18th Century Longboat by Erik W - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48 - First wooden ship build

Danny, David, 

Thanks for the kind words!  I think one thing I've learned as I've progressed through this build is to take it sloooowly.  The results of slow, planned, methodical building seem to be bearing fruit.

I'm looking forward to the masting and rigging aspects of the build.

Erik

That is one pretty longboat, Erik.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I finished the windlass and handles.  I followed the prototype longboat model photos in the Greenwich Maritime Museum for inspiration.  The windlass has rounded ends and the holes in the windlass for the handles are offset.  Adds a bit of interest to that part of the boat.  As I've found on other parts of the boat, the soft, "fluffy" basswood is hard to shape crisp details from . . .

post-20029-0-27419400-1445472154_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-57538600-1445472162_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-23005900-1445472176_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-70466300-1445472183_thumb.jpg

Erik

Edited by Erik W

Erik, very nice work.

Getting close to the rigging process.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

As I've found on other parts of the boat, the soft, "fluffy" basswood is hard to shape crisp details from . . .

Can't wait to see what you can do with REAL wood then Erik, if you are turning out this excellent quality work with a softwood. Wait until you try using something like Castello or English Box - you'll think you're in heaven :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Danny,

I was committed to building this kit as-is when I started this project, knowing full well that upgrading the wood would produce better results.  So, I also am happy with the results I'm getting with this type of wood.  :)  The main tests for me with this kit are the skill development aspects that are specific to ship modeling.  Also, I wanted to see how deeply the ship modeling bug has bitten before I spend more money on this hobby  That said, I'm happy to say this is a lot of fun and very fulfilling.  So, there will be a second build  . . . and it will most definitely involve using higher quality woods.

Erik

Edited by Erik W

That's good to hear, and I look forward to seeing it Erik :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I've been sharing my photos of the build with my dad.  His reaction to the last set was that he couldn't see the detail of the windlass.  Point taken.  So here's a shot with the lighting at a low enough angle to show the shaped windlass to good effect.  It's a bit dark, but you get the point.  The holes for the handles are not centered because each side is offset, as seen in the photos of the longboat model at the NMM.  The ends are also rounded, rather than 8 sided.

post-20029-0-42633100-1445566253_thumb.jpg

David, I'm seriously considering Chuck's Cheerful as a second build, also the Echo cross section looks like a fun project.  Though different, both look like they'd be the same commitment level as far as build time.  My ultimate goal (3rd build?) is I'd like to build a fully rigged frigate (Chuck's Winchelsea maybe) or a ship-of-the-line (perhaps using Alex M's 64-Gun HMS Anson plans . . . or if Chuck does a 74-gun ship at some point . . . I see the background to this page is the HMS Cumberland.  A hint Chuck? :) ).  But I'm getting ahead of myself . . .

Erik

P.S. - I'm really looking forward to working with boxwood.

Edited by Erik W

Model Shipway's New bed ford Whaleboat is a good model to test your skills. I have seen one entered in Manitowoc many times and the amount of detail you can add is amazing. Just a thought.

David B

David, I've looked at that New Bedford Whaleboat.  It looks pretty cool, but I'm not really interested in doing another boat at his point.  Also, there are enough low quality materials (basswood, etc.) in this longboat kit, that I don't think I'd build another ship from a kit. 

Mike, I haven't seriously thought about doing a fully framed model.  I like my framing covered :) , so a POB build would be ideal.  If I did built the Echo cross-section I'd leave half the model without planking though.

What appeals to me about the both Cheerful and the Echo cross section are that they are basically scratch-builders-light builds, with plans, instructions, and wood available.  They're a good intro into full scratch building.

Erik

Got the rudder done.  It's sitting a little weird in the photos.  Once the masting and rigging are finished and I permanently attach it, it'll snug up to the hull better at the top.

post-20029-0-47762600-1446172533_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-83498300-1446172540_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-33285200-1446172548_thumb.jpg

Erik

This is pretty funny.  As they say . . . necessity is the mother of invention.  Because I don't have any power tools, other than the basic tools most home owners have, I am forced to improvise.  I'm tapering the dowel used for the mast.  Pictured here you see my hand-me-down 30 year old drill holding one end of the dowel, while the other end is held by a hole drilled into my build-board.  I left extra dowel length on both sides of the mast.  I used my digital calipers to measure, and then mark, the diameter of the mast every few inches on the plans.  I measure regularly as I removing material from the dowel at the places on the mast that correspond with the plans.  I'm feeling kind of proud of my jury rig.  It's sort of a poor man's lathe.  :)

post-20029-0-54143300-1446328063_thumb.jpg

Erik

I think we've all been there on the improvisation, Erik. We shipbuilders seem to have adopted this motto:  "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome". :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Erik,

I like that simple contraption of yours.

I am about to do my mast and booms so your idea comes handy because I have been pondering how to taper the masts instead of doing by hand.

Thanks for the idea.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Per,

Tapering the mast using that method worked well (I'll post a photo tomorrow).  I was concerned I would wind up taking off too much material by accident, but using medium grit sandpaper gave me the control I needed.  I think the total time to get the mast down to the way I wanted it was about 2 hours.  Take your time . . . measure frequently.

Erik

Erik,

I am to use the boxwood which I got from HobbyMill.

And it is a square piece which has to become octagon before any rounding and shaping can take place.

Respectfully

Erik,

Be careful when you make the sheaves. On mine, also basswood, the area around them was very thin and weakened the mast considerably.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Mike,

I figured the 2 upper sheaves in the thinnest part of the mast would be the weak spot.  Since the line running through them will be .012", I figure I'll drill the holes at around .015" in diameter.  Trying to minimize compromising the strength of that part of the mast.

Erik

Wondering if drilling the holes prior shaping would be better.

Respectfully

I shaped and attached the bowsprit.  A couple of decades experience soldering in my model railroad hobby have made that element of the build easy. :)  Also, I'm getting the hang of my poor man's lathe using a drill, so I'll shape the boom and gaff now.

post-20029-0-11937300-1446999126_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-85393500-1446999133_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-03096700-1446999142_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-07047000-1446999148_thumb.jpg

Erik