Yakatabune by RichardG - FINISHED - Woody Joe - Small

Your daughter is a lucky girl indeed Richard. Simply lovely work. Well done Sir!

Beautiful work Richard! That's turned out to be a really nice looking model. I have one unstarted on the shelf. Seeing how wonderful yours looks is making me think I'm going to have to take it down and build it. Problem is that I can think of at least 4 people that I'd like to build one for...

By the way, I think leaving the laser char on this model actually works to your advantage. It's such a natural looking color that it makes a nice contrast with the very light colored wood, making the details stand out better. 

Funny that the instructions don't mention the ropes for the rudder. Good catch.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Thanks George, Patrick, Grant, Frank, and Clare. And I really appreciate the likes as well.

This is such a great and supportive site!!

My daughter hasn't seen it yet, she wants to wait until it's complete. I have been passing on some of the comments but I had to explain what chuffed means :) .

And yes I agree with Clare, the laser char does improve the look.

All the best,

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 1 month later...

She's Complete  :) 

post-12980-0-22136800-1444790648_thumb.png

Well it's only taken a month to get everything else done! Work and home projects + some fun things got in the way (but generally in a good way).

Lanterns

These are small laser cut dowels with colored paper strips wrapped around them. 

post-12980-0-58791200-1444790035.png

In the kit, there are 5 each side but I needed them to be fairly sturdy so I only put 4 on each side where there are supports. A very small peg (turned from a toothpick) was added for extra security.

Stand

I decided not to use the stand that came with the kit. I'm not putting the ship in a display case and it would be too easy to knock off a shelf (it only weighs a couple of ounces). I wanted a dark base to show off the boat but didn't want it to be overwhelming so I took a length off poplar about 10" x 2 1/2" then added a thin layer of walnut on the top. Some 1/4" sq wood on the bottom gives a slightly floating look. This was finished with a few coats of wipe on poly and the nameplate that came with the kit.

I wanted to be able to easily remove the boat from the stand so I decided to use some magnets I already had. In the bottom on the boat I added two 3/32 cube magnets and inserted 1/8" dia 3/4" long magnets about 1/4" into the stand. These are very strong neodymium magnets that easily hold the model even with a layer of wood between the magnets. I then sheathed the magnets in brass tube (to match the brass on the model).

post-12980-0-68200800-1444793422.png

Extras

The larger Yakatabune model has some rope work on the oar and rudder. Clare (catopower) very kindly supplied the details for this. I used some of Chuck's rope (bought for my other build).

This is the oar wrapping post-12980-0-01422000-1444791446.png

The larger model has a wooden cleat to hold the oar rope.post-12980-0-04557400-1444792172.jpg.

There was no way I could fabricate this so I used 2 pieces brass wire soldered together. This was then chemically blackened (another first for me).

The oar is not very secure so I added brass wire to the pivot point and glued it to the figure supplied with the kit (he also has brass wire added to his feet!).

There is also rope added to the rudder. This is how the stern looks.

post-12980-0-90751300-1444792088_thumb.png

Well that's all for now. I don't want to make the post too long and it's late here.

I'll post the details of the lighting and final thoughts later in the week.

Thanks for reading,

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Lighting

I made a small wood base for the battery, lights, and switch to fit inside the cabin space, I didn't want any of it visible.

post-12980-0-77980300-1444876984_thumb.png

The LED's needed to be raised above the deck level. My first attempt was to used 1/8" sq basswood to make raised frames. Although it was fun making all the lap joints, the frames were clearly visible from the outside when the lights were on and looked pretty bad.

post-12980-0-15043200-1444877430.png

So I stopped for a while to try and think of a way to hold up some extremely small LED's. I found some small diameter clear plastic tube.

post-12980-0-37589200-1444879318.png

It's actually the ends from the inside tubes of a couple of ball-point pens.

The wire was threaded through a small hole in the side and the LED's fixed in place by a drop of glue at the top. The tubes were a perfect push-fit over a toothpick dowel. One dowel in the base and the other in a low frame over the battery holder. A little bit of pale yellow paint over the tubes to soften the light and some soldering of wires and it was all done.

post-12980-0-15945300-1444877429_thumb.png

The battery overhangs the edge to make it easy to pull out and the whole thing just slips into the deck well and the cabin goes over it. Nothing is fixed down.

post-12980-0-96334600-1444879638.png

This is how she looks.

post-12980-0-25340000-1444877432_thumb.png

post-12980-0-28248400-1444877431_thumb.png

Final Thoughts

My first wooden ship model is complete  :)  :).

I've really enjoyed this kit. It wasn't too difficult, was good value for money, and the instructions using just the pictures were fine. All the pieces were cleanly cut and fitted well. If you're a little heavy handed as I am, adding some support pieces is a good idea. I would also have left the side rails until the very end - you don't want to know how many times I fixed them!

I would definitely do another mini-kit as a gift and one of the larger ones is now on my to-do list (but there's 3 others in front so it'll be a while).

Again my thanks go to Clare for posting his excellent builds, pointing me to this kit, and for the help with the rigging.

Thanks also to the many kind responses and all the likes. And to Bob Riddich for his inspiring build of the Higaki Kaisen.

BTW, my daughter loves it  :D

I asked my other daughter (she's almost 11) if she wanted one. She said no, she wants me to make her a desk. This means I'm going have to get the big saws out!

All the best,

Richard

Richard

Congrats Richard! That lighting is perfect. Not to overpowering, but still enough to show off that detail. I like that easy access to the battery too. Also, I knew your daughter would love it.  :)

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Your daughter is a lucky girl Richard. The lighting looks great and adds a lovely finishing touch to a fine model. Well done, Sir!

Congratulations on finishing your ship! Really neat build for a first timer. You have something to teach us! :)

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel