Hi Mates, I need some advice regarding cannon ropes

I’m trying to button up details on my Vasa weather deck.

I need to coil the carriage ropes. I have seen some beautiful work here in that regard, but I don’t remember reading about any good technique(s).

How should I coil the ropes, and keep them in place before re-positioning them next to the carriages? I’m also concerned about scaring the deck with glue marks.

I do know that many cut the ropes just under the pulleys and then “attach” the coiled bits on each side.

I include a photo of my messy deck so that you may have a better take on my dilemma. Thanks for any advice. I have learned so much here at MSW in these last two years!

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-25208700-1437683384_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I used a method somewhat similar to that link, except without the fancy tools. :)

What I did was leave the ropes from the blocks long, then I would hold the long end of the rope between my fingers so that I could 'twist' it.  While doing that, I used a paint-brush and 'painted' the rope into position with 50/50 white glue/water mixture.  It's sort of hard to explain, but once I got the trick of it down, I was able to complete my coils pretty quickly and with a minimum of fuss.  After the coils are complete and trimmed, they can easily be moved around for final positioning in the wet glue/water mixture on the deck, and then shaped if needed.  Then dab with a soft cloth to remove excess glue, and let dry.

You would obviously want to do a test run or three on a sample deck section to make sure that it would not look bad on whatever decking you have.  On my holly deck, there is no sign of the glue/water mixture around the ropes, even though it was wet all around the coils.

Thanks Mates,

Very helpful indeed. The general concept seems to include white glue and water, I will do some practice runs first.

Again THANKS for the help...

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I use plastic see through counters and pushpins. See method on page one of following thread.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1310-making-rope-coils/?hl=%2Bmaking+%2Brope+%2Bcoils

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hornet,

Thanks another great technique.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Ken Foran's going through the same thing right now Michael, and he seems to have found a pretty good method for that, and he's doing them on the deck.  You'll need to read a few posts down, but he goes into pretty good detail about it, starting here at this post: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10038-us-brig-niagara-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-164/page-15#entry334302

Hope this helps a little

Cheers

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild