bdb

Falls of Clyde alert

As some of you know the Falls of Clyde, an iron hulled, four-masted, full rigged ship of 1878, is threatened with loosing her berth in Honolulu Harbor. She's in danger of being towed out to sea and sunk unless a fund raising effort can raise the necessary money to save her.

The Friends of Falls of Clyde website is:

http://www.friendsoffallsofclyde.org/save-our-ship.html

Gerald Wingrove is doing an outstanding model of Falls of Clyde. His work can be seen at:

http://www.geraldwingrove.com/Falls_of_Clyde/Menu.html

You Tube has the local announcement as well.

Please pass the word and contribute what you can.

Thanks.

Bruce Bollenbach

Member Nautical Research Guild

The situation with the Falls of Clyde continues to deteriorate and has apparently reached a critical stage as the authorities are firm on the ship being evicted from the  location in the harbor where she has been tied up and deteriorating for the last twenty years:   http://khon2.com/2016/08/12/state-rejects-falls-of-clyde-proposal-continues-with-eviction/

All this is playing out thousands of miles away from where I live and I will admit Falls of Clyde has not been on my radar very much until last year when the imminent eviction was announced. At the time I figured this rumbling about the rug being pulled out from under the ship would prompt decisive action on the part of the local nautical and philanthropic community but clearly whatever action that was prompted was not enough. Now with the announcement of this latest bad news I see much wringing of hands on social media about "what should be done" but I see no substantive suggestions, only that "they should raise money and fix it" which is obvious but not a new idea. How DO you raise money -ten million dollars maybe?-for a project like this? Clearly the money SHOULD be found and spent on the ship. It would be a cultural crime to scrap this historic and one of a kind vessel. But how? And what do you do when, as in this case, even though the task is imperative you can not raise the money a year after being given the ultimatum?

My solution would be to pass legislation that would forbid the scrapping of any historic ship older than 100 years. Any vessel that survives to 100 years would receive what amounts to "landmark status". Then coupled to this law would be a list of federally owned backwaters that would be made available for the beaching (or anchoring) of any protected 100 year old vessel that could not find a home anywhere else, once said vessel was relinquished to the government beaching (or anchoring) zone, ownership would pass to the federal government. Who would be under no obligation to repair or restore the vessel, but who could relinquish the vessel back to any non profit organizations who could demonstrate the funding and business plan to restore the vessel and make it available to the public. Vessels that could not secure funding would simply rot away. But at least they would have a final resting place and be sparred the indignity of the cutting torch. The linner S.S. United States comes to mind. SHe may soon find herself in a similar situation to the Falls of Clyde but she is not 100 years old. So maybe make a provision that a government appointed commission could step in and "save" special cases like the S.S. United States. I would rather be able to point to a rusted hulk with exposed frames sunk in the mud and say "over there is the Falls of Clyde, a once great four master" than say "The falls of Clyde was scrapped and her steel was worth $75,000. and now who knows where the fabric of the ship is, probably razor blades."

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie