Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

I found some brass tube at the LHS from a company called Albion Alloys, they have some very nice brass tube in really small sizes with VERY thin walls: 1mm o.d. X 0.8mm i.d. Lots of sizes. There are also some slip fit kits; 4 pc that fit one inside the other, very smooth, hinge/bearing smooth. Anyway I found a couple of kits that would fill the over size hole in my stanchions and leave me a 0.8mm hole about 1.625" at 1:51. Much more better than three inches. Filled one stanchion and said to myself, "Huh.." I soldered up a ring on top of a 1/32" post with several layers of the slip fit tubes at the bottom to create a flange to fill the hole already drilled in my rails and said "a-huh.."Ok, I think I need some advice here. Such a minor thing, stanchions......

What kind of stanchions would be on a small ship of this period? Chucks Confederancy has some stanchions capped by a wooden rail:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1395-downloadable-instructions-for-the-model-shipways-confederacy-kit/?hl=%2Bconfederacy+%2Binstructions

I have seen U-shaped stanchion on the Constitution but really dont know if that would apply to a smaller ship.

When all is said and done I may have no choice but to go with the modified kit parts because I have already drilled holes in my cap rails but before I do knowing what my other options are would be nice. So in my long winded way, do I Adapt, Improvise or Overcome???? :D

Sam

post-326-0-95383000-1446788273_thumb.jpg

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam. Going by your pictures, I'm assuming that the middle stanchion in your post above (#529), is the same as the one shown in post #525. If so, and if the choice were mine, then I'd be "over-coming" the problem by selecting the one on the right-side of #529.

But, then again, that's just me ...

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Capt, Yes, the center is the same unmodified kit part (blackened) The left I have filled the oversized hole in a kit part with some tube, all the blackening either was filed off or was burned off when I soldered the tubes in. The far right part is a 'quickie" I made to see 1) if I could do it and 2) how it would look. At the moment I am leaning towards that one also.

My dilema is, if I go to the trouble of fabricating new stanchions, what would be more correct, a simple pole with an eye for the rope to hold the netting or a U-shaped stanchion to hold hammock netting?

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Sjors, interesting-er and interesting-er, its the Constructo way.

Small update, I replaced all the kit stanchions with scratched parts. I was able to use some brass tube to recreate the flange at the base and then made simple eyes at the top and soldered everything together, epoxied them all in and started tying string to run the netting. I started out trying to tie first a constrictor knot and when that wasnt working out I switched to clove hitches. No matter what I did the 8/0 thread I was using would hang up on the plastic netting and would not cinch up properly. I would get to the end of a run and the knots I had tied just a few minutes ago would be undone. GGrrrr!! :angry:  I went with square knots, they are more bulky than the others but they're staying tied at least. I think the only way I would be able to use the other knots would be to make my own netting.

NO!!!! hush up! It AINT happening!!!

Hmmmm...... I wonder how hard it would be........... :D

I finished up the port side and realized my lines were not parallel to the cap rail AND the knots I used to anchor to the stanchions were REALLY bulky looking, so, off they came. I seized the ends this time and not only do they look less bulky, but the netting laid a bit better.

I tied off every fourth full column, I may decide to go back and do every second. we will see, the better half went to Denver for the weekend so I should have plenty of time to play and get it right. (Silly girl, its SNOWING!)

Thats all for now.

Sam

post-326-0-81974400-1448567538_thumb.jpg

Tied off with hitches and constrictor knots, I couldnt gt the constrictor to tie through the loop, should be the same procedure, but I just couldnt make it happen.

post-326-0-87458200-1448567535_thumb.jpg

All tied off, the knots that tie to the stanchions look kind of bulky.

post-326-0-10599900-1448567534_thumb.jpg

Replaced with seized ends, tidier and the netting lays better.

post-326-0-97409500-1448567536_thumb.jpg

While shooting the shots above this jumped into my viewfinder, other than the blackening rubbing off I like how the barrels came out.

post-326-0-34498300-1448567532_thumb.jpg

How she sits right now.

post-326-0-17725100-1448567530_thumb.jpg

Of course Commander Lorcan had to get into the picture and give her blessings.

She looks beautiful sam, and all your scratch work is top notch!!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks everybody. Good to see you back Robbyn!!

I am kind of surprised the netting fits as well as it does, it never crossed my mind to make the height correspond to the flats on the netting. Happy accident!!

Hope everybody had a great thanksgiving, those of you who celebrate that is. i need to walk the dog and take a nap.

Sam

Edit -  Brian, sorry to hear about your computer issues, understand that Win 10 is a real pain.

Edited by src

Ok, So I finished the netting this weekend and started in on the masting. Since I scrapped my roller coaster shaped dowels I am making masts from square boxwood stock I purchased from Hobby Mill sometime back. I started with the Bowsprit and was using Chucks Syren instructions as well as Fully Framed for direction and inspiration. I had planned on using DanVads masting spread sheet but that doesnt include schooners, unless somebody knows what the ratios were for schooners I am going to stick with the lengths given by Conbstructo and continue using this build as the learning exorcise it has become.

One thing I have come across is how the rear/base of the bowsprit is finished. Constructo has me just terminating the end with a cut perpendicular to the water line, both chucks Syren instructions and Fully Framed indicate the Bowsprit was tennoned into a block built into the bits. I am certain Chuck and Mr Antscherl are correct for the ships they are illustrating, but what about a smaller ship like the Enterprise?

post-326-0-08843100-1448935834_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-69276000-1448935832_thumb.jpg

This is how Constructo indicates I should install the BowSprit.

post-326-0-87589800-1448935830_thumb.jpg

This is how Chucks Syren and Fully Framed detail the Bowsprit.

Chuck, I hope you dont mind me using your picture to illustrate my question. I'll find another way if it is an issue.

Sam

Carl, that was my thought. But I figured I would ask the more knowledgeable out there. I have wondered about what held that end down so it seem reasonable that it's a common practice.

The question for me is will I do anything about it. I have time to think about it, we have a project due on the 11th of this month so I don't see me getting much build time in over the next couple of weeks.

Sam

Sam,

I don't see where it's a problem to use the block.  It definitely looks better and more secure.  The only reason I can think of why you wouldn't use the block is if the bowspit went through the deck to the deck below it.  And there would be... a block.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Sam,

In my humble opinion mate the block is the way to go, as Mark has said it makes for a stronger fit and I believe it would be more accurate.

Nice solution to the Hammock netting, a much tidier finish all round, well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

The block between the bitts would have a square mortice cut in it and the bowsprit a square tenon to fit so the bowsprit doesn't have a tendency to rotate.  The bitts would have long legs going down far enough to securely anchor them, perhaps to the keelson level, so would be strong enough to support the heel of the bowsprit.  If you have the Antscherl that should give you enough information to be going forward with.

• 2 weeks later...

Joel,

Thank you, that's more or less what I figured.

Sjors, Its always a pleasure to make your life interesting my friend!!! :)

So, life slowed down a bit for me and I thought I would have time to get a whole lot of building done this week since I had Monday and Tuesday off. Murphy however had other plans for me. We have a roll up style garage door and it chose Sunday night to explode. Better Half was bringing in Christmas ornaments to decorate, I was in the house moving stuff around when I heard this horrible mechanical screaming and Better Half cursing like a sailor (amusing if it was different circumstances as she is rather petite and ladylike) Come to find that two rollers on one side of the door fell off and the other side bound up and the balancing wheel and cable were all spun off, the bracket that holds the opener was twisted off and several panels off the door were slightly buckled. So, Monday was spent moving several shelving units and everything on them - 30 plus years of accumulated hand and bench top carpentry tools as well as 20+ years of her accumulated broadcasting stuff. Needless to say I accomplished very little in the way of building.

I did manage to get a block built to anchor the Bowsprit as well as the Bees shaped and glued on. Now of course since I have once again charged full speed ahead with out really considering the ramifications I realize I have put myself in the position of deviating from Constructos rigging plan. The rigging plan shows the Fore Top Mast Stay anchored to the end of the Bowsprit and no Fore Top Mast Preventer Stay at all. From what I can gather based on Chucks Syren instructions and Fully Framed these stay will terminate to lanyards either at the hull or the wale just below the cap rail? I cant imagine the splash guard would be strong enough, besides the angle created from the Bees to the splash guard looks totally wrong.

Thoughts?

Sam

post-326-0-17425900-1450204783_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-06264600-1450204782_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-70912300-1450204780_thumb.jpg

Edited by src

Thoughts about what Sam.....

The garage door ?

The admiral ????

Murphy ??????

Sorry, I can not help you with the bowsprit.

I don't understand a thing about it  :(

Sjors

Sjors, I think about the Admiral all the time, Murphy he can just go somewhere else!! Thoughts were on terminating the stays, I am leaning towards just running parallel with the center line of the bowsprit which would leave them just below the wale.

J, depends on your definition of "lovely." Thanks for the kind words though.

I should probably have added that the Bees were not included in the Constructo instructions, that's a bash.

Sam

Edited by src

• 2 months later...

Well now, When last we spoke Sjors was confused/not understanding, J was describing going through mine and Better Halfs life's collections as lovely and I was having to arrange for the repair of a grenaded garage door. Since then the holidays have past we took a trip to "Lost Wages" where had a great steak at Binnions, and work has gone from zero to 100MPH again. Needless to say, very little progress has been made in the shipyard.

Sometime back I picked up a piece of lumber for a base, I really liked the grain, it reminds me of flowing water. Yesterday I made up an alcohol dye of vintage maple and wiped it on I will get some clear on it this week i hope. I am contemplating on doing a French Polish on it but only going to satin rather than a high gloss. I am mildly concerned that the finish is too light though, it may compete with the ship itself. I may go with a dark garnet shellac to darken it a bit more, we shall see.

post-326-0-45496400-1456072834_thumb.jpg

I have more or less finished the bowsprit and jib boom. I am not sure haw HOW far I will detail this, its very easy for me to get carried away looking at other builds here. So much of this build has been simplified that I need to reign myself in.

post-326-0-24144800-1456072862_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, hopefully more soon.

Sam

edited for (some) typos :D

Edited by src

Sam,

I'm still confused, but not by your build - a kind of permanent state of mind ;-) - I like that piece of wood ... a good choice. I am curious as to 'haw' far you will detail the bow sprit ... I like the tapering on it ... don't get drowned by work ... you'll need some relaxation too

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice to see some progress, Sam.  Life and Murphy do seem to have a way with wrecking plans, don't they?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the comments and likes - good to know people have not given up on me yet!! :P

Brian, I have turned several barrel shaped posts to support her out of the same wood. they are slightly different heights; they vary by about 6mm/1/4 inch. My plan is to set the stern just slightly lower then the bow to give an impression of motion. I had considered giving her a slight lean also since I plan on rigging her in a tack but I am not sure I can support her properly at this point. I should have inserted some threaded inserts before I started the planking. Next build....

Carl, when to stop and haw to complete something has been a challenge all my life.

Mark, even small steps are good.

Now its back to work and full speed ahead. we have two more weeks of long hours and then a break, although we were contacted Friday by a potentially new client to do some work for an attraction opening this May. That has the potential of turning into another race to the finish. :):huh::angry:

Sam