HMS Victory by Seventynet - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 72 - first build

love the truck!  :cheers:

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

The planking looks perfect !!! Best wishes for the new year Ian !! :)

All the best

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Thanks so much Corey. I am obviously a glutton for punishment. I never really thought too much about how much work this would be. But I find immense pleasure working away on the Vic while listening to tunes and checking out the amazing builds on this site.

Best, Ian

Looking great Ian Finally got an opportunity to read your build! Good for you taking on the Calder craft for your first venture. You sure appear to know what you are doing with wood! Tell us, have you been in the wood business. .. lol I was debating leaving the copper plates off but as you have seen put them on. I remember going to many museums etc and one seldom saw any copper tiles on models It boils down to personal preference for me. I wouldn't worry too much about difference in Walnut shades. It adds to the the uniqueness and beauty of your ship. Looking forward to seeing more!

Rob in Calgary

Thanks a lot for the encouragement Rob. No I'm not in the wood business but I'm not a stranger to basic woodworking either. My dear old father taught me many things about woodworking and small dinghy making when I was a kid that stuck fast. But really I just take the time to read, figure things out and copy what people like you have done. I am blown away by the innovative work you have done on your Vic.

Best, Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Good day,

Well I've finally finished second planking on both sides below the wales anyway. I'll get the hull ready for the wipe-on-poly tomorrow except where I'll be fitting the wales. I can say without any reservations that I am ready to move on :P.​

post-19382-0-57455100-1452743591_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-64178600-1452743593_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-08464900-1452743595_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-41758900-1452743596_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-68440900-1452743597_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-10624400-1452743599_thumb.jpg

wow!

do you lay hardwood flooring by day?   :rolleyes:

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Great looking planking Ian, the poly will really bring out it's beauty.

Ian what a great job you have done on the planking, I particularly like the use of the cut up erasers to act as non crushing blocks.

I am looking forward to meeting you on Sunday when I come down to Calgary.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for your kind if not exaggerated words Arthur, Alan, and Don and others for pushing the like button. I would be lying if I did not admit how much I appreciate the encouragement!

Best, Ian 

Thanks Michael and I look forward to meeting you and Rob as well. It will be good to hear what's happening in your neck of the woods. I remember buying a second hand laser back in '79 when I first moved to Edmonton and putting it in Lake Wabumun.

Best, Ian

Hello Ian, 

I am very impressed! Gratulation to this wonderful work. 

It´s very exciting to watch the progress of your model! It reminds me on my own Victory and the problems I had to solve... :-) 

Keep on the very good work. It´s much fun to follow it !!!!

Best wishes

- Heinz -

Hi Heinz,

Thank you again for following my build and encouraging me. While I have you I thought I'd ask a question. I plan to use what the literature calls "anchor stock planking" for the main and middle wales. I notice you followed this approach as well. I have been looking for dimensions of these planks and found a picture that Ed Tosti provided in his excellent Victory scratch build in the "modelshipbuilder" forum (hopefully this link will work: here). I reproduce his picture below hoping I am not in contravention of posting laws (if so anyone let me know and I'll remove it): Can you suggest to me the dimensions you used and the technique you used to cut them? I was otherwise going to use the Byrnes saw with the taper jig.

Thanks, Ian

post-19382-0-30319900-1452794039.jpg

Hello Ian,

I make a photo from a picture from "the anatomy of nelson´s ships" from C Nepean Longridge.

You can see the measurements in cm I used for my model. To get them, I calculate  the proportion of the hight and width from this picture and convert them on the measurements of my model.  The result is, that the number of pieces I use is similar to the plans of Longridge. 

How I make them: the same way I make every plank on my model. First I make a drawing on the model (on the first planking) and use this as a template to make every single plank. I found out that it does´t make sense to build maybe 10 planks the same way. They want fit, because the hull is curved and the wales too. So I have to build every plank as a unicum.

To build them I used walnut wood  1000 mm x 16 mm x 2 mm

I hope this will help you :-)

Greetings !

- Heinz -

post-2856-0-35345800-1452797150_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot Heinz. I guess I am mathematically challenged. Your stated dimensions of 1000 mm x 16 mm x 2 mm - are referring to the stock with which you cut the individual planks right?

If I work with the dimensions provided by Longridge: 5/16 in. is converted to 7.94 mm and 5 in. is converted to 127 mm. I think you have written that in your notations as well. It seems to me that I should then take the ratio of these two measurements (I guess that doesn't require a conversion does it) and multiply that by my desired plank length to get the widest dimension.

So if I take the ratio of 7.94 to 127 (0.0625) and multiply it by 85 mm (this would be 20 feet at our Victory scale) I would get 5.3 mm for the widest height (and 2.7 mm for the narrowest height using the same approach). Does this sound right? It doesn't seem wide enough to me.

Is it reasonable to assume the anchor stock length should be the same as the normal planking length? 

In any case thanks for the advice on individual plank treatment - I was suspecting that would be the case and it is good to hear you confirm it.

Best, Ian

Hello Ian,

I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

The measurements you can see on the picture (12,7 ; 0,8 ; 04 cm) are the results of my calculations. So if you ask me, you just have to use this size.

1000x16x2 mm is the wood I use to build them; nothing more. But my wales are made on the first planking. This means you can not use the same wood, because you make the wales on your second planking. It has to be thinner. 

And yes, the anchor stock length is the same as the normal planking length on my model. But I could not say that this has to be. I think in real life they use the wood in the way they get it. I don´t think that the complete hull is made of similar planks. Wood was very expensive. So they use every length. I only make this because of optical reasons. It look much better in my opinion.

I am glad if I can help you, my friend!

- Heinz -

Ok, thanks for your patient explanation Heinz. I was overthinking things.

Best, Ian

Greetings, again,

I really have very little to report since last time except I have applied wipe-on-poly (WOP) to the hull below where the lower wale will be fixed. I just wanted to seal the hull. As I explained to Don I had a challenge with residual PVA. I thought I had scraped/sanded the hull down to bare wood everywhere but the WOP revealed its presence. Although I simply had to scrape/sand off the poly to get at it, it did result in several re-applications. Not much of an issue really. Put it down to inexperience and declining eyesight.

My pictures now suffer from light reflection. No idea how to fix this.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-18765000-1453395782_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-91353300-1453395783_thumb.jpg

Now that's a beautiful hull!!! I hope all thoughts of painting are gone now. I typically put on several coats at this time of the build, work on it during the day then last thing at night a quick coat of WOP, but that's just me.

Great job

Thank you for the kind words and looking in Shihawk, Don and Greg and for the likes ianmajor, Mort, Hexnut and others. It makes me feel like I have high expectations to fulfill as I inch along at a snails pace.

Best, Ian

Hello Ian that is an absolutely beautiful Hull, the poly

has just the right patina.

And the planking is 1st class as well.

Going slow is just fine, its not a job that can be done quickly

Cheers Chris