So boing new to this hobby I'm having a little problem with with gluing my model.  The issue I'm having is that the glue tends to be very messy.  I clean the glue as best I can when it's still wet but in the end there is always a little left.  This excess is very difficult to clean when it dry.  I am currently using titebond I, II, and III depending on how much time I need to set something.

So the question; what is the best way to apply glue to the model?

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

When I use a glue like you mention If I want to keep it neet I put it on some wax paper I keep by my work station then use a tooth pick to spread a little bit on. I also have a just damp rag or paper towel and wipe of any excess if needed. It also sands or scrapes off easy. If I use something like super glue I use one with a medium viscosity and use tips to get just a little. Generally less glue is needed then you think. It does not take much. Hope this helps.

Edited by Blue Pilot

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

I find what Mark (Blue Pilot) said.. toothpick and wax paper.  I use it also for CA.   A little goes a long way.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I started to use a little mixing stick (basically a toothpick with round point) and still got more glue on than I needed.  I guess I'm used to gluing my woodworking stuff here more is better.  

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

I find a small round watercolor paintbrush idea for applying glue to small joints. A larger wet brush takes care of any squeeze-out before the glue sets up. Make sure that you rinse the brushes well before glue sets in them!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I agree with Druxey.  In addition, for very small applications you could use a small syringe with a blunt dispensing needle.  

http://www.amazon.com/slip-tip-disposable-syringe-without-needle/dp/B007ZDHYTK/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438914072&sr=1-5&keywords=syringe

https://contenti.com/dispensing/dispensing-needle-tiplets

I find the 26 and 27 gauge needles to give a microscopic drop of glue.  I keep my syringe/dispenser combination point-down in a jar of water while I'm using them so the tip doesn't dry out.  When I'm done I'll remove the tip from the syringe with glue in it and put it on a clean syringe filled with water.  A few syringes worth of water cleans out the glue and lets you save the tip for a few more uses.  At the low cost of the tips I buy 20-30 at a time and don't mind throwing one away.

You could also get some tip caps so you can store the syringe with some glue in it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ4IO84?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This works well for PVA glue, but not for CA glue.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mahuna

For white glue I usually squeeze a blob onto the lid of a Chinese take way container. When it dries it just peels off and the lid is as good as new. I apply it with a small awl. I use CA glue very sparingly but when coppering a hull I turn a glass jar ( most of which have a concave bottom) upside down and squeeze a few drops in the middle. I use the old awl to apply this as well.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Another "tool" I find useful for applying small amounts of my glues is a wire paperclip opened up so the thin wire tip can be used to apply the glue. And the rest of the clip is your handle.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm with Druxey regarding the small paintbrush for most uses, but instead of using another brush for cleanup I use Q-tips, A pack of 100 costs about $4.00.

For fine gluing where I want just a small drop or two I bought a small plastic glue bottle with a needle applicator. A piece of 0.5mm stainless steel wire seals it when not in use :

Glue Bottle 001.jpg

Glue Bottle 002.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

All of the above is good advice.  I used far too much glue when I started this hobby too!

I use a syringe for almost all my glue application, it allows great control.

For cleanup, pretty much as soon as the glue has 'tacked' so you don't have to hold the pieces together, I just use a #11 blade and carefully 'scrape' the excess glue off (I'm using Titebond).  When it's tacked up but still fresh like this, it comes off very cleanly and easily, as it tends to 'ball up' when you are scraping it and I've had very good luck doing this.  If you let it dry, then it needs to be sanded/filed, which is more work, and also can be difficult to get into hard corners to do properly, so I always try to do the glue cleanup on each joint as it's glued.

An extra footnote: should there be a small glue blob in a corner that you missed when cleaning up, apply a spot or two of isopropanol on a brush a few times to soften the excess glue. Then scrape the softened glue off using a dental elevator or micro chisel.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank goodness for isopropyl!  But be sure to get the 91% + stuff,  A lot of it is sold at a 50% dilution...not so good for glue removal.

Maury

I made up a simple but effective scraper for removing excess glue using a reversed No 11 blade. See link below.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4679-the-kit-bashers-guide-to-the-galaxy/page-6

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

• 1 month later...

I've used a sewing needle with the eye cut in half -- cut into a 2 pronged fork.  Then I put a couple drops of CA into a plastic teaspoon (which can be bought at a Dollar store for, of course $1 for 50) and I put the fork into the drop of glue and then transfer it to  the wood joint.  This works well with very thin CA, not well with gel.

Yes, isopropanol breaks down PVA. However, it will reset if not cleaned off the joint. Isopropanol should be available at a drug store (chemists).

The simplest and most important tip that I learned from my mentor is to clean up every glued joint with water and a small paint brush immediately. It's very hard to scrape or remove glue once set.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...

Several people here refer to 'Waxed Paper' for glue dispensing.

Of course Cereal boxes are normally waxed.

So I cut up old boxes, then cut off an inch square, then after use fold it over and throw away.

Good for CA, PVA and Epoxy.

One box will last for years. :)

Nick

Several people here refer to 'Waxed Paper' for glue dispensing.

I use a small sheet of glass - a quick wipe over when finished with PVA works fine, epoxy and CA can be scraped off when set.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

While coppering the hull of my HM Brig Supply, I came across this handy CA glue applicator from Squadron (just google Squadron glue applicator)

The hooked end of the applicator traps a small amount of CA glue which is transferred to the copper plate as soon as the applicator touches it. Very clean and easy - no plates stuck to fingers :)

post-1505-0-33341300-1443655465_thumb.jpg

The applicator is made of stainless steel and was quite inexpensive to buy

post-1505-0-49615000-1443655544_thumb.jpg

The hooked end of the applicator holds a small drop of CA glue

post-1505-0-08153600-1443655612_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, I use the concave end of a glass jar as a reservoir for my CA glue.

Steve  :)

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Take an old cheap paint brush and remove the head with the bristles drill a hole on the end and insert a sewing needle then cut the tip of the eye off and you have an applicator for half the price if you were going to throw the brush away anyway.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Hi David,

I've basically done that. But my I've used 4" pieces of random dowels I've got lying around. I keep the various sized needles in a small water bottle with some water and lead shot in the bottom to keep them clean between uses ( the lead shot helps keep the bottle from getting knocked over). I keep the old brushes to apply glue in various ways. If they get mucked up, I just toss them.

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hi Guys,

I know that Isopropyl Alcohol can loosen PVAs and that Acetone will work on CA, but is there anything that performs a similar function on epoxy? Thanks.

Best,

John

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

Hi Guys,

I know that Isopropyl Alcohol can loosen PVAs and that Acetone will work on CA, but is there anything that performs a similar function on epoxy? Thanks.

Best,

John

I think dynamite or an air hammer?   :D  :D :D  :D    On the serious side, there's nothing I know of that's readily available to do epoxy and not damage the wood.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

I just saw yor reply and finally stopped laughing enough to type this. I guess at some point it's worth going with the "nuclear" option. I went that way today after PVA and CA failed. I'll see tomorrow if it was a good idea or not. The biggest problem I continue to face is trying to complete my build where I would love to start over. It turns out I need to re-paint the hull, and rigg/install deck furniture. I know I'm not that far but I hate seeing all the subpar work.

Anyway, I'm going to bull through it and finish.

Best,

John

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World