WASHINGTON GALLEY by yamsterman - 1/48 SCALE P.0.F

Your one of the lost souls to ITG like me ... I would have fnished a 50 gram pouch of backy during the time needed when I read your story ... couldn't have been much worse on the lungs than the sanding dust ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I can't tell you how impressed I am with the quality/precision of your work on this build Mick. I received my Washington Galley plans in the post yesterday and found your log shortly afterward. I plan to mill my wood next week and then get started. I can't hope to equal the quality of your build as my tools are mostly macro sized and my modeling skill set is definitely well south of yours, but your build log will certainly give me a whole lot of inspiration and useful info at the same time. A daunting project for my first ship model, but if mistakes are any measure of learning, then I will probably be learning a lot! 

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

Hi Mike

Welcome to the party!I'm sure your skills are more than up to the job.

To be honest you don't really need any fancy tools....all my frame components were cut using a jewellers saw....the critical element is the notches on the rising wood for the frames....exactly 1/4 inch wide and 9/64 inches apart.....I used a set up on the mill but a small table saw , proxxon or Byrnes will do the job equally as well. You could even do it with hand tools if your careful.

Other than that the most useful tools are good quality chisels kept razor sharp.

My timber was milled to the exact thickness by my timber supplier....the rest is down to time and patience and careful study of the plans.....don't forget to reject anything that isn't right....my scrap box grows larger every day!!

This was my first pof full hull model....it won't be my last.

If I can help along the way don't hesitate to ask.

Looking forward to seeing your build log.

Cheers.....mick

Thanks for your encouraging words Mick. I started milling my stock today which will take me a few days. I hope to get started on the build sometime next week.I decided to use mainly Basswood and I have some other contrasting species like walnut and African blackwood for trim, etc. I'll start a log as soon as I have some progress to show. I don't think this will be an easy build for me, but I am sure looking forward to it. 

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

hi mike

look forward to the start of your build log.

should be interesting working with basswood.......will be a lot easier to fair than box......but be careful you dont go too far as its quite a soft timber.

the african blackwood for the wales and capping timbers perhaps?

we have to challenge ourselves mike its the only way we learn and progress.

theres enough talent and expertise on the forum to help you through........if in doubt ask!!!

if you dont think a component is good enough reject it and start again......basswoods fairly inexpensive in comparison to box or pear.....each rejected piece is a learning process rather than scrap.

cheers.....mick

Hugely impressive build you've got going there Mike. Plenty for all to learn from.

I'm looking forward to more.

HI ALL

TIME FOR AN UPDATE OF SORTS.

WHILST WORKING ON THE WASHINGTON GALLEY IT BECAME APPARENT THAT I NEEDED SOME WAY OF CUTTING THIN STOCK FROM LARGER BOARDS.

THE HOLLY I HAVE WAS PURCHASED FROM A CHAP WHO HAD JUST FINISHED RESTORING A RIVA AQAUMARINA.......A NICE LITTLE MAHOGANY AND HOLLY RUNABOUT FROM THE 50S / 60S ?????

WHEN IT TURNED UP IT WAS AS ROUGH AS THE PROVERBIAL BEARS POSTERIER.......NOT HAVING THE ABILITY TO PROCESS ROUGH SAWN TIMBER I TOOK IT TO A SMALL LOCAL TIMBER COMPANY ,WHO FOR A MODEST FEE, PROCESSED IT FOR ME.......DOWN TO 8MM IN THICKNESS.

I NEEDED TO CUT SOME 1/32 " PLANKS FROM THIS FOR THE LOWER DECK......I WILL ALSO NEED TO CUT SOME 1/16" PLANKS FOR THE MAIN DECK AND QUARTER DECK LATER ON.

FOR THE LOWER DECK I IMPROVISED A SIMPLE WOODEN JIG AS SHOWN IN THE FIRST PHOTO.

TROUBLE IS I WOULD NEED TO MAKE ONE OF THESE FOR EVERY DIFFERENT PLANK THICKNESS I CAME ACROSS.

IM NOT OVERLY HAPPY CUTTING THESE PLANKS THE NORMAL WAY USING THE FENCE....THOSE THIN LITTLE PLANKS CAN GET UP TO ALL SORTS OF MISCHEVIOUS THINGS IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL.

AS HAS BEEN MENTIONED IN NUMEROUS OTHER LOGS ITS FAR SAFER AND MUCH LESS NERVE RACKING TO CUT THESE PLANKS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BLADE AS IT WERE.

THE MAKE SHIFT WOODEN JIG PERFORMED PRETTY WELL, BUT I WANTED TO HAVE A GO AND BUILD SOMETHING ADJUSTABLE AND PERMANENT.

THE RESULTS ARE ENCLOSED FOR YOUR DELICTATION.......BUT THERE  IS SOME FURTHER WORK LEFT TO DO.

CHEERS FOR NOW....MICK

post-3749-0-74231100-1475084924.jpg

post-3749-0-09368800-1475084946.jpg

post-3749-0-98993200-1475084960.jpg

post-3749-0-20879100-1475084976.jpg

post-3749-0-27512300-1475084989.jpg

post-3749-0-03043700-1475085005.jpg

post-3749-0-23919900-1475085018.jpg

post-3749-0-25703300-1475085033.jpg

post-3749-0-78383500-1475085050.jpg

post-3749-0-03820900-1475085067.jpg

post-3749-0-67050100-1475085084.jpg

post-3749-0-72042400-1475085094.jpg

[Gulp/Swallow] Nice accessories, Mick. Beautifully made ... You are a very versatile man ...

Cheers

P.s. There is just such a build on the way (A Riva) http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13427-riva-aquarama-by-aydingocer-amati-radio-a-new-challenge-for-a-so-far-static-ship-builder

Edited by cog

Carl

• 2 months later...

HI ALL

ITS ABOUT TIME FOR ANOTHER UPDATE.

TOPSIDES HAVE NOW BEEN PLANKED AS HAS THE STERN ALL TREENAILING COMPETED, IVE USED 0.8MM COPPER FOR THE WALE STRAKES....WILL PROBABLY USE A DILUTE LIVER OF SULPHER TO BLACKEN THESE LATER.

SOME REMEDIAL WORK TO DO AROUND THE GUNPORTS...NOT ENTIRELY HAPPY WITH THE CONSISTENCY OF THE GAP FOR THE GUNPORT LIDS.

DECK BEAMS CUT READY FOR THE NEXT STAGE.

AT THE MOMENT WORKING ON THE SHIPS STOVE AND OTHER THINGS BRASSY.

HAD A SENIOR MOMENT A COUPLE OF WEEKS BACK.....SOLDERING THE TOP SECTION OF THE STOVE I PUT IT ON THE ANVIL AT THE BACK OF THE VICE TO COOL DOWN.....AND THEN GRABBED HOLD OF THE VICE TO TAKE SOME TUBE OUT OF THE JAWS......*$%"£!&^%*(&^%$!!!!!!!!!.....THE BRASS COMPONENT MAY HAVE LOOKED COLD BUT I RECKON IT WAS STILL A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DEGREES C. 

FORTUNATELY THE COMPONENT WAS OK......ONCE A FEW BITS OF MY EPIDERMIS WERE REMOVED.

YOU WILL ALSO BE PLEASED TO KNOW THAT MY TIRADE OF FOUL LANGUAGE,DIRECTED AT MYSELF FOR MY OWN STUPIDITY,WAS WORTHY OF THE SALTIEST OF JACK TARS.

AND YES IT STILL HURTS!!!!

PHOTOS ENCLOSED FOR YOUR PERUSAL AS ALWAYS

CHEERS.....MICK

post-3749-0-92006200-1480530366.jpg

post-3749-0-48073000-1480530381.jpg

post-3749-0-10761400-1480530392.jpg

post-3749-0-84223600-1480530401.jpg

post-3749-0-70234500-1480530410.jpg

post-3749-0-42083500-1480530420.jpg

post-3749-0-91798500-1480530433.jpg

post-3749-0-17321100-1480530442.jpg

post-3749-0-09096400-1480530450.jpg

post-3749-0-57103200-1480530460.jpg

post-3749-0-33746100-1480530469.jpg

post-3749-0-50224200-1480530478.jpg

post-3749-0-86659500-1480530489.jpg

post-3749-0-10769300-1480530499.jpg

post-3749-0-15650000-1480530507.jpg

post-3749-0-46284400-1480530518.jpg

Mick:

Very nice work.  Love the stove!  Very well done. 

May I use the photo of your burned finger for my presentation on shop safety?  I have a section on fire and heat hazards and I don't have an illustration for a burn and this would do nicely.  I can make it an anonymous finger or give you full credit in the presentation. :)   I have photos of what a Byrnes saw can do but no burns.

Keep up the good work - minus injuries.

Kurt

PS: Shipped plan set #80 yesterday - surprised there are not more builds.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Mick,

Why copper for the wale fasteners?  Were they bolted in?  Having worked with the PHILADELPHIA, I realize they did a lot of non-standard things.  Wasn't sure if this was one of them.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi chuck

The copper bolts are something of an experiment.The Wales are ebony and I didn't fancy making ebony treen ails....the copper will blacken with liver of sulphur without staining the ebony.....once done I hope they blend in...I still want them to be seen but in a more subtle way.

They may well have bolted in practice as the full size timbers are 6 inches thick.

Hope this plan makes sense.

Cheers...mick

Really wonderful progress.

But why want you paint your stove? I think, you will get a much better result if you burnish it.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Absolutely FIRST RATE!!!!!!!!!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Wonderful work on the ship and stove, Mick.  Not so wonderful on the finger.   I think we all do "senior moment" stuff from time to time and hope there's no permanent damage.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 months later...

HI ALL

MANAGED TO GRAB SOME MODELMAKING TIME OVER THE LAST WEEK.......NO WORK! NICE LITTLE BREAK.

STOVE HAS BEEN PAINTED AND PUMP WELL AND SHOT LOCKERS FINISHED.

TIME TO START ON THE MAIN DECK.

BEAMS HAVE BEEN PREFABRICATED FROM SLIGHTLY THICKER STOCK AND SANDED TO SHAPE.

BASIC RUDDER ASSEMBLED  JUST NEEDS THE IRON WORK DOING.

PRECUT SOME HOLLY READY FOR TURNING THE HOLD PILLARS.

TREATED MY SELF TO A NICE LITTLE SHERLINE SELF CENTERING CHUCK........OUCH A TAD PRICEY IN THE UK!!!!

BUT INFINITELY SUPERIOR TO THE FAR EASTERN OFFERINGS.

THATS ALL FOLKS...FOR NOW AT LEAST.

CHEERS....MICK

P1020028.JPG

P1020030.JPG

P1020035.JPG

P1020036.JPG

P1020031.JPG

P1020029.JPG

P1020037.JPG

P1020040.JPG

P1020039.JPG

P1020034.JPG

P1020033.JPG

Even if you took a long time to get something out of the shipyard, it does look really good, Mick. Stove turned out rather nice, despite of the burn stains from the apprentice cook ;) The beams for the main deck turn out real spiffy

Good to see you making dust again

Cheers mate

Carl

Mick:

I have missed your updates.  Nice work as usual.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights