anyone built San Juan Nepomuceno (moved by moderator)

ger.sec

hello everyone, im new here and new to the hobby and am hoping that a member has or is building the San Juan Nepomuceno by Artesania Latina 1:90 scale.  I was fortunate enough to have been given a kit by a good friend who I think had lost interest in it. at this point  the frames are attached to the false keel and the decks have been done.  I have one problem concerning the hull that I would like to settle before I attempt to start this build and that is why I joined your group because any build that is not started properly will only get worse as you go.

looking forward to this build and the knowledge that anyone can share with me.

thanks

gerry

If you go to the Kit Build Logs in Progress forum (from main page), then enter the name of your ship in the SEARCH field (top right), that will answer your question. I found five logs for that ship.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Gerry, and welcome to MSW.

Here are the links to four of the five build logs mentioned by Captain Steve. The other is the barge from the same ship :

haughtonb

kostas

augustus

Juan

Barge by Kenway

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi Gerry, I have just started building the SJ Nepumuceno. I purchased the kit in Barcelona during my holiday from a shop called Casa Palau.

The Artisania Latina kits in South Africa are very expensive hence the reason of purchasing the kit in Spain. However the AT kits are somewhat mediocre and very challenging in trying to make something decent out of it.. This is my second kit from AT the first one the HMS Endeavour was a present from my wife fro my 60th birthday. It took me 5 South African winters to finish the kit. I never have build one before and since then I have been "bitten".

When I unpacked the kit to my disappointment I find that it was only 4 mm thick instead than 6 mm. The kits from AT are now made in China. I had to reinforce the middle section of the bulkheads as they were all twisted. Further they made some modifications from the previous kits for the fore and the stern  and the ship but kept the old instructions and this  can be confusing. Therefore my advice is for you to toss out the AT instructions and refer to the drawings and pictures. From my previous experience I was advised to do the same by one the member's forum while building the HMS Endeavour.  Via the NGR'S MODEL SHIP WORLD I have find a friend in USA which assisted me during my first build.

Regards,

Renato

• 2 months later...

HI Gerry,

I would be grateful if would check the thickness of the cannons frames of your AL SJN.

Is it 1,5 mm or 2.0 mm thick? 

My model has a 1,5 mm thickness cannon frame too small if i want to add the cannon's harnesses.

My previous model AL kit the HMS Endeavour the cannons frames were supplied with 2 mm thickness.

Al has already replaced my SJN  complete rudder assembly as it was supplied in 4 mm plywood in stead of 7 mm walnut.

The quality made in Spain was much better.

Kind regards,

Renato

• 1 month later...