probablynot

HALF MOON by probablynot - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:50. Wood.

Jerry - no need at all to be 'knocking' your own work.  You made a great Half Moon, and it was a pleasure (and an education) to follow your build log.

In fact I was back in there this weekend, looking for information and inspiration regarding all those gilded bits and pieces that have to be stuck on the model at this stage.
Like you, I've left the taffrail adornment in its original gilded state.  I'll be doing the same with the moon and stars, since I want mine to gleam.  If I paint them, I feel it'll take away much of the shine.
post-25-0-18843900-1442762998_thumb.jpg
(I did manage to replace the wrongly-coloured plank I'd fitted at the top of the transom.  I'm still not sure the replacement's a perfect match, but it looks a lot better than it did.)

I decided I wanted to paint the lion figurehead.  I also wanted to reposition the lion's tail, since in its original moulded position (central, above the back legs) it shoved the figurehead about 4mm too far forward for my liking.
Breaking off the original tail was easy enough, with a pair of narrow-nose pliers, but in doing to I broke it onto two tiny, useless pieces!  I made a replacement from a short length of brass wire and soldered it on, letting it project slightly to starboard.  It looked great ...

post-25-0-58472400-1442763039_thumb.jpg

... until I dropped the lion on the floor!  The new tail broke off and went goodness knows where.

The second attempt still looks OK to me, especially now that I've done my little paint job.
However, I decided the three bits of heraldry that go on the transom above the gunports did need a touch of paint.  My fingers (and my eyes) aren't quite good enough to match Jerry's detailed work, but I've managed to pick out the background without smearing too much paint on the important details.

post-25-0-61714800-1442763077_thumb.jpg

Your diminishing site doesn't show, Brian. I wonder what you would achieve if you hadn't that hurdle to cross!!! That plank ... hughe improvement .. and some very advanced tinkering on the lion ... you are doing grrreat

Cheers mate,

Hello Brian..

I just want to thank you for your kind comments regarding my work.  I can only say that I truly enjoyed building the Half Moon  and found it to be extremely pleasureful for many reasons, the most probably being its ease of handling.  Of course, after building the HMS Victory most anything would be easier to handle,  but it was fun to be able to work on the Half Moon in my lap.  I know you are having a good time with your model and I am happy that you are.  Keep up the beautiful job.

Best regards,

Jerry

Well, George, you did ask!
post-25-0-15688000-1442852550_thumb.jpg

The sharp-eyed among you might notice that I've put a tiller on the rudder.  For some time I've been waiting for Corel's instructions to say just how the rudder is controlled, but no.  Nothing.  So I decided to assume that the little slot in the stern was supposed to be for a tiller which would be controlled by internal (unseen) ropes.
(Actually, the main reason I added the tiller was to 'fix' the rudder.  I got fed up with it falling off every time I up-ended the hull when I worked on all that transom decoration!)

post-25-0-24745800-1442852642_thumb.jpg

I seem to have come to the end of the hull work.  The instructions are now telling me to start on the masts and rigging.  Bear with me - there may be a bit of procrastination before I finally get going!

Building a Turkish ship, Brian ...?

That high transome offers some nice posibilities for oranments. She is showing off mate. Looking good, I really like the hull's colours ...

Cheers mate

Hello Brian..

I've been meaning to ask you a question and since you are fast approaching the rigging, here it is:

Are you planning to use the wooden discs supplied in the kit for your crow's nests or are you going to build them up from scratch?  If you decide to build them up as I did, I would like to recommend a certain type wood to use.  I used flexible beech stripwood which is reaadily available from Cornwall or Dockyard.

Please see page 16 of my Half Moon Log.

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Jerry

Good question Jerry.
Yes, I've been looking at those wooden discs, and mulling over in my mind whether to use them or make my own, basket-like crows' nests.
If I follow Corel's plans, which involve applying small decorative strips around those wooden discs, I would probably end up with something fairly respectable-looking.  But in all the pictures I've seen of Dutch ships of that era, the crows' nests look more like baskets than platforms.  So I'm tempted to have a go at producing something that uses laminated wood to create the nice, tight curves I'd need.  I'll be experimenting with a few different wood veneers to see what results I can get.
I thought your own efforts at making your own crows' nests were pretty good.  If I can't get the veneer to form tight enough bends, I might have to follow your example.  Except that I won't be using that 'flexible beech stripwood'!  I think that's the stuff Corel supplied for topping off the bulwark rails.  Sorry, but it looks and feels like fibreboard to me, and I found it a real swine to control when wet.
Maybe I could try to turn the necessary hoops of wood on the lathe?

Yeah you're right.  It's the same curvy-wurvy wood supplied for the rails except I used a smaller width.  And it does go crazy if you leave it wet too long.  But if one controls the bend by working it around a jar, bottle or glass of the correct diameter it will work.  Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

Best,

Jerry

Thanks for looking in, Ronald B, Jparsley, Tadeusz, Jerry.  And thanks for the pictures of the Half Moon replica - they do provide some interesting and useful detail.

I'm making slow-ish progress with the masts and spars.  But ...
All the dowels have been tapered and cut to length according to the plans.  The ensign flag mast at the stern has been assembled and installed.  The mizen mast is assembled and ready to be stepped, but I'll wait until all the masts and bowsprit are completed before I step them and begin on the rigging.

I'm not greatly pleased with the parts Corel provided for connecting the various pieces of each mast to one another.  I can see it's quicker and cheaper for Corel to knock 'em out in the hundreds, by slicing them from strips of moulding, but I just don't like it when the wood grain is so blatantly going the wrong way.  So I'm ditching Corel's mahogany parts and making my own from an ancient bit of scrap oak.  Here's a picture comparing Corel's with mine, plus a close-up of the completed mizen mast.
post-25-0-98628500-1443458567_thumb.jpg
post-25-0-38369800-1443458610_thumb.jpg

And Jerry, about those crows' nests.  Today I started to test out my idea for making baskets by creating rings of laminated veneer.  I've proved to myself that walnut veneer will curve into the required tight ring.  I'll try gluing it tomorrow, when it's had a chance to dry out properly.
post-25-0-12907300-1443458668_thumb.jpg
I might not end up using walnut veneer.  I'm waiting to take delivery of a selection of different veneers.  Provided my trial run with walnut works out OK, I may decide to use a prettier wood.

The gluing went smoothly enough.  When it had dried, I cut two 2mm hoops from the 44mm diameter walnut 'drum' I had made.  Things were still looking good (and my new selection of veneers hasn't been delivered yet!) so I went on to the next stage and made a base for the main crows' nest.  I also made four of the 12 stanchions that will hold the hoops to the base.
post-25-0-35328000-1443630094_thumb.jpg
post-25-0-26654200-1443630151_thumb.jpg

Tadeusz, thanks for those new pictures, especially the first and third ones.  They were a great help in designing and building  this crows' nest.

post-25-0-80344600-1443630186_thumb.jpg

I think I'll stop regarding my current effort as a prototype, and go ahead with it.  Eight more stanchions have to be made and glued in place, and then evened up for gluing to the base.
The foremast crows' nest needs to be slightly smaller, but experience so far seems to indicate I shouldn't have a problem bending and laminating within a tighter diameter.

Here it is.

Looks all right, I think.  Except that I now realise I should have left a wider gap somewhere, so that the sailors had a way of getting into the crows' nest!

Maybe I'll take one of the stanchions out.  The trouble is, if I do, it'll just look as though one of the stanchions is missing!

post-25-0-01738700-1443723547_thumb.jpg

Now to have a go at making the foremast crows' nest ...

Edited by probablynot