WASHINGTON GALLEY by yamsterman - 1/48 SCALE P.0.F

Hi yamsterman                                   Great build i am watching with great interest,hope to start on WASHINGTON in the future.

Dearest regards Janet B

hi patrick

progress has been slow and steady....couple of frames needed remaking as they wernt up to scratch.

with approx 9 pieces of timber plus upwards of 20 bolts per frame i can see why it takes years for a fully framed model to be completed.

i work fairly slowly and have to cut all the frames by hand as i dont posess a scroll saw.....no where to put one anyway!!

this is a fairly small model as well only 48 or so frames plus stern timbering!

i am indeed chomping at the bit to get some more frames raised.....but this is also going to be little by little....all those sills and lintels need to run in a fair curve so.....steady as she goes!!!!

still dropping in every so often to view your miniature marvels.....ive just brought a copy of phillip reeds building a miniature navy board model.

seriously tempted to have a go a something simpler in the same style.

cheers for now....mick

Hi Mick

Totally understand where you're coming from. Something's just can't be rushed.

BTW, I also have Phil Reed's book, which I used extensively to build my Pandora and Lennox models. I only wish I was even 10% as talented as him!

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Better slow, and steady, Mick, than fast, and furious at yourself afterwards. Looking forward to that gentle sweep a yours. So far I'm enjoying the ride!!!

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 months later...

HI ALL

ITS ABOUT TIME FOR ANOTHER UPDATE.

BEEN PREOCCUPIED WITH NON SHIP BUILDING STUFF RECENTLY..........HOWEVEVER WORK HAS NOW RECOMMENCED ON THE WASHINGTON GALLEY.

FRAMES HAVE BEEN RAISED!

I PRECUT THE DADOES FOR THE SWEEP PORTS......BUT FORGOT TO DO THE ONES BETWEEN FRAMES 5 AND 6 ......DOH!

I WILL CUT THESE IN SITU WHEN I DO THE GUN PORT SILLS AND LINTELS.

SO FAR THE FRAMES AFT OF THE DEAD FLAT HAVE BEEN RAISED.......SHOULD GET ROUND TO THE REST LATER THIS WEEK.......THEN COMES THE TRICKY BITS!

PHOTOS ENCLOSED AS PER USUAL

ALL COMMENTS WELCOME.

CHEERS.....MICK

post-3749-0-87104500-1460992705_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-87294600-1460992721_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-50583300-1460992732_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-53681600-1460992743_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-07145800-1460992754_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-85480200-1460992764_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-63974000-1460992778_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-81366900-1460992788_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-11211500-1460992799_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-75716500-1460992809_thumb.jpg

HI ALL

FRAMES ARE NOW RAISED!!!!

WITH ONE SMALL BOO BOO!!!!

PORT SIDE , FIRST HALF FRAME, LETTER "R" ON THE PLANS WAS,WELL, ALL OVER THE PLACE.

MUST HAVE BEEN A LACK OF CONCENTRATION WHEN FIXING THIS ONE.

SHIP BUILDERS BAND AID TO THE RESCUE......LIBERAL SOAK WITH ISO AND THE OFFENDING ITEM HAS BEEN REMOVED.

FORTUNATELY IT SEEMS I SANDED THE ANGLE AT THE FOOT INCORRECTLY.....VERY CAREFUL USE OF THE PROXXON SANDER AND THE CORRECT ANGLE HAS NOW BEEN ESTABLISHED WITH MINIMAL LOSS OF MATERIAL.

I WILL SEE HOW IT LOOKS WHEN IT GETS TRIAL FITTED TOMMORROW........IF ITS NO GOOD A NEW PART WILL HAVE TO BE MADE......BUT SO FAR IT LOOKS OK.

NEW PHOTOS ENCLOSED.

NEXT UP WILL BE GUNPORT SILLS AND LINTELS.

CHEERS FOR NOW .....MICK

post-3749-0-45386100-1461260025_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-73866500-1461260049_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-08790700-1461260066_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-03691800-1461260078_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-84262900-1461260095_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-88179600-1461260109_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-77232100-1461260129_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-43884400-1461260144_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-27261900-1461260157_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-59051400-1461260169_thumb.jpg

That looks great Mick. You are making super progress. I have this set of plans in waiting. I may start it next year after I get more experience. Right now it looks like it would be overwhelming for me.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Unfortunately, I just found this build log. Before you get too far down the road, I suggest that you purchase a copy of Warships of the Great Lakes, 1754-1834 by Robert Malcomson, an author who specializes in Great Lakes naval history. Among other things, this book includes a copy of the Admiralty draught from which these plans and Howard Chapelle's plans were drawn. The level (or lack of) detail is interesting. For example, there is no stern elevation and the stern shown on the NRG plans is a complete reconstruction. Instead of windows, there is documentary evidence that the Washington had stern chasers, as well as a heavy gun in the bow. Contemporary sketches reproduced in Malcomson's book show these and a letter written by Washington's commander, David Waterbury states that he was forced to surrender because his stern chasers would not bear.

After defeating Arnold's fleet in the fall of 1776 the Royal Navy was in complete control of the Lake and no longer had any use for heavily armed warships. They did need transports to keep John Burgoyne's army supplied during its summer 1777 offensive. Therefore, during the winter, Washington was converted to a big and would have served as a transport. Malcomson reports that the guns were removed from the vessels of the fleet in 1777. The work performed in the winter of 1776-1777 would have been extensive as the masts would have been shifted to account for the change in rig.

It is fairly clear that the Admiralty draught reflects Washington after she had been converted to an armed brig transport as the bowsprit is shown. As a lateen rigged galley, she did not have this spar.

Roger Pellett

hi alde

thanks for stopping by.I chose this ship to model for several reasons.

firstly it was a contemporary vessel to the sloop model I constructed previously and at the same scale.

secondly the research was pretty much done so no redrawing of plans,which I would hesitate to attempt , plus plans and frames were all drawn out.

thirdly it was a relatively straight forward hull shape,single decked,lateen rigged,with a modicum of armament and some interesting fiddly bits.

prior to starting this my only other scratch builds were the sloop and importantly the triton cross section. I would highly recommended this as a starting point for learning about frame making etc.

Washington was to be my first venture into a full hulled framed model. this was intended to be a learning curve prior to starting a fully framed model of hms echo ( I shall attempt the cross section first as a taster) and then hms euryalus.

all of this is thanks to model ship forum and learning from some seriously talented modelmakers on here.

go for it alde....whatever you decide to do there will be plenty of help and encouragement along the way.

cheers....mick

hi roger

thanks for the info....I will have a look for that book.

I started this project as it was contemporary to the royal naval sloop which I had built previously, although this was a conjectural model as the plans exist but there was no firm evidence the ship was actually built, and it was available from the nrg as a researched package.

unfortunately I don't have masses of knowledge of this period , the model is being built because its interesting and a stepping stone for me in construction techniques........but the extra info is always helpful.

many thanks

cheers....mick

Hi Mick, Thanks for he encouragement. I am still at the kit phase right now and just learning how to work with wood and some of the tools. I have the books and plans for the HMS Naiad and that is one of my ultimate goals. The Washington will be a great stepping stone for me once I graduate to a fully framed model. Right now my work quality is pretty low compared to what I see from some of you guys on the forum but I expect that at my level. I will retire from my job in a couple of months and will have much more time to put into the hobby. I will probably start building some frames and other parts pretty soon to see how it's done and work with some better wood than I am use to in the kits. I have a couple of pieces of boxwood and swiss pear to play with. I may try one of the cross sections to get started. That's a great idea.

Al

Current Builds:

hi al

congrats on the approaching retirement......ooh for all that lovely time for modelmaking.....oh well only twenty more years of toil to go.....government permitting.

enjoy experimenting with the pear and box....nice sharp tools and you will find it a revalation compared with the average kit material.

if at first you don't succeed......chuck it in the scrap box and try again!!!!

oh and invest in some isopropanol alchohol its bloomin useful stuff!!!

cheers....mick

hi al

congrats on the approaching retirement......ooh for all that lovely time for modelmaking.....oh well only twenty more years of toil to go.....government permitting.

enjoy experimenting with the pear and box....nice sharp tools and you will find it a revalation compared with the average kit material.

if at first you don't succeed......chuck it in the scrap box and try again!!!!

oh and invest in some isopropanol alchohol its bloomin useful stuff!!!

cheers....mick

Mick, I remember when I had 20 years to go. I know it's hard to belive but it goes pretty quick. Especially the last 5 years. I enjoy my job working for the Navy but have been at it nearly 37 years. I have to deal with some health issues and do plan to make ship modeling one of my priorities.

I sure I will be looking for help and encouraging words in the process.

I plan to get my keel parts made for the cross section in the next couple of weeks since I have the box wood and pear. May as well jump in with both feet.

Al

Current Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

hi all

time for another update. been busy installing gun port sills and stern framing,

starboard side stern framing had to come out as I made a boo boo with a couple of measurements.

port side is ok.

made up a clamp to act as a saw guide for cutting out the sill rebates.....just a couple of pieces of 1/16 x 1/4 brass with tapped holes on one piece and clearance holes on the other for 3/4 inch 8ba bolts......I used an 8ba box spanner to tighten the nuts.....the silver tube in the photos.

just one more set of sills to go before I start on the lintels and finish the stern framing......then the sweep ports to fit.....and on to fairing the internals before fitting the keelson pieces.

photos enclosed as per usual.

all comments and screams of approbation welcome.

cheers for now.......mick

post-3749-0-17662800-1463776835.jpg

post-3749-0-96643500-1463776851.jpg

post-3749-0-31470300-1463776865.jpg

post-3749-0-82340500-1463776882.jpg

post-3749-0-83811000-1463776901.jpg

post-3749-0-20943600-1463776913.jpg

post-3749-0-99492200-1463776928.jpg

post-3749-0-59938400-1463776949.jpg

post-3749-0-17487700-1463776965.jpg

post-3749-0-02440400-1463776980.jpg

post-3749-0-36471900-1463777007.jpg

post-3749-0-28829200-1463777023.jpg

post-3749-0-44378300-1463777047.jpg

post-3749-0-59532600-1463777079.jpg

post-3749-0-88297900-1463777096.jpg

post-3749-0-74263600-1463777111.jpg

post-3749-0-47626100-1463777126.jpg

post-3749-0-98539900-1463777148.jpg

Mick,

Another nifty clamp ... creative brain you've got. Glad we don't need to pick your brain for these things, but get it during the build ... Love the way the 'skeleton'is coming about ...

Cheers mate

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

hi carl

the clamps not my original idea.....sort of borrowed and adapted from various sources.....you definitely wouldn't want to pick thru that grey soup of mine that passes for a brain.....sometimes wonder how I even put my socks on!!!!!

nice to hear from you again......need to see you cutting some more wood shipmate!

cheers....mick

hi patrick

thank you.....its coming together slowly!

plenty of mistakes and re working along the way.

might have something presentable in six months or so!

ways to go before the deck beams go in......finish frame work....fair.....internal works,keelson thickstuff limber boards etc etc.

might get to the main deck around Christmas time!!!!

thanks for looking in

cheers....mick

Looking great, Mick.   I like that cutting jig for the ports.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hi mark

thanks for dropping in.....jig proved most useful as a saw guide for the bottom cut of the sill.....then as a resting point for a piece of timber,which was the thickness of the sill minus the thickness of the saw blade.

hopefully this has kept everything lined up and rebates nice and tight.

borrowed and adapted the jig from various builds....I think jeronimo was the main inspiration.

now to rework those pesky filling frames on the starboard side!

cheers.....mick

hi albert

thanks for looking in.....I hope one day to be able to emulate your standards sir!

cheers ......mick

Mick, you are far and above me in skill and work quality. I am getting closer to being able to take on a project like yours but small steps for me. I am taking your suggestion and starting the Triton Cross Section. It will be very slow going though because I still have the schooner to finish.

Al

Current Builds: