Cutty Sark by hof00 - FINISHED - Sergal/Mantua

O.K to carry on, now the turn of the Main Mast, as stated in an earlier Post, I decided to build the Top and Top-gallant Masts as separate entities. One reason for this was that it was getting very difficult to reach and I didn't want to use a Ladder to tie Ratlines!!

A couple of photos to illustrate:

post-13575-0-21201200-1438471066_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-48289200-1438471087_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

It seemed to work out o.k. and I guess the ends justifies the means, sometimes....

So, having harmonized the Yards on the Fore Mast some of the Running Rigging could be attached, I didn't worry too much about Fair Leads through the Main Top but ensured that the Rigging was not tangled in any way around other Sheets/Leads. 

Some/most of the Fore Stays were also installed.

Back Stays were also added at this juncture.

The Main Mast followed Suit....

post-13575-0-40470200-1438471631_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-59610800-1438471649_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-38624000-1438471669_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-40712400-1438471689_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-17275700-1438471718_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-57224100-1438471751_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Right, getting there....

Next job was the Mizzen Mast to complete, the Sheer Poles had to go around each Shroud, the question was how after the Shrouds were already installed? They needed to accept Belying Pins for Running Rigging as well.

The answer was to create some wooden templates of the correct size, with holes drilled for the Shrouds.

After this was done, I made the final Sheer Poles and cut them down at the Center of the Shroud Holes. These were fitted and the Sheer Poles were glued back together taking care not to glue the Shrouds to the Sheer Pole.

More Rigging.... You know your getting close when the Vangs are installed for the Gaffs!!

All Boats were tied down in their respective places at this time also, a little difficult given the amount of Rigging in the way.

post-13575-0-33478600-1438473995_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-87785700-1438474363_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-00305100-1438474390_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-52919300-1438474418_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks for your "Likes"

Much appreciated.

I'll talk about Pendants./Braces next weekend.

I hope the Cabinet details are of some use.

Cheers and Regards....HOF. (Harry.)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

How did I miss this log?

Can I join?

Great work!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

You are most welcome!!

Thank you for your kind words.

I am humbled by the diversity/quality of the models on this site.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks Boyd,

It was hard enough to reach the Main Top Gallant Stays/Braces/Halyards/Etc without having to tie the Ratlines!! (Telling myself to Breathe!! :-))

Hope my hair was o.k. for the photo!!

Maybe I could have used a Box to stand on....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

I had no idea she was that big! Looks amazing. I envy you having a whole room to spread out plans etc. I just have one little computer desk!! I remember I almost suffocated Rigging my Bounty by forgetting to breath. Keep up the good work

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Beautiful work!!  Nice detail!

Just a comment on the double O wood versions of the brass sheet.  I was intending on purchasing them and kept putting it off until a couple of years back.  Unfortunately, by that time they no longer made them.  I called double o and they didn't even know what I was talking about.  I tried again months later and that person knew what I was talking about and said that they hadn't offered it for some time and no longer offered wood products.  Such a shame.

Edited by keelhauled

Harry,

Thank you for the complement.

You really did a beautiful job.  I appreciate you going back and creating the build for us to enjoy and learn from.

You have a keen eye for detail.

Marc

By the way, awesome case!  really nice work!

Edited by keelhauled

Thanks Marc!!

I like to get on the Bigger Woodworking Tools occasionally.

O.k,  to continue, Time to tie Mainmast, (Fore/Main/Mizzen) Ratlines. this was a little difficult as all Back stays had been rigged, so it was a case of being extremely careful, trying not to break things!! Got really difficult at the Futtock level and above. Probably would have been better to tie these earlier but it was what I chose to do.

Next came pendants.... I used the A/L plans to determine the lengths of these. Looked about right at the end of the day.

I used the smallest Single Blocks from the Sergal Kit and tied to extremity of the Yards to a 2mm Brass ring held into the yard by the smallest ring Bolt that I could find. (2mm Rings feature all over this model as it gives a rotational quality to the Rigging attached,)

Tied Single and Double blocks on to various Shrouds/Stays as shown in the Grenwich Plan. (Just to point out an error in these Plans, the only one I found, is the Block tied to the Main Mast Shroud, close to the Sheer Pole, this is described as Single but is actually Double!! Try removing what is already attached and swapping for a Double at this stage, almost impossible.... So really important to have all these blocks fitted before the Braces are Rigged. (I did have some real "Fun" in a couple of other Blocks that I missed....)

post-13575-0-86115900-1438988884_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-40684400-1438988917_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-69869900-1438988939_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-71180500-1438988970_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-53454700-1438988995_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-05076700-1438989028_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-40368800-1438989060_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-47416200-1438989119_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

To Continue, after Pendants installed, time to think about Braces.

This was initially very confusing to figure out the "Run."

(I even used some Revell plans that I found on the Net to help me visualize!!)

I figure work from Top to bottom, in a manner that would not "Paint me into a corner" so to speak.

Another challenge were the Braces that were tied, (Siezed), to various Forestays, I made a thread loop and tied to the end of these Braces, fixed with CA.

I could then fix the Brace somewhere accessible on the Stay in question by running the "Live" end of the Stay running through the thread loop, pull up the tension so that the Brace would slide up the Stay, one positioned, pull up the Stay nice and tight and secure with a little CA. I did try to directly knot the Braces to the stays but the knot formed looked like Dogs B...s!! This was the only real option available to me due to the lack of space and the height of the Model on the Bench.

Braces were not "Belayed" at this stage, there was too much going on, (Very busy!!), and I wanted to ensure that the runs were correct, not interfering with each other or any other Rigging.

Quite complex to describe and quite difficult to visualize.

Once I was happy with things, I belayed all braces on the Ship.

Last thing to do, Flags and Flag Hallyard.

I used the Flags from the A/L kit and secured to the Flag Hallyard. Once done, Installed to tip of Gaff and tied to the Starboard Rail.

I have had comment that it would be better not to have the Pendants below the Merchant Navy flag but I pointed out that the spell out "JKWS" (Jock Willis, the Ships owner.)

All Done!!

A couple of notes:

• All Blocks were Stropped with 24 Ga Black Plastic coated "Artistic" Wire, Local Bead Shop sourced.

• Ratlines, Black Sewing Thread. 

• Stanchions: Billings 2 hole.

• Rigging Material A/L.

• Cross Tree Spreaders: A/L "Muntz" metal. (These were very much "In Scale." Just had to make the holes a little bigger.)

• All Standing Rigging Served.

• Fore and Aft Bumpkins made by my friendly Manufacturing Jewelers. (Logridge Spec.)

• SpiderBands, Fore/Main/Mizzen: Made again by my friendly Manufacturing Jewelers. (HOF Spec.)

• Chain Sheets/Gammoning/Halyards: A mixture of Billings and A/L (Sheets may have been a little oversize but who cares? :-))

• Sheet Chain Run and Blocks: A/L but cast in Brass. (again by my friendly Manufacturing Jewelers.)

• Railings: Hard Brass wire. (Bent and adjusted with love. :-))

• Deck house sides/Scroll work: Double O Laser (US) (As alluded to by Keelhauled,(Marc), seems to have disappeared off the radar,)

I can't think of allot more at this stage but am more than happy to advise interested Parties of my methods/solutions.

Just drop me a line.

It's been interesting to think about what went into it and good to share.

I'll end with a couple of photos....

post-13575-0-86390000-1438991847_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-83375000-1438991868_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-06471400-1438991893_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-40456500-1438991912_thumb.jpg

post-13575-0-19258700-1438991939_thumb.jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks Boyd,

The Avatar was my favorite Abyssinian, Sudamo, now sadly passed as few years ago but was also responsible in trashing my A/L Cutty Sark together with his Sister, Asmara.

(I think a very appropriate Avatar.)

Abby's are just so "Full on" and I don't think I would settle for any other type of cat.

Phoenix and Shiwa are the two at present.

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

A big round of appluse for you. From start to finish I have followed. And I'm glad i did. She looks amazing. Well done!! I really do love your rope coils hanging off the pin racks. Top job!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thank you.

Much appreciated, I hope it helps those contemplating or building.

Thanks all for the wonderful and constructive comments/likes.

I'll add to this as more comes to mind as I have really  just "Skimmed" the build.

As previously alluded to, happy for people to "Pick my brains" as I have had a couple of sleeps between September 2014 and now.

I should also add a disclaimer that my methods worked for me through trial and error, they will not suit everyone as we all approach things in different ways.

Cheers and Regards, Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson