Armed Virginia Sloop Patrick Henry by DocBlake - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - Scale = 1/32 - POF Admiralty Style

For a useful saw I have always liked Zona Brand.  Great for delicate work and easy to find.  the #35-500 is the one I used to use all the time.

David B 

I framed in and partially paneled the window seat at the stern which covers the rudder head and tiller.  It's just sitting there now.  I won't permanently attach it until I complete the rigging that connects the tiller with the ship's wheel ( just in case I need to modify things to accommodate the rig.)

post-3900-0-62349800-1459724011_thumb.jpg

I didn't want to paint the 3-D printed windlass to look like wood, so I made my own out of boxwood and rosewood.  I will keep the ship's wheel, though.  I'll paint it to look like varnished mahogany.

post-3900-0-93512300-1459805493_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the shipyard.  I cut the scuppers into the inboard planking, then painted the inside of the sweep ports and gun ports with a sample of Benjamin Moore paint I had that matched the red heart fairly well.  I did add some Dark Vintage Maple TransTint water soluble dye to darken it a little. The deck, planking and framing were given 3 coats of poly.  I'm getting closer to the end.  The binnacle is nearly done (pictures to come).  Then all that's left are the rudder, the ship's wheel, the catheads and swivel gun supports, the guns themselves and the cabin roof framing and planking.  Did I say "nearly done"?

post-3900-0-85574800-1460830755_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-83491900-1460830770_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-59837800-1460830791_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Brian and all for the "likes"

Here is the binnacle.  This is similar to Dr. Feldman's original version as well as the MS version from their kit plans.  the top needs 2 more coats of poly, and the hardware needs a coat of Testor's DullCote to knock off the shine.

post-3900-0-95836400-1460906859_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-95887600-1460906876_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

I continue to marvel at how precise and crisp your work looks. This model is just amazing. I, on the other hand, continue to be the master of fuzzy edges. Nevertheless, it's a real pleasure and inspiration to see the results of your skills.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Thanks, David!

I decided to keep the stock ship's wheel.  I played around with scratch building a wheel, but nearly every technique I found required a milling machine. The shipyard has a formal request for one submitted to the Admiralty, but so far no word!

I painted the wheel "Milwaukee Road Boxcar Red" which is a pretty good approximation of varnished mahogany.  I may stick with the stock transom lights also. Am I getting a little lazy, or just anxious to finish the model?

post-3900-0-68279900-1460989600_thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys!

John:  I'm anxious to see you back at work on your PH as well posting further progress on Revenge.

Mike:  Your model was the trailblazer, and you built it straight out of the box.  It's a great model!  Don't sell it short. I learned a lot from your build.   In fact, I am thinking of building the LSS Halifax straight from the box, also.  There is great appeal in the more "monochromatic" look of these craftsman kits.  Many of the timbering kits out there (current LSS products, Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights) are all of one species of wood, and original admiralty models were often that way also.

a beautiful built sloop Dave,

I love it that you`re scarce with the paint brush and let the warm wooden tones work out, that gives a realistic impression, also the deck cutaway, well done

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I'm working on the gun carriages, but as a diversion I did complete the rudder.  I really hate cutting the rabbets for the straps!.  I'll fit the rudder to the ship today, and continue to work on finishing up the carriages.

post-3900-0-60734400-1461417968_thumb.jpg

I'm working on the 3-pounder carriage guns.  The kit provides parts to build the carriages made of cherry.  They are perfectly fine, but I wanted some contrast between the carriage wood and the black hardware.  I chose to use Chuck's boxwood carriages.  In my kit, the cannons are brass and came from Syren.

I built a little jig to support the brackets while gluing up the axles.  I added the transom and bolster, and rounded the axles to fit the trucks.  lastly, I added the hardware and the quoin.

The trunions for the cannons are too short to span across the full distance between the brackets, so I'll have to get some 5/64" brass rod and replace them.  The cap square isn't fitted yet.

post-3900-0-34173600-1461694901_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-51689400-1461694918_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-67900600-1461694936_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-37552500-1461694953_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-32964400-1461694971_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-53703500-1461695011_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Perfection at it's best Dave. Not sure how you always do it but I love it.

Hi Dave,

They look amazing.

David

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

• 2 weeks later...

I mounted the rudder to the hull.  The system used to create the gudgeons and pintles is different from what I've been used two.  In my last two rudders, the pintles were short lengths of brass rod, soldered to the brass strap that attached them to the rudder.  The gudgeons were likewise brass tubing soldered to the straps attaching them to the hull.  This method is different.  After cutting the recesses into the rudder to allow the pintles to slip over the gudgeons and into place, the straps are glued in place.  The pintles are simply pins pushed into the wood of the rudder.  No soldering!  The gudgeons are made of little wood semi-circles with a hole drilled in to receive the pintles.  They are then painted black.  The straps for the gudgeons are just strips of bras glued and nailed to the hull on each side.  Again, no soldering!

The rudder has no false keel and is mounted so the bottom edge is about even with the bottom of the keel itself.post-3900-0-37965500-1462721420_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-89197600-1462721356_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-51892200-1462721372_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-59920000-1462721393_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-37965500-1462721420_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

I echo Mike's words.

David

Thanks, guys...I'm getting there!  I spent some time yesterday carving the timberheads.  They are made of boxwood for a nice contrast with the black rail.  The plans call for 12 :   6 per side.  Also, the plans say they should be 3/8" tall.  I thought 12 looked too busy, so I decided on 8 total instead.  I also went back to Dr. Feldman's book on constructing the original AVS and found that his timberheads were 1/4" tall.  I made mine 9/32" tall; sort of a compromise!

post-3900-0-84476400-1462885591_thumb.jpg

I'm ready to start work on the swivel gun mounts.  My outboard bulwark planking is boxwood, and the wale is rosewood.  Any recommendations regarding the wood for the mounts?  Boxwood?  Rosewood for contrast? Cherry?  Holly?

She looks fantastic Dave!! I'll vote for the rosewood

A very nice display of your craftsmanship you got going here Doc. I'm enjoying your progress. have fun!

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER