WASHINGTON GALLEY by yamsterman - 1/48 SCALE P.0.F

hi don

false keel cut from 3/16 x 1/16 stock

hog cut from 3/32 x 3/16 stock as a seperate piece on top of the keel.......makes it easier to cut the rebate in the keel this way.

ask as many questions as you like,hopefully i will be able to provide an answer but if i cant we can throw it out to the forum.......bound to find out the answer!!!!

cheers....mick

IS THE HOG AND FALSE KEEL CUT OUT OF the 3/16in stock, the problem I have is I can not visulize were to make the frame cuts do I cut it from the top the 3/16 top. I HOPE I AM EXPLAINING IT OK, also jeff does not give any dimensions like for the keelson etc , also DAN PARISER from the NRG is MY MENTOR GREAt, GREAT HELP ALWAYS AVAILABLE WHEN NEEDED THANKS Don

Don,

I too am working on the WASHINGTON.  I plan to unveil my build log on 11 October.  That date should have some significance to all you Washington and Philadelphia builders.

I made the keel/hogging and rising wood from the same piece.  Using my Byrnes Saw I cut a slot that I will eventually work into the rabbet.  To determine where to make the cuts, I cut a section of the keel/rising wood from the plans and glued it to the piece using rubber cement.  Normal glue causes it to stretch too much.  Prior to this, I marked the cut points on to the wood using the section of the plan that is glued to the build board.  This ensures that the paper glued to the keel lines up with the frame location on the build board.  It took some doing, but I was able to do it.

All this requires that you have enough copies of the plan.  NEVER CUT UP YOUR ORIGINAL.  I take my plans to a reprographics center which gives precise duplication.  Places like Kinkos can be off a percentage or two.  On some of my models that doesn't matter.  Here it does.  The downside is that they will not reproduce any copyrighted material unless you have permission.  The upside is that NRG provides a permission letter.

Once I have the plan affixed to the keel, I use my Byrnes Saw as a mill, much as Mick did.

Chuck

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Don....why not actually start a build log of your own.  I do think it would be much better and so not to have kinda to builds going on in one topic.  I think it would be easier to ask your questions that way.  We would all love to see your Washington develop and progress.  :)

Chuck

Don,

I sent you a PM on the re-sizing problem rather than hijack Mick's topic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

WASHINGTON GALLEY  PART 8 CANT FRAMES

HI ALL

ABOUT TIME FOR ANOTHER UPDATE. BEEN DISTRACTED BUILDING FURNITURE FOR ONE OF THE LADS I WORK WITH AND STARTED BUILDING ANOTHER PROJECT......18 CENTURY LANTERN CLOCK .

HOWEVER ITS TIME TO GET TO GRIPS WITH THE FORWARD CANT FRAMES.....AWKWARD LITTLE SWINES!!!!

FIRST PAIR HAVE BEEN SET.....WAITING FOR THE GLUE TO DRY....NEXT TWO PAIRS WAITING TO GO IN.

PHOTOS ATTACHED.....COMMENTS ,CRITISMS...HOWLS OF DERISON GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

THE ONE THING I WILL BE DOING IS REPLACING THE LOW ENERGY BULB IN THE SPARE ROOM WITH AN LED BULB...A BRIGHT WHITE ONE......IT SEEMS THAT THE CURRENT BULB IS TOO YELLOW HENCE THE CRAPPY PHOTOS.

I ALSO REPLACED THE PREVIOUSLY MADE WOODEN JIGS WITH SOME MADE FROM 5MM ACRYLIC,IT WAS LURKING IN A CORNER AT WORK SO IT HAD TO GO!

THE WOODEN ONES WERE FAR TOO CUMBERSOME TO FIT IN THE FAIRLY TIGHT SPACE AT THE BOW,

THATS ABOUT IT FOR NOW........MORE CANT FRAMES TOO FIT!

CHEERS.....MICK

post-3749-0-96507400-1448641297_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-11524700-1448641312_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-39460800-1448641333_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-23517100-1448641346_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-16284000-1448641363_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-48348000-1448641383_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-79386300-1448641398_thumb.jpg

hi carl and Patrick

had to have a rethink with the support jigs for the cant frames........the original wooden ones were far too "clunky".......theres not much space at the front end so something thinner was required........the acrylic was stuffed up a corner in the engineers shop at work.......so it was duly liberated,with permission of course! and is now stuffed up a corner in my workshop..........useful stuff!

more cant frames to do this weekend and then on to the hawse pieces.......should prove interesting and frustrating in equal measure.

cheers for now.......mick

One of the conundrums of plank of frame building is that the more difficult areas of construction, the cants and hawse timbers, are addressed before the relatively easier full frames. Setting the cant frames at the proper angles as well as aligning with the half-breadth can be very challenging. I'd use the lucite jig on the fore face of the cant to insure the angle and a machinist square (http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H2993-Machinists-Square-4-Piece/dp/B0000DD4EE) to align with the haft breadth on the plan. I also leave a little extra wood on the fore face, as over-bevelling prior to fairing can cause major issues. Finally, don't be afraid to use isopropyl alcohol to remove a cant or hawse timber that doesn't look right. I don't know many plank on frame builders who have not had to redo one (or multiple) cants or hawse timbers.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Can you flip your plexiglas supports around?

I realize the gusset backing will be in the way but possibly you need only half of the support?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

hi greg

life may suddenly become a little easier if I follow alans suggestion in the previous post.........ive bevelled the cants to just outside the printed line on the plan.....so with the thickness of the line as well there should be enough meat left on for final fairing........but if not then the iso will be unleashed and frames remade.........I need the practice prior to starting the echo cross section...and swan....and euryalus....and half a dozen ancre publications

should keep me busy till I'm feeble in the cerebral!!!

on a different note ive been lurking in the shadows watching your hms speedwell build........plans in the pipeline at any point soonish?

the framing seems a lot more complex than ron McCarthy envisaged in his book building hms cruiser

I'm presuming that speedwell was the 1752-53 program for 140 ton sloops......ref to ian mclaughlins book pg 213 ?

which would make her contemporary with cruiser,wolf and happy albeit with minor differences.

I do have the nmm draught for cruiser but my draughtsmanship skills are primitive to say the least hence the question regarding plans.

look forward to following your outstanding work on speedwell.

cheers....mick

Sometimes we are just to close and involved to see "outside the box"... that is where an extra set of eyes come in handy.

I like the 'see through' option of the plexiglas

I also have a set of machinist's squares and find them very handy

So I am torn between Greg's suggestion and what you are doing!

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

hi alan

the machinists squares do come in handy ......I have about four pairs in different sizes......the awkward bit is keeping the base of the cant frame fixed to the deadwood as there is no rebate for it to sit in its just glued to the deadwood......and then keeping the lower water line at the right height.....turns into a juggling act.

I can see where the square comes in....but the frame still needs to be clamped in some way to hold it in position......I have a multiplicity of clamps.....but none the right size!!!!  even my smallest toolmakers clamps are too big ( 1" capacity) not too mention far too heavy......this is a small model even in 1/48 scale.

I think some time spent making some clamps a la EDTs build logs would be time well spent!

on reflection I should have gone for acrylic supports for the stern and bow aswell as they could have been made less cumbersome.....I may well rejig before I go any further.

thanks for the second pair of eyes!!!

cheers....mick

HI ALL

WORK ON THE CANT FRAMES CONTINUES......NEXT PAIR HAVE BEEN FITTED.

THE ACRYLIC JIGS HAVE HAD A LINE SCRIBED ACROSS AT THE LWL LEVEL....HOPE THIS SHOWS IN THE PHOTOS.

THE NEXT TWO PAIRS OF CANT FRAMES WILL HAVE TO BE SUPPORTED BY A FRESH PAIR OF JIGS.......THIS AFTERNOONS JOB WHILST THE GLUES SETTING......UNFORTUNATELY DESPITE ALANS SUGGESTION TURNING THE CURRENT JIGS AROUND MEANS I CANT GET MY CLAMPS IN PLACE.

NOT A MAJOR PROBLEM THE BYRNES SAW WILL MAKE SHORT WORK OF MAKING A NEW SET......I SHOULD OF GIVEN MUCH MORE THOUGHT TO THESE JIGS IN THE FIRST PLACE........FILE THAT IN THE MEMORY BANKS FOR THE NEXT BUILD!

ANYWAY PHOTOS ENCLOSED FOR YOUR DELICTATION.

CHEERS.....MICK

post-3749-0-83568400-1448881654_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-33154700-1448881669_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-71897600-1448881685_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-17451900-1448881699_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-97856200-1448881713_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-51860400-1448881727_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-91460600-1448881740_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-35920000-1448881754_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-75978800-1448881766_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-02895000-1448881779_thumb.jpg

the scribed line is quite clear.

looking foward to seeing the next generation of jigs as it might be worth copying

(I thought the first generation was ingenious)

Alan O'Neill

Click! Light bulb on now. :)

One picture (or in this case a series) does the trick. Thanks, Mick!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Mick, the first few and the ones showing the overall acrylic supports for the cant frames on top of your build board. Wasn't visualizing the supports until I looked at the overall ones. Takes a while to get stuff drilled into this Irish-Sicilian skull. :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

hi ken and dave

glad to be of any help with my heath robinson jigs. it would have been better if I had left another 1- 1 1/2 inchs between the stem and the stem support.......would have provided much better access to the cant frames.......we live and learn hopefully!

cheers....mick

Not much stuffin' up, Mick ... i.e. the acrylic ... Now you find 1" - 1.5" more would be nice ... in your next build you will probably find another option ... we just keep on learning, and the more builds we seee ... the more we might learn - it's just a matter of retention ... (sometimes I feel like a colander with hughe apertures)

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...