HMS Victory by Seventynet - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 72 - first build

Heinz,

I struggle to find suitable words of gratitude for your kind words and taking the time to make suggestions to improve my model. One thing I can say is that yours is the Victory model that has given me the most inspiration to try different things, including the wales. Along those lines your suggestion to create a narrow gap between the wale stock hit me right where the regret has been mounting since I started the operation. I should have applied a pencil line or something. But I will try a little experiment with a fine file to see if that will work.

I will be slowing down on the Victory for a month or so, but not stopping, while I build a little boat on the side. It's a Bluejacket Cape Cod Catboat the admiral gave me for Christmas. It will be a nice distraction and will allow me to discard the first time builder collar. This little pause will also let me gather what I need for my surprise.

Best, Ian

Excellent work on the wales Ian B) If you plan on using polyurethane for finishing them,I would say this will bring the differing shades of the timber out and make you planking pattern more visible.Give them a light wipe with white spirit,whilst still wet it gives a fair impression what they will look like when varnished ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Nigel! Is white spirit the same as what we call mineral spirits?

Nigel you are right, it looks like the poly will bring out the diferences just enough to contrast the planks - although I wish I had planned this a little better. I think that my tastes and appreciation for this kind of thing has matured since I started this hobby. Up until now I have treated this as just one more thing that my skill level needed to catch up to.

Best, Ian

Rob I hope the artilliary fire hasn't been too taxing. Look forward to coffee when you get back. I've decided to plank the upper counter with the piece you gave me of the real Victory.

Best, Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This has got to be the nicest looking victory model I've seen yet...actually just nicest model, full stop lol. So neat and beautiful :) I have been looking at this kit very possibly for my next model if I'm not being too overconfident ...if I do I'll certainly be looking back on this beautiful build log

Vinnie, very kind of you to make this comment, if not a little (a lot?) exaggerated. Unfortunately I don't hold even the dimmest candle to many Victory builders and I'm certainly not even in the same universe of many modellers. I think you will find that each Victory modeller will excel in some areas more than others while my small talent at this very early stage of the build may express itself in planking, other Victory plankers such as Heinz are more talented and experienced than I am. Thanks again and I am honored to have you follow my build.

Best, Ian

other Victory plankers such as Heinz are more talented and experienced than I am. 

Ian, 

thank you very much! You have made my day :-)

But let me tell you, that we are playing in the same league. I don´t think that my skills are better than yours. Maybe I am more patient than other modelers. And I am not afraid to try ways that are more difficult and took much more time to do. 

I would´t be able to do this without these many modelers here on this forum. They give me so much inspiration and show me what is possible. 

But I have to admit that I am very proud of your appreciation. 

Thank you so much for it 

:-)

- Heinz -

• 2 months later...

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the kind words. I am now back on the Victory and hope to be posting soon. I hope we get to see your Vic move along with those other new builds of yours but now I quite understand the need for working on something else too.

Best, Ian

I find owning a house and summer time provide all the necessary distractions to avoid boredum.

The grass continues to grow and cries to be cut.

The sun shines beckoning me outside.

More importantly..... the fish are jumping!

When I finally get downstairs to find myself emersed with the model for hours everything is fresh and new again.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Ian  Just joined MSW and am amazed by all the comments, and the skills shown on the various pages.

I am going to start Victory soon and am gob smacked how good your ship is.  It gives me hope to try harder with my builds and to take more care but I still will not get anywhere your standard.  Keep up the good work I am following your every step

Cheers Trev

Hi Trev, 

welcome here on MSW!

We all help each other and share our experiences. 

Simply do your best and don´t lose your patience. And only a few years later, you have a wonderful model :-)

@Ian: I am glad to see you are back. Could not wait to see your progress!!!

Best wishes

-Heinz-

Ah Alan, that's a picture of serenity we all strive for. May your grass continue to grow, the sun continue to beckon and the fish leap onto your hook! Thanks for looking in.

Ian

Hi Trev,

Welcome to MSW! I'll let you in on a secret. I have no real skill except patience. Take your time, read up on stuff in this amazing forum and check out the Victory builds. If there is anything I can tell you about how I did things don't hesitate to ask.

Best, Ian

Hi Heinz,

Thanks for looking in but sorry no meaningful progress to share yet. You have made amazing progress on your Vic and I hope to see more soon.

Ian

Hi Mike,

I will post a minor update in a day or two. It's been a slow restart but things are accelerating a bit now. Thanks for the shove!

Ian

Also, the Vic is one of those models that everyone needs a shovel every now and then. It is a daunting task no doubt especially with all those cannon. To me, the rigging was a breeze compared to all those cannon. At least the one I'm building now, the Montanes is mostly dummy cannon.

mike

Good day shipmates,

Thank you again Mike, Heinz, Bob, slow2cool and others for your comments and likes. Very much appreciated. As promised here is my first minor, but important update in months.

I had mentioned earlier that I was going to plank the counters. I planked the upper counter with a piece of wood, teak I think although I may be called on that, from the real Victory, courtesy of Rob (Robipod). This is the same area that the Victory lettering will eventually go. I planked the lower counter with my supply of walnut.  I spiled the teak planks and bent the walnut - only because I didn't want to take the chance of the teak cracking during a bend.

I used proportional dividers to delineate 4 planks on the upper counter. I then transferred the pencil marks from the upper counter to a piece of tape and then onto the piece of teak. The pencil marks lifted off easily. Then I cut the planks using this guide.

post-19382-0-09280100-1467665167_thumb.jpg

After fitting the upper counter I drafted my plank layout onto the lower counter and simply transferred the dimensions to straight planks. I steam bent most planks, clamped and let them dry in place then glued and clamped.

post-19382-0-96578300-1467665159_thumb.jpg

Poly will reduce the contrast between the hull planking and the lower counter.

post-19382-0-66360600-1467665165_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-56775700-1467665163_thumb.jpg

Best, Ian

By the way Ian, I found when it comes to building a model as tedious as the Victory is to try and put in at least an hour a day whether it be on the model itself or researching upcoming steps on the model. I always try and stay at least two or even three steps ahead when building. It saves quite a bit of time having to re-do things that later in the build just didn't make sense or was wrong. 

mike

That looks sweet Ian. How is teak to work with? I have never tried it for anything, it sure looks good

Hi Mike, thanks and good advice. I will try that approach.

Don, I've never worked with teak before either and I'm not sure wood that old can be representative of the real thing. This wood is very open grained, nice to sand and somewhat soft.

Ian