Int'l. Dragon Class II - by Cap 'n' Bob - 1:48 scale - small - Finished

Thanks Lawrence but it’s nothing compared to your Annie  By the way, they’re the same scale.

Thanks Popeye, but if I keep doing, “minor adjustments” I’ll never finish. :D  :D And then the admiral would . . . and then I would . . . Better not  go there. :rolleyes:  Bye

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Popeye, but if I keep doing, “minor adjustments” I’ll never finish. :D  :D[/size] And then the admiral would . . . and then I would . . . Better not  go there. :rolleyes:[/size] [/size] Bye[/size]

Bob[/size]

Hey Bob.

Time is a horrible thing, isn't it? Especially when it gets in the way of our hobbies. Minor adjustments aside, it still comes down to enjoying the journey, not the destination.

Cheers

Patrick

Yes Patrick, it is a very enjoyable journey.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Nice job Bob.  All ya need now are a suit of sails a bit of lead and a nice pond to sail her in. ;)

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Carl, you got that right but sometimes you can’t help it.

Any way moving on.  The deck is now mounted to the hull and the cabin walls and cockpit rails are in. 

Bob

post-513-0-18621500-1438979373_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-71240800-1438979386_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-58504000-1438979399_thumb.jpg

Bob,

... amazing ... so neat and sharp. Are you following in Patrick's footsteps ... small is better ... small is more challenging ... ah, well any size has it's challenges. Love the way she is truning out!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Bob

Wow, wow and wow! She's looking absolutely magnificent. In fact dare I say it, you're building a miniature ship, rather than a model of a ship.

When I was a kid, I used to build models like this.  I put a blob of plasticine on the keel for ballast and sailed them on our goldfish pond in the front garden (great memories).  I reckon your Dragon would be a perfect sailer as well!

Lovely work and I look forward to the stepping of the mast and its rigging.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks to you all for the kind words, and thanks for the comparison with Patrick, his work is great. But even though the length of the model hulls are about the same, my scale is 1:48, which is huge compared to Patrick's 1:200.  I can't imagine myself doing what he is doing.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Thanks to you all for the kind words, and thanks for the comparison with Patrick, his work is great. But even though the length of the model hulls are about the same, my scale is 1:48, which is huge compared to Patrick's 1:200. I can't imagine myself doing what he is doing.

Bob

Hi Bob and Carl

Thanks for the high praise! Not sure I deserve it though, because I've got a long way to catch up to both of you (Carl, your miniature Sea Witch is brilliant) and many others' on this Forum. In fact, I seem to make ten mistakes before I get one thing right. But, at the end of the day, it's all good fun, isn't it?

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks Lawrence and Patrick if it wasn't enjoyable we'd be doing something else.

Bob

Patrick:

I seem to make ten mistakes before I get one thing right.

who doesn't. Don't let yourself be fooled ... I made just as many if not more mistakes ... it's all in the journey my friend ...

Carl

looking really sharp Bob........ ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sorry Lawrence but updates are slow, just like me, but it’s all fun and I get there eventually, and thanks Popeye, but I had to make a change.

As I said at the start of this build, this dragon is for the admiral because I had given away the other dragon.  Any way I had just finished the mast and boom, so I showed it to her and got this response . . . “It’s not the same!”  So now the questions. “What is not the same?”  “It looks different.”  “There’s no sail?”  “That’s not it.”  “It’s smaller?”  “That’s not it.”  You get the idea, any way after several minutes of this It turned out to be the color of the hull.  Luckily she did not insist on it being natural wood and paint corrected the problem.  Now it’s on to the sails and rigging.

Slow and steady as she goes.

Bob

post-513-0-31093200-1439836909_thumb.jpg post-513-0-32399100-1439836924_thumb.jpg

Slow and steady is good, keeps you from re-do's, Bob. You should have known your Admiral would spot a difference ... they always do, maybe it's a gene ... maybe a female thing ... but they'll always surprise you with it ... mostly the moment you least expect it ...

Cheers,

Carl

:D  :D   it still kills me that my admiral's favorite ship is 'ole Nordie!   you gotta love it!  :D  :D  she looks every bit as sweet in brown...I agree about the stand as well........looks very much like a true boat slip  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Carl, "... maybe a female thing ..."  You sure have that right.

John, I hope your few days away were enjoyable.

Patrick,  I also look forward to my next update, I'm never sure how it will look until it is done.

Popeye, sorry but I can't use that stand with the sails up, and she wants sails.

Hopefully more soon.

Bob

Dragon II is good under way Bob,

a very nicely built keelboat, and beautiful planked deck....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 weeks later...

It’s good to finally be back to cutting and gluing wood.  I finished the cabin roof and the companion way.  Now it’s on to deck fittings and sails.

Bob

post-513-0-33997700-1441659459_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-80209400-1441659467_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-80233200-1441659475_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-45547700-1441659485_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob I Just caught up with this one.  Wow! what a sweet little gem this one is, I love the colour and the wood cabin with the oval brass windows.

Another Jewel is born on the Forum.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.