Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

she's look'in great Sam.......as everyone has said......I wouldn't change a thing!  :)   while it may seem an eternity work'in on the model,  you can be certain,  that when you are finally finished,  your gonna have one superb look'in model to display  :)   nicely done!

DITTO

J, Dennis, thank you, and thanks to all who hit the like button.

Now, I think I need some advice. As I have commented before I am using TFFM, Lees and the Syren instructions as my inspiration and direction for my rigging, leaning heavily on the Syren instructions. I have come up on a delima, TFFM does not have a Driver Boom and the instructions for the Syren are unclear as to the rigging; they refer to the plans which I do not have. Until/unless I choose to build her I cant see paying for plans.

So my question, how does the driver boom get rigged? Lees appears to show a block in a sling from the Trestle Trees but that would foul on the Gaff. Any thoughts anybody? Picture below, feel free to download and mark up if you think it would help or post a picture here.

Thanks

Sam

How do I rig the Boom????

Driver-Boom-02.thumb.jpg.ffe313b14b097e2f7f0644ab2cfe70fb.jpg

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hi Sam...I found this in Elements and Practices of Rigging and Seamanship, circa 1794...hope its what you need

image.png.0ea903411b479461f05fba168b8648a4.png

Your build is coming along nicely. Do you know where I can purchase some of these that are circled in green? Need a bunch for my CSS Alabama rigging and can't find a supplier as of yet.

22499891_Partsneeded1.jpg.dc48ff6cc28a6b2276038f1c3eecf494.jpg

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

12 hours ago, src said:

Jonathan, thanks for the good words. 

I bought all my rigging from chuck@ syren ship modeling. There should be a link in the home page here. 

His prices are pretty reasonable and a very fast turn around here in the States 

Many thanks.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit of build time in this week. Between comments here and some PM time I got the driver boom figured out, thanks to all.

I found some stain that closely approximates the finish on the mahogany planks. They still need a bit of oil rubbed on them. The color is not perfect but by the time I get some rope coils on them you will never notice. I didnt take pictures of that yet. tomorrow or the next time I update. I think this weekend is going to entail re-tensioning my back stays, they flop around when the AC is on and my Main and Fore Stays have developed a slight sag. Very mild tension on both top masts at the heads relieves the sag but introduces additional sag in the back stays. It shouldn't take to long but will be easier now than later.

I think also I may look into some different belay pins, the ones Construco provided just look out of scale to me. I think the length may be ok but the thickness seems overly fat. They scale out at 20" O.A. with about 11" above the pin rail. The fattest part though is about 4.75" thick. I may have spaced them to closely, nothing to do about that now though.

belay-pins.thumb.jpg.bed58cc537623eb645f6c7421e93a3d3.jpg

Pictures or it didnt happen!

Driver-Boom-03.thumb.jpg.03c9ed2880a5f281aae967d9fb119429.jpgDriver-Boom-04.thumb.jpg.2136568aceaeac2b794fb9872cc03139.jpg

You might even give some thought to metal pins, Sam.   I bought some that do look better (more in scale) but they do need painting.   I think I got them from Model Expo or Ages of Sail.  I bought the brass not the cast white metal.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sam,

I can't answer that.   There should be some dimensions in the part description.  If not, send them an email.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark thanks for the thought. That was more me thinking out loud rather than asking you if you can see across 500 miles of the US and measure my pin rails. 😀

I ordered some 8 and 12 mm brass pins from Model Expo. We will see what happens when they arrive. If I really have to I can throw the kit parts in a drill and try to sand them down to a more reasonable diameter.

Sam

While you have received some great recommendations for other sources, have you considered modifying the one's you have.

I have this kit on the shelf and I pulled out the belaying pins.

If you have a small rotary tool with an adjustable chuck, it shouldn't be beyond the skill you have demonstrated with this kit..

Image1.jpg.2c50012de49e13ca6a7737c2b7ec9b88.jpgImage2.jpg.98e0b473adf33e45f80640fe9565bd28.jpgImage3.jpg.acf9e5fc2508d7cd2dbc098c7487b650.jpgImage4.jpg.46b55247b69db9ef553c53015a40f517.jpg

Started with a fine file, and finished off with an emory board..

This was real quick, and I could have refined the final result a bit..   I would also add a little stain.

TP.jpg.3c8b42f7b6c75b7d1c0ec0069013b49b.jpg

Here is one I made from a tooth pick using the same method.  Might be a bit long for this kit.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Gregory, that is my fall back position. My schedule is always a bit erratic so at the moment I am looking at off the shelf items. I do like your idea of the dremmel as apposed to the drill motor I was considering. THat would eliminate the crushing of the lower portion of the pins by the jaws of the chuck I think.

BTW, it ALL about the hokey pokey!! :)

Sam

Edited by src

9 hours ago, src said:

The big question is will they fit in my pre drilled rails.

Hi Sam Great looking work.

If they are too small for your already drilled holes you can always fill the original holes back in using toothpicks tree nail style Then you should be able to re-drill new holes at the size and spacing you want. After you drape the excess rigging over the pins you will never know where the original holes were let alone how big they were. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 minutes ago, src said:

Its been 10 years this month

Glad you like the idea. Makes me feel at least a little useful, instead of only being useful as a bad example as my wife likes to remind me!

Still having the vision at all after 10 years is an accomplishment all by its self.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou,

You (and I) will ALWAYS be bad examples to our Better Half's!!

So I got my brass pins in. ME had 8 and 12mm. The 12 mm are just a tad small but fit the holes. The 8s fall right through unless I rest them on the edge of the hole. I may check out some from Cornwall they have some walnut in 10mm, I am just not really looking forward to VAT. When I bought my cannon barrels they ended being much more expensive than I anticipated because of the overseas taxes as I recall.

Belaying-Pin-02.thumb.jpg.9c791136465c7589f38a043542490255.jpg

Murphy stopped by for an uninvited extended visit. I have been using Modeler 12's video of Benders technique for tying blocks to yards. In the past when I have stropped my blocks I was using Dullcoat to lock in my knots with good results. It seems to penetrate into the waxed fly tying thread very nicely. However once I started using the technique in the video my knots started failing! I have had to go back and redo every knot related to my Boom and Gaff. Almost every one has failed at least once. I am now soaking them in 50/50 white glue and distilled water. That seems to have solved things. I have one more block to tie a hook to for the Gaff Peak Halyard, that is going to be interesting trying to strop my hook back on without redoing the entire halyard from the tip of the Gaff to the ring on deck. Then I can go and retension my back stays. Murphy, I banish you to the lower reaches of Hades!! LOL!

Sam

The 12mm look fine to me. (For what that is worth) It is about the same size as the wooden pins.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Sam, sometimes a bit bigger is better especially with rigging bits and pieces.   Tie a "dummy" line to one as it would be rigged and go from there.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 4/14/2019 at 12:09 PM, src said:

Its been 10 years this month

Hello Sam

Ten years is that all 😉.

Love you build Sam, you are a master builder.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

5 hours ago, src said:

I am just not really looking forward to VAT

Since you are outside the EU, Cornwall ought to charge you VAT excluded. You could try to buy and stop before you finalise the order to see if you will be charged VAT. If so you can ask them through email why you are charged VAT, as they ought not to do so. So much for the financial advice (being mean I should charge you for it ;) )

The larger pin does look more like the kit's, and to me better in scale. You may want to paint or blacken them as you mentioned, that will reduce an important difference between the species, equalise them so to say ... which in turn will make your decision easier

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

9 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

you are a master builder.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Jo, you should be a comedian my friend! Thanks for that, I needed a laugh. I do appreciate the well intended comment though thank you. 😀 While I am very pleased whith what I have built, I know where the skeletons are and know I can do much better on my next build.

Carl, I will try your trick, I thought all purchases from EU no matter where they shipped had VAT applied?

Size wise they are close to the kits and I will most likely go with them. In my bumbling way I was saying I dont really know how tall a belay pin should be; I have been too lazy to look it up. I will most likely blacken them as there is no other paint on this build. prepping them for either is going to be a chore, has anybody here ever tried putting brass in a bullet tumbler to clean them for blackening? Might be time to take my own advice to others ond go spend some time in the help forums....

Sam

1 hour ago, src said:

has anybody here ever tried putting brass in a bullet tumbler to clean them for blackening?

I don't know if your tumbler system is the same as mine Sam, but mine not only cleans the brass but coats it with a lube to assist in resizing when you get to the reload stage. I think I would be more inclined to clean them with a chemical.

If you don't want them to be black and still don't want to paint them you may want to try this formula:

https://www.sciencecompany.com/Patina-Formulas-for-Brass-Bronze-and-Copper.aspx#1

With some practice it may give you the brown color you are used to with the wooden pins.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, src said:

I thought all purchases from EU no matter where they shipped had VAT applied

They may apply it, but they shouldn't apply it when shipping abroad, i.e. outside the European Tax Area. It is not a trick, it is your right to be charged without VAT. If you live in the EU as an American you would be charged VAT on your purchases, untill you take it out of the country, where you can get the VAT amount returned through customs (most non EU citizens do not know that) Usually that excludes food as you are normally prohibited to take that on e.g. a plane.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...