Question about stoves and how the rotisserie worked

Greetings Druxey,

Yes, I have seen the same thing. My wife bought one for the kids. Perfect example of heated gas performing work. Physics in action. There is no question that the fan system would have worked. I expect that some design went into this system, since the science was already known - otherwise it never would have been tried in the first place.

wq3296

Greetings Buick...

By all means - a venturi is nothing more than a specifically shaped constriction in a duct, pipe, etc. that reduces the cross sectional area. Accordingly, the velocity of any gas or liquid of a given volume will increase as it passes through a venturi. This is why a carburetor works. Basically, the venturies in the carb take atmospheric pressure and increases its velocity to draw fuel into the air stream before entering the engine's intake system. Properly designed fireplaces and stoves incorporate exhaust gas velocity enhancement features.

wq3296

wq3296 wrote:

Properly designed fireplaces and stoves incorporate exhaust gas velocity enhancement features.

And if your stovepipe or chimney flue is the wrong size for the fire box you'll have a quick lesson in venturi effects.

Nice photos but, again, these are modern reproductions, not the original stoves. I believe the the one on Victory today is of wood to save weight from distorting the ship's hull.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv