially the result of prior work on my part.

Bob

Yes, 3D parts are more tricky for sure. The strategy I use is to cut the profile according to my card pattern from wood that is slightly too thick, shape the (inner) mating surface to fit, then the outer one. If I try to shape all surfaces at the same time, the scrap box opens its mouth!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Nice work. 

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

After doing the stern, it was almost a relief to get back to planking the lower hull. I've now done the lower segment on the starboard side through the rough sanding. I started with the garboard strake and then worked from top and bottom until the area was filled in. The final strake required some shaping and fitting, but generally the work went fairly smoothly.

Before moving on to the port side, I will drill and fill for the treenails on this side ( there are well over a thousand holes to be done on each side and I want to break up that task).

Bob

post-186-0-55672400-1443442286_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-30979100-1443442335_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-48141700-1443442382_thumb.jpg

Beautiful planking job Bob - wish I could get results that clean. 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Lower hull planking on the starboard side is now finished. This involved drilling and filling over 1300 holes for the simulated treenails, final sanding with multiple grades of sandpaper and a coat of Wipe-on Poly to seal and protect the work. Although my hand seems to be permanently cramped into the position of gripping the pin vise drill  :D , I am generally pleased with the result.

Now, it's on to the port side to do it all over again by adding and finishing the lower planking there.

Bob

post-186-0-39642100-1443866994_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-77755500-1443867032_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-37450900-1443867068_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-72777300-1443867124_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-63639800-1443867160_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-47416800-1443867230_thumb.jpg

Bob,

planking and treenailing, what wonderful and beautiful work, I love it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Great work there Bob. Everything looks so good.

Sorry about the hand cramps but it was definitely worth it. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I'll keep it short......    WOW !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I can't come up with anything to add to what's already been said, Bob...  "Wow"

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gorgeous workmanship Bob.   Are you going to paint are you going to paint or leave it alone?  Both ways will look fantastic if done with a light hand.

David B

Great work as always.  And,I wouldn't paint anything that covers your excellent work.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks so much to all for the very kind and generous comments and also to the "likes". Greatly appreciated and very gratifying.

David and Ken, there will be no paint on the outer hull other than the wales, which BTW were  repainted to repair the damage caused by sanding of the lower planking. I do expect to paint the interior bulwark planking.

Bob

That is one heck of a job tree-nailing Bob. And 2 per beam instead of the normal 1 tree-nail. :o   It's no wonder your hand has cramps. :rolleyes:   Don't cover that beautiful work up with paint though.  ;)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild