Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 2 weeks later...

hi again

i forgot to mention in the previous post that a little help is required.Regarding the lateen rig. The plans show only the basic position of the ropes.

my knowledge of lateen rig is scanty to say the least.

some help with regards to how the ropes were attached to the yards and how the ropes were joined together (see photos) would be gratefully received.

cheers....mick

P1020781.JPG

P1020782.JPG

P1020783.JPG

P1020784.JPGall photos courtesy of nrg/msw

Edited by yamsterman

Mike

i read your entire log and now I’m getting ready to start my galley. Still trying to decide on which wood type to use when picked I’ll then rip and mill to size. I think I’ll start my log when I order my timber.

i love your work and have one question, oh maybe more but one for now. Did you use silver solder on the stove? Ok another question what silver did you use sheet, wire, or paste?

your work is amazing and something to try for

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

hi will

look forward to you starting your log

with regards to the stove.......silver solder paste as used by jewellers was the prime "glue".

comes in three basic forms low temp medium temp and high temp.........start with the high and work down to the low for the final bits.

i did try using two part epoxy on a previous attempt but was not happy with the results.

cheers....mick

• 1 month later...

Mick did you ever find info on the rigging you asked about? I’m finishing up a project and hope to start my Washington in a month or so.

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 year later...

hi all

cant believe its been so long since i posted anything!

unfortunately two family bereavements, both parents, and being recently made redundant after 27 years with the same company has kept me otherwise engaged.

I have not forgotten about everybody and the site and hopefully will soon be back in the thick of it.

cheers....mick

Hello Mick,

Actually it has been a lot longer! Sorry to hear about your parents, and work. I don't know about the UK, but here it's not easy to find another position as I found out recently. God speed getting a new and fitting one.

Take care

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

hi carl

thanks for your kind words . finding another job is going to be a long slog.....not entitled to benefits other than jobseekers allowance for six months,which will not amount to a great deal ....apparently i have too much money in the bank!!!!!

taking the opportunity of my enforced sabatical to catch up with a few jobs before i can get back to modelmaking.

parents estate will be resolved this week   so one less thing to worry about.

must endeavour to get washington galley finished and then decided on the next project.

just had three deliveries from chuck at syren will take the obligatory photos once the camera battery has charge up!

cheers...mick

Wow fantastic job on the hinges, are they the correct thickness? looks a bit thick to me but might be the pictures.

The build is really progressing nicely and I love the shop, wish mine looked that good! 

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

hi guy

I reckon the hinges work out to approx 1/2 inch thick in real life.

started off with k+s special shapes metal 1/16 by 1/32 as the basic strap material which was the soldered and filed to shape.

In an ideal world i would have prefered 1/16 by 1/64 but could not get hold of any so they do look a bit chunky.

Im not sure the guys that built these ships would have been overly concerned, they would have probably used/manufactured whatever was to hand.

Im off now to scour the internet looking for brass strips!!

regards...mick

10 hours ago, yamsterman said:

hi guy

I reckon the hinges work out to approx 1/2 inch thick in real life.

started off with k+s special shapes metal 1/16 by 1/32 as the basic strap material which was the soldered and filed to shape.

In an ideal world i would have prefered 1/16 by 1/64 but could not get hold of any so they do look a bit chunky.

Im not sure the guys that built these ships would have been overly concerned, they would have probably used/manufactured whatever was to hand.

Im off now to scour the internet looking for brass strips!!

regards...mick

There are a lot of suppliers here so I am sure you will not have any problems find a supplier there.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

On 3/18/2021 at 1:23 AM, yamsterman said:

Quite true.  Reading about the conditions while building my PHILADELPHIA was quite interesting.  WASHINGTON would have been the same.  At the time, the location was pretty much in the middle of nowhere.  They builders had the benefit of a working (captured) lumber mill, and alot of wood but the other necessities such as cordage and ironwork...not so much.  Those had to be purchased from and carted in from shipbuilding locations that were already short of supplies because of their own needs.  I also recall them having problems finding craftsmen.  They sometimes had to pay very handsomely...noting at one time the craftsmen were making more than the admiral of the American navy.

Half inch hinges are fine.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

hi all

some more photo experiments.

some with just led room light on.

the yellower ones are with the desk lamp on.

1/10 scale resin busts.

naval midship man about to board enemy vessel

a pirate!!!

and just for fun wellington and napolean.

moderaters feel free too move these if they are in the wrong section.

cheers...mick

P1020813.JPG

P1020814.JPG

P1020815.JPG

P1020816.JPG

P1020818.JPG

P1020819.JPG

P1020821.JPG

P1020823.JPG

P1020824.JPG

P1020825.JPG

P1020826.JPG