Yakatabune by Catopower - FINISHED - Woody Joe - 1/24 scale - Small

Well, I'm just going to jump to the end of the build here because I'm there! I added some paint details inspired by the Japanese paintings of these boats in Edo times. Yesterday, I whipped together a display pedestal to match the two I built for the Higaki Kaisen and Hacchoro models.

post-693-0-21262600-1444448370_thumb.jpg

post-693-0-56913400-1444448383_thumb.jpg

post-693-0-53229100-1444448404_thumb.jpg

post-693-0-18819700-1444448423_thumb.jpg

Now, I can get back to other projects for a bit and experiment a bit with ways to make the hanging lanterns inside to light up the interior a bit. Pretty hard to see in there right now.

At this point, I'm mostly out of larger scale updated Edo Period Japanese boat kits. However, I do have two of their older coastal transport kits (Sengoku Bune), which pre-date laser cutting. Those kits are larger than the Higaki Kaisen. What I find interesting is that they are also more like traditional ship modeler's kits. That is, they provide patterns for cutting the hull strakes from sheet wood, frames are not pre-cut, but have to built from posts and beams, etc. Many parts are pre-cut, but there is no weight or space wasted on die-cut sheets. Instead, all the pre-cut parts are neatly packaged for you.

There were two of these Woody Joe coastal transport kits. The Kitamae-bune, is now out of production, and hopefully, we'll see an updated version soon that's as nice as the Higaki Kaisen. The other is the Sengoku-bune, which they still sell. This one is kind of a generic version of the coastal transport, not quite as large as the Kitamae-bune, which operated from ports along the Western shores of Northern Japan.

Either of these would make a better display model than the Higaki Kaisen because they are larger. They are incorrectly labeled as 1/30-scale kits, but are closer to 1/53 to 1/60-scale. Been thinking that a 1/48-scale model would be ideal for display purposes.

Also, it may be time to try to scratch build a boat based on the work of boatbuilder Douglas Brooks, who'll be speaking at the NRG conference in a couple weeks. 

I'll keep you posted!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

That is a sharp looking model, Clare and I'm looking forward to your next build.  Congats on the Yakatabune!!!!  :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Outstanding! You have outdone yourself once again.

Bob R.

San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild
Nautical Research Guild

USS Constitution Ship Modelers Guild

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1:76 scale.

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Higaki Kaisen - Woody Joe - 1:72 scale

Congrats on another beautiful model Clare. This one's been added to my list of kits to get, as soon as I get into the mode of buying something else besides workshop equipment.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Clare,

Wonderful. 

The detailed log is also very good. Anyone building this kit will find the log really useful.

I'm looking forward to your next build.

Richard.

Edited by RichardG

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 1 year later...

Hi Clare.

I am just going to agree with all the posts above.

Just one extra word from me STUNNING.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 7 years later...

Hi Clare,

I realise that this is quite an old build log, but was hoping that I might ask you a question about this boat nevertheless . I loved your Yakatabune so much that I ordered a kit myself from Zootoyz and I am currently building the boat. It is not going to be as nice as yours, but I am thoroughly enjoying the build nevertheless. Thank you for your inspiration! My question pertains to the fit between the ‘house’ and the ‘boat’. Since the house is rectangular and the boat is curved, there is a gap between the sides of the house and the hull planks/walkway. I was expecting for the instructions to say something about filling that gap, but they don’t mention it. I thought that I must have missed something but I noticed the gap in your photographs too, so apparently the gap is by design. But it doesn’t seem right to me. It would be a tripping hazard for someone inside the house wanting to go onto the walkway. And it doesn’t look good either, showing some of the internal construction of the boat that is, otherwise, hidden. One only notices the gap when looking at the boat from above(ish), but it bothers me a bit. My question is: what is your opinion of this gap? Do you think it is historically correct or did Woody Joe miss something here in their kit design? Did you consider filling the gap with some wood fitted to match the space? Once again, you build this boat quite some time ago, so please don’t feel any kind of pressure to reply to my question. But i would be very interested in your opinion, if you do feel like answering it.

Seb

Sebastian

Current build: HM Armed Cutter Sherbourne

Previous builds: Yakatabune, HMS Bounty jolly boat, Dinghy