HMB Bounty by Crusoe - Mantua - 1:60 - First build

Well, it's under way. :)

Having never done any wooden ship modelling before  this is all new to me.

I researched over a week or so after seeing a mate's 20 y.o. Corel Endeavour in Sydney Aust recently and decided on the Bounty.

I've spent years with rc model sailboats (have too many..) and feel like doing something a little different but still with a  sailing theme..

Anyway, bought my kit a week ago and gathered up necessary tools (also been building rc airplanes for many years, but not in recent times) and have ordered and am receiving specific tools for this hobby.

So far I have assembled the basic form of bulkheads and horizontal pieces.

I can see some careful measuring of the outer profile is necessary but shouldn't be too hard to get into proper shape.

So far the instructions are fine, there really is not a lot in it, but I expect things will get more demanding from now on.

Some photos from today.

post-20036-0-95947800-1434438862_thumb.jpg

post-20036-0-65360700-1434438898_thumb.jpg

My work area..

post-20036-0-78501700-1434438941_thumb.jpg

:)

Hi Crusoe.

Welcome to MSW.

You have made a Exelent start to your Bounty.

Nice work area you have there..

Please keep posting your updates.. As it helps the people that have built this kit to help you..

Advice.. Check and double check .. Can save a lot of problems later on. Keep everything square that ment to be square..

Post any concerns you come across here.. Some one will know the answer :)

Happy ship building.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks for the replies, I know it's not much to look at but..

Unfortunately (in terms of build progress) I took a couple of hard looks at my work area and decided it wouldn't do.

So, it's in the throws of a total makeover, I'll post a pic or two in the next day or so.

The Mantua instructions are pretty much what people say to expect, not too bad but kind of written by experts for novices. Do they ever think to hand them over to a newcomer for comments?

If I flounder as I get into planking I will certainly seek your assistance, it's more than likely.

I've decided to have a go at making a simple boat holding gadget. somewhat like the one's they call a hull vise/vyce.

I've got some ideas but in the meantime have made a rather nifty Lazy Susan on which to mount the adjustable gear.

Probably have it done tomorrow. I'll leave further building a bit , while I read up more.

Fun, isn't it? :D  I can see why you guys are so into it.

Thanks again.

Edited by Crusoe

Hi Crusoe welcome What part of the world do you live in?

The Bounty is looking good.  I have been thinking the same thing about my work space. Currently I'm set up in

a spare room in our house and it needs to be set up properly. But its not going to be a long term spot.

I do have a workshop where i do my cabinet making from, but apart the fact there is no heating, I

don't want to cut myself off from the family.

So i will do put it in the too hard basket for the time being and see what happens.

Chris

Chris

For 40 years I had non-heated/cooled workspace but just rugged up as best I could.

These days, in retirement, I am able to make up for that  somewhat.

I've rearranged the space considerably to give more access to the work table and to view anything I have tacked up on the pinboard. The Mantua plans includes some unnecessarily tiny printing.

post-20036-0-95584400-1434702961_thumb.jpg

As best I could I've made a model holder that hopefully will make building a bit easier. No doubt I'll modify it further as it gets the real testing.

post-20036-0-81198000-1434703047_thumb.jpg

post-20036-0-59816500-1434703050_thumb.jpg

I'll add some additional overhead lighting tomorrow then get on with reading all the articles I've gathered up before getting back to the model.

I live in Bendigo Victoria Australia, about 100 miles north of Melbourne. It's mid-winter down here. :(

I should have realized of course!, with a name like Crusoe. Crusoe Res, Kangaroo Flat.

I live in Campbells Creek, southern side of Castlemaine, and yes, winters here, and so are the evil frosts.

I was trying to place you at spots all over the world.

I am also doing my first boat a swift 1805, but found this place

well after i had started. I have an endeavour waiting on the shelf, but that is a while away.

I am now concentrating on soldering, blackening and sail making.

I don't mind the lack of heating during the day, but don't like it at night this time of year.

keep modeling Chris

Ah, Chris.. We're almost neighbours..

Crusoe Res is where I do all my rc sailing.. Check our website, it might interest you to come by some time.  www.crusoercs.com

Is your Swift an A.L. kit?  What brand of Endeavour did you go for?   I'm not game to even THINK about a second ship, yet.. But if I ever do it's likely to be a Gorch Fock or a AMERGIO VESPUCCI (the less expensive ones). however I don't think it's a good idea to think about those for a while.

I'm interested to know what soldering and blackening you are doing.

I only use the reverse A.C. to take the chill off if it's an early morning session.

I'm currently reading up on pre-planking procedure, slow going for me.

Regards

Mal

Good afternoon Mal Good to meet you. Considering that this forum goes all over the world, I would say that we are close enough to be neighbors.

The Swift boat is an A.L and so is the Endeavour. I bought it cheap on ebay. It looks like it has ply for the first planking, but that doesn't matter I am planning on cutting my own timbers for it. I bought a Model Shipways Syren a little while ago and i am going to do it next. The Endeavour has too much rigging and sails to be my next build.

I am an out right novice at anything outside of wood work. The little bit of metal working and soldering I have done has been hard work, but still holding together, and I haven't started the blackening yet. I bought a Dremel torch for soldering and some flux solder, in a syringe, and giving that a go.

The Brass black and cleaner only arrived in the mail yesterday.

I would be interested to come and see the RC boats, but that means some time off work. One day i will sort something out.

Have you built your RC boats?

In the mean time keep modelling Thanks Chris

Edited by Cabbie

Thanks for your info Chris.

How do you find the A.L. instructions/plans/diagrams in terms of ease of following (leave the doing as  a individual thing) ?

No, I don't "build" my rc sailboats but I sure as heck "mod" then to a fair degree. They are basically cheap Chinese kit boats that have enough quality and design to come up to a  very competitive level with some help with ideas (my son sells the 4 eBooks )..  Here's our website and forum which is into its 6th year and has over 1500  global members (not all active, though)  www.shipshaperc.com

Being a retiree (7th year) I guess I'm fortunate to be able to do pretty much what I want in terms of time.

right now the workshop resembles a disaster  with stuff everywhere, but I'm doing a complete makeover to accommodate both hobbies (and to find some of the stuff in there that has been, well, misplaced? :rolleyes:  )

If I can model up a ship as well as I can make a mess then I'm going to fine.

Hi Mal, just to clear things up it was the Endeavour that i bought on ebay and it just has a photographic instruction manual.

The Swift had a smaller photographic manual which was outright wrong, when it came to the first planking. It didn't show the planks

twisted to lie flat on the false keel, and i did it how they showed it.

After i finished the first planking and spending a lot of time looking around MSW, I put a filler fillet in which allowed me to twist the second planks to lie on the keel.

The instruction photos, will show you mostly what it should look like according to them, but you need to look around MSW to find out how to do it.

Or do as you have done and start a blog, definitely the smarter way.

And if you want a technically correct boat you probably need to do a lot of research.

After saying all that i am quite happy with my Swift, it will look OK. And I have learnt a lot along the way.

The Swift kit is 25 years old and the instructions might be a lot different by now.

I am doing the Model Shipways Syren Brig, designed by Chuck Passaro next, and the instruction manual with it,

will be like having a 1 on 1 lesson with a master in comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

After a delay (wife "suggested" I get some household jobs done before getting into this :rolleyes: ) so I now have.

Following others I added blocks to the bow and have started on the stern, but the two I've fitted may not be enough.

Please check my photos and advise me  one way or the other, I'd rather learn before than after.

I haven't  worked on the plank to frame contours yet.

post-20036-0-54852900-1437098243_thumb.jpgpost-20036-0-89314600-1437098246_thumb.jpgpost-20036-0-64013500-1437098249_thumb.jpg

Hi Mal good to see you back. I was thinking about where you had wandered off to. Those dreaded household chores always

seem to be around.

I can't really help with the block question, don't know enough myself.

Though It does seem there are big spacings between the

bulkheads, more blocks might help to lay the planks.

Some of the builders block the whole thing in solid, a lot of work, but i think

they say the whole ship is much more stable when done.

Cheers Chris

Hi Mal,

The shipyard going well I see.

A tip on the planking if you have not already done so.

Read up on planking wooden models, if you haven't done so/a lot or want to, I can email you some doco I found that helped a lot for me(being a first time).

Private Message me if you want me to email them.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Thanks for that.

I will just block the cavity between the last 2 bulkheads then start planning the planking.

I take it the deck planking, the bulwarks and  the transom upper/lower are done after the first planking?

Getting to be serious stuff, now.. :)

Hi Crusoe,

Welcome aboard MSW  :)

We have much in common; I raced RC boats for years as well as built more RC airplanes than I’d like to admit (have a garage full of boats and planes).  Like yourself, I’m also on my first build (the AL Bounty).

It looks like you’re off to a great start….I’ll be looking forward to following your build log :)  

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks TL..

I'm almost ready to get serious planked :P  just have to get the framework gluing surfaces  lined up proper.

Once I start it will progress fairly well.. more or less depending on how I avoid stuff-ups

I find the Mantua manual a bit disappointing, if I were running that show (given the long time they have been at it)  I'd have rewritten it with better content.    

That is, I'd write what my experts have done. :rolleyes:

Edited by Crusoe

• 5 weeks later...

Been a month since I last posted but I figured I should clear the home maintenance work list before getting stuck into this build. So I have.

I figured out the stern blocking and today commenced the under planking. I decided to use super glue for this level as it obviously will require a good deal filling and smoothing.

To bend the planks for the bow curve I made what I'd read about, a pegboard. I had no idea of hole spacing so made them 1" apart and off set 50% on the next row. Used 3/8" dowel not that seemed very critical.

I made a plank soaker out of 1 1/2" scrap electrical pipe and just soaked the lime wood end about 6" to accommodate the bow curve. After an hour "on the rack"    :o   I placed them in front of a drier on low for a while until the wood dried out, leaving a curvature close to that needed.

I progressed to the end of the easy bit, will now do the other side.

Already I can see where a former was slightly under line to the others but that should be easy to fill out with balsa prior to finishing off.

The fine gaps will, I hope fill OK but all that seems straightforward.

I realise that superglue is not to be used for the outer planking and have woodworking glue for that. I expect to take a lot more time doing the outer planking work.

I’ll post more in the next week as I’m keen to get the hull work done without taking too much time out.

I’m finding that the amount of online and published information is great, but it also makes progressing to a next process a time of uncertainty as I try to work out which method to adopt.

Nothing new in that, I expect.

Here’s a progress photo,

post-20036-0-02202100-1440141089_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, I've had to make the decision to shelve the Bounty until I get some experience on something simpler. The instructions with the Mantua kit as very had to get one's mind around, particular a rank novice like me.

I did complete the first planking but was far from pleased with it.

I had to come up with something to  get myself out of the grave uncertainties of trying to apply otherwise excellent resources to this particular model. The Mantua Bounty instructions suffers from poorly presented diagrams and written instructions that are served up like shipboard biscuits, adequate up to a point, hardly appetising and  certainly not inspiring.

But, I'm only venturing where many others have succeeded so I'm only admitting it had me fairly tossed.

Therefore, I decided to invest in an easier model from an Australian manufacturer, Modellers Shipyard in Sydney Australia. The friend who owns the Endeavour which set me going into all this made a visit to the Blue Mountains based company and was very impressed with the high quality of the everything in their own kits, including  model specific DVD tutorials  along with a massive A3 46 page manual with huge photos and a very well presented, step by step walkthrough.

I just received the Early Sydney area ketch the Mary Byrne  and it was immediately obvious that this is where I should have started.

http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/ship-models/modellers-shipyard/colonial-ketch-mary-byrne-1826/

So, The Bounty's first planking took 2 weeks to lay down and about 2 minutes to remove  and hopefully along with it went my doubts.

I'll take all the time in the world to do the Mary B justice and then, when it is complete, I'll get back to the Bounty and do it full justice, Says I.

Already I can see many aspects that I previously overlooked or couldn't work into place.

I'll leave this topic and begin a fresh one for the Mary Byrne within days.

Hopefully it will be more interesting than this has turned out to be.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Crusoe

Hi Crusoe

Good move, if your mind is not on the job doing this it becomes too much like hard work.

There is certainly a lot to learn and get your head around. So many different new skills and concepts to learn.

I had taken very little notice in the past of old sailing ships and needed to learn just about everything.

I've been a cabinetmaker all my working life and this is totally different.

My first boat is a swift 1805, not quite finished yet, but close. It certainly has been a challenge.

I could not have done anything bigger first up, but now I've jumped in the deep end and started an Endeavour

I think that if you are going to do this hobby long term you just need to take it easy and make it enjoyable.

Cheers Chris

Hi Crusoe,

Have you taken a look at the wonderful planking tutorials on this forum (lot's of detailed instructions). 

You'll find them here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/

Good luck on the new build  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Exactly Chris.. The advice was to go that way but I chose to go in over my ankles.

Cost me $30 for additional planking to start over on the Bounty, I consider that a reasonable learning cost.

I'm amazed at what you actually get in the Mary Byrne kit. I'll photograph the contents today and start a separate build topic.

After the Bounty I had my sights set on the AMERGIO VESPUCCI   

http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/ship-models/mantua/amergio-vespucci-italian-sail-training-ship-standard/ but I'll wait until the Bounty is completed.

I may instead go for the HMS Sirius from MS, given the wealth of top quality support mediums.

http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/ship-models/modellers-shipyard/hms-sirius-flag-ship-of-the-first-fleet-1787/

But that's a long way off, of course.  Have to set aims, though. :)

Yes Chris, I had read that advice earlier but thought it would just take longer to do.

The smart novice will start on a smaller boat,  Level 2, and treat it as an initial exercise towards concept learning, as you say.

Already The Mary Byrne (see separate topic) is progressing very nicely.. albeit slowly, with lots of referring to the DVD and manual. The Bounty looks on with renewed hope.

You will get back to the Bounty.

I am still wondering about the wisdom of starting The Endeavour and doing it how I want.

But it is something I want to do. Its going to be another learning boat, and I know it will not be top quality.

I am just planning on enjoying, learning, and doing what i want. And finishing one day.

Hooroo Chris

• The title was changed to HMB Bounty by Crusoe - Mantua - 1:60 - First build