Being fairly new to ship building I was wondering what building boards are used by our more experienced members.  I saw numerous posts on other sites about the "Fair a Frame" and how terrible it is.  Then I see on this site that someone recommends it.  I'm easily confused so if someone can enlighten me as to the best one, kind , or type to use I would appreciate it.  Thanks  

Hi Sgt.

Check out the thread here on building boards. Quite a few people are recommending looking at different build logs to get an idea of how others are doing it. There is also at least one discussion about other options, just can't seem to find the link right now.  Good luck in your efforts and welcome to MSW.

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Being fairly new to ship building I was wondering what building boards are used by our more experienced members.  I saw numerous posts on other sites about the "Fair a Frame" and how terrible it is.  Then I see on this site that someone recommends it.  I'm easily confused so if someone can enlighten me as to the best one, kind , or type to use I would appreciate it.  Thanks  

I've actually never seen anything good posted about the 'Fair a Frame' by anyone who actually got it, so I must have missed the recommendation here!

A basic building board is just a flat board (MDF shelf is what I used) and a couple of strips of wood to hold the keel.

Sgthod,

Have a look here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-materials-and-tools.php for "Tools not to bother with".  Fair a Frame is mentioned.  However, sometimes (me included) by tools that aren't recommended by anyone just because...  ;)   I had the Billings version and while not perfect, it worked for me until I discovered better ways. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Once planking has been done, then an old sofa cushion also works as a soft bed. Just gouge out an appropriate sized hull-shaped section with your hobby knife, and it's good to go.  

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Here's a LINK to the building board I made for HMS Vulture. The end supports can be made from ply if you can't work with acrylic. They are removable for when you need to work on either end of the hull - the other one will stop it from tipping, and there are also two screws that come up from under the board into the keel. These have nuts set into the keel, and are used for the permanent mounting pedestals later on.

Note there are two longitudinual timbers underneath the flat board, set in about 25mm from the edge - they not only stop the MDF from bowing, but make the whole thing easier to lift as you can get your fingers under it.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hello.

And welcome to MSW.

I have never used a commercial building Jig or board.

Always used a flat piece of MDF or other sheet timber I have lieing around.

Plan the size and make supports for the bow timbers and stern timbers.

Keep EVERY THING Square.. Unless your ship has a built in twist.LOL.

If you are using the board in the house I would felt the bottom to stop scratching the boss's tables.

Some ships do not have a flat keel.. Take this into consideration when building the board or clamp.

Hint.. Always replace the boat back into the board .. It stops unessery twist developing.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section