HMS Victory by Seventynet - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 72 - first build

Hi Zoltan, I just used PVA. I am not sure I detected a waxy character but in any case I spiled the teak planks so that should, hopefully will, mitigate any internal stress that might otherwise give the glue a hard time. Wow you learn something new everyday!

Ian

Hello Ian!

Finally an update with pictures from you :-)

I'm still not sure what I should write to you. On the one hand, I find your idea very interesting. And I like the wood very much. On the other hand, the contrast with the other timber is very large. It draws attention to this point. But the real eye-catcher was supposed to be the stern with the windows and the decorations. I am afraid it could be too much at the end...

I am very curious to see how it goes on and what the final result will look like. Once again an unusual and very clean work! I will follow it very carefully!

My best wishes and greetings to you!

-Heinz-

Hi Heinz,

Thanks for looking in and giving me your usual honest and I might say appropriate comments. They are much appreciated. I have the same concern but, aside from the teak for the upper counter which I am not that worried about contrasting (it is very close to the hull planking colour), I wanted to use the walnut to match the walnut I used for the wales. I will first have to put poly on the walnut to see what it looks like.  Now I know I've been all over the place on this and also subject to your opinion on making the wales planking fit too tightly together, but I am now considering painting the wales black, in which case the lower counter would also be painted black. If I went that way I'd have to see whether the upper counter would also have to be painted. Anyway your concern is noted and it will be important to how I move forward.

Best, Ian

• 1 month later...

Thank you for saying so Al and for reminding me of how long I have forsaken my Victory.

Best, Ian

Edited by Seventynet

Thank you guys. That's what I love about this forum - gentle, polite persuasion to get back on track - amongst all the other benefits too countless to mention. Listen, there is no scenario that involves giving up on the Victory. I love that ship. My view of things has changed though. I have really enjoyed building these smaller projects like the Cat Boat and the Gokstad and they help improve my skills. Now that I have family members clamoring for a ship of their own the motivation to build these smaller craft has increased and the pause has become longer for the Victory.

Best, Ian

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well this thing has been gathering moss hasn’t it! Hi Ronald. It’s been a while but I think I used masking tape, cut to measure after laying it over the bulkhead edges and then spray painted (can) the interior. I sort of wonder why I would even have done that but I may have completed the fairing process beforehand.

thanks for looking in.

Ian