Armed Virginia Sloop Patrick Henry by DocBlake - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - Scale = 1/32 - POF Admiralty Style

Great work on the stove Dave. Looks so realistic, and at that scale I can afford to buy the steaks :)  :)

LOL, Don!

I was really disappointed in how the stove looked before painting ; wood, paper, bits of metal and contrasting colors looked like a 5 year old's project.  But I kept telling myself that the paint will change everything.  It brought it together and camouflaged all my errors!  Thanks.

The deck beams for the lower decks installed.  The forward lower deck is where the stove sits.  The aft lower deck is really just a catwalk that leads from the hold.  The hold is subdivided into a hold proper with a light room, and a magazine where I'll add the gunpowder kegs and build the well and shot locker.

post-3900-0-62231000-1446993407_thumb.jpg

The lower deck planks are in place.  I set the stove in it's approximate position on the lower deck.  The space between the fore and aft lower decks is the hold.  It's separated from the two decks by bulkheads, and another bulkhead divides the hold into a hold/light room and the magazine.  The planking in the hold is applied directly to the frames.  There are no beams.

post-3900-0-38855900-1447002513_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-32424700-1447002526_thumb.jpg

I've started gluing up the main deck beams.  There are 12 in all, and each is comprised of three parts:  a thicker center part, and two thinner parts, with notches in them that glue to the forward and aft surfaces of the center part.  When glued up, the notches form the half-mortises for the carlings and ledges.  All in all, a pretty cool system.  The photo shows finished beams on the left, and the three components of a beam before glue up on the right.

post-3900-0-07903900-1447197416_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back from vacation with the family. 

I started framing the main deck forward.  I also built some wooden crates for the hold as cargo.  I'm painting the metal bands on the powder kegs copper colored right now.  They will go in the magazine.  These little details won't be easily seen once the deck s framed in and partially planked, but they are fun to build, and I know they are there!

post-3900-0-98387100-1449102945_thumb.jpg

New development!  The Lauck Street Ship Yard has announced that they are going to begin to produce the POF Armed Virginia Sloop kit in 1/32 scale once again.  The kit will be exactly the same as the kit in this build log, except the parts are laser cut rather than CNC cut.  If anyone is interested in a fun but very challenging kit, this is it!

http://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/avskit.htm

Slow progress.  I've installed all the beams, carlings, knees and ledges up to frame 5.  Frame 5 is just sitting in place.  Because of the bulkhead that will soon be installed, I need to install the stove on it's brick pad next.  It's a close fit, and I will likely first make the hatch with the hole for the Charley Noble so that I can glue the pad to the deck and the stove to the pad with epoxy once the alignment of the stack is right.  While the long cure epoxy is curing, I'll install beam  #5 with it's carlings and ledges, glue the hatch in place and make any final adjustments before the epoxy sets up.

post-3900-0-31569700-1449596442_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-60618800-1449596461_thumb.jpg

In order to I create a little more contrast on deck, I remade all the hatch coamings in rosewood.  I will used boxwood grating in the hatches. I made the Charley Noble (stack) out of brass, blackened it and glued the stove and grease tray to the brick pad.  I set the stove in place, along with the stack to test the fit.  Perfect.  Next is the glue up of the stove and beam 5.

post-3900-0-42769000-1449861401_thumb.jpg

The stove has been permanently glued into place.  The hatches are positioned in place, and beam #5 is ready to be glued in.  I really like the contrast between the rosewood hatch coamings and the grating and beams.

I'm thinking seriously about adding a companionway over the main hatch with the doors open to show the ladder leading below.  Has anyone seen one or plans for one?  I'll especially need to figure out how to secure the doors in an open position.

post-3900-0-63938000-1450016378_thumb.jpg

Looks good Dave, I agree about the rosewood it really adds to the overall picture. The companion way would look good, I've seen you scratch build things before so I think you'll be ok with this too. Could you not modify the AVS(MS) companion way to fit here, making some hinges out of brass would be a way of securing doors open, using gunport hinges slightly altered could also work. Bottom line is you can do it!!!!

Thanks for the "likes" everyone.  Just finishing up bulkhead #1 which separates the galley from the hold.  The wood is pear, holly and rosewood.  The hinges are Syren's flat end  gun port hinges dyed black.

post-3900-0-20475600-1450204268_thumb.jpg

I spent a lot of time on the riding bitt.  My first question was whether to leave it cherry, stock with the kit, or make a new one out of rosewood to match the hatch coamings.  Believe it or not, the bitt is made up of 11 individual parts (in order to accommodate the sheaves), with some very thin portions that would be a real challenge to cut with a scroll saw. In the end I opted to use the cherry parts and built the bit and fit it to the model.  Then I cheated.  General Finishes actually  makes a rosewood stain!  I bought a can and stained and polyed the bitt.  I made the mast stub out of cherry and added a boom support made of boxwood to add a little interest.

post-3900-0-53659000-1450831766_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-66123500-1450831780_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-14433500-1450831798_thumb.jpg

Having a little fun last night with details.  I decided that the stove needed a source of fuel, so I built a little coal scuttle.  I sawed one of my powder kegs in half, found the center point of the cut surface, and holding the barrel in the jaws of a pair of pliers to steady it, I used a Forstner bit to hollow out a shallow hole in the barrel's top.  I spread some WeldBond glue in there and sprinkled in some coarse black model railroad ballast.  The handles are 28 gauge annealed black steel wire.  A couple of coats of poly and the coal scuttle was done.  Elapsed time: about an hour.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

post-3900-0-56057500-1450966565_thumb.jpg

Congrats on a job well done Doc.  I have always has problems using stain on my models.  

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

David B

I've completed bulkhead #2 which separates the hold from the magazine. Before gluing it in place I'll add some clear plastic to simulate the glass in the light sash.  There are two gunpowder kegs that will be glued in the magazine.

post-3900-0-92288400-1451436775_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

I built a work table for the magazine and glued it place underneath the light sash.  Spent the day today researching and designing a pump well and shot locker,  In order to accommodate the structure I'll have to eliminate bulkhead #3 and move the elm tree pump placement forward a couple of feet.  It's OK, though.  The bulkhead is not structural in any way and the pumps can be located anywhere in that general vicinity.\.  Will post pictures when the well/shot locker is complete.

Edited by DocBlake

The shot locker/well took longer than I thought.  Here is the completed structure and the final appearance of the magazine.  You can see the work table and the powder kegs.  I was going to leave one of the lids on the shot locker open to show the shot inside but took the easy way out!  The well/shot locker design is from the Swan class of British sloops based on David Antscherl's drawings in his book.

post-3900-0-46421800-1452123015_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-87356200-1452123032_thumb.jpg