Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

J. Sometimes I think if you look in Websters Dictionary you would find under Wooden Ship Modeling you would find something like "A mental disorder characterized by the masochistic need to constant rebuild parts regardless of the naked eyes ability to see the changes"

Sam

:D  :P  :D   I actually think that's why we're all here  :D  :P

That's the best definition I've come across yet, Sam.   I hope things calm down at work for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I may have to clean that up and make it my signature.

As far as work it looks like we may get a reprieve on one of the two projects we have been working like mad on. They are talking about delaying the install by two months. I might actually get to work on the enterprise this month. Woo! Hoo!!

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Ok then!

I have had some time to play - or is it engage in my/our mental disorder?

I sat down Saturday and started in on my Main Top Gallant mast. I finished carving it last night and temped it in place then sat back to bask in my greatness... only to have the Gremlin leap from the bookshelf to my shoulder with a Banshee-like scream, 'You @)^%#^@ FOOL! Its too (!&@^#^$& SHORT!!!! I am not sure but I think he may be right.

Lees and TFFM both tell me the Top Gallant is to be 1/2 the length of the associated Top Mast. The total length of what you see below is 1/2 the Top Mast, but I think the hounds were supposed to be higher up?? If that is the case how long should the  flag pole be? Maybe I am misreading all the details, since I am still learning all this terminology I get glazed eyes sometimes.

Thoughts anyone?

Photos below:

post-326-0-35792200-1484278999_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-17266500-1484279013_thumb.jpg

Hey Sam...I think it looks really good...I'd leave it, if it is a little off, it will never be noticed once you get all the other detail in place, if your previous work is any indication, no one will know but us and we won't tell :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Sjors,

The Gremlin is my name for that nagging voice we all hear when we critique our own work.  He is vicious, mean and nasty, has foul body odor and chews with his mouth open. No redeeming social qualities whatsoever except to make us look at our work and try to improve it.

He also passes gas and blames it on the dog!

Sam

Currently remaking my Main Top Gallant mast. I think where I went wrong was I treated the mast and the associated flag pole as one combined length, ie I made that whole assembly 1/2 the top mast. I currently have the whole mess 8 squared, if all goes well I will get it rounded and sanded tonight, maybe even a picture.

Sam

Remade my Main Top Gallant. I am much more satisfied with how it fits in with the rest of the mast. I am going to attempt setting the Main mast in place today. Depending on how things go I might try getting the Fore Mast in place also. I hope I am not rushing things, but I am tired of seeing her sit there looking to same every day.

A couple of pictures of the new Top Gallant set in place as well as the old one for comparison.

post-326-0-87776800-1485023623_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-33993700-1485023652_thumb.jpg

Here is my first attempt that so irritated the Gremlin set next to the new for comparison. He is much quieter today. I may still lengthen the flag pole a bit, it seems a tad short:

post-326-0-82989300-1485023766_thumb.jpg

I go back on to a 7 day a week schedule again this monday so I dont know how much progress will be made over the next few weeks. Hopefully its only for a short period. Probably going to have lots of time to build after mid March as neither the owner or myself have had any bid requests come to us. I would never ask for work to stop coming in but I am looking forward to some time to breath. This has been going on since October I think.

Sam

as long as the cap can be slid on there............then you have succeeded ;)    looks very good! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for checking in Dennis and thank you everybody for the likes. The cap will slip over for sure as I havent made it yet.

I have to make the collars that go around the masts where they penetrate the deck as well at the pin rail that goes around the mast. At least Constructo calls for one, I have not found anything yet in Masting and Rigging, TFFM or chucks Syren practicum. Chucks Syren calls for cleats around the Main Mast. I might go that rout unless somebody points me to a reason not to.....?

Sam

• 3 months later...

Holy Smoke! Its been three months since I posted an update. Work was "Interesting" for quit a while, February and March were fun, culminating in a 24 hours shift onsite!

I finally have something to show, masts are done with the exception of the Fore Topmast Cap, I have fit it up just have not trimmed it to size, its pretty obvious in the overall picture. At least to me.

Progress-042917.thumb.jpg.06b6848762a76a709bed7f4437637e73.jpg

I started my shrouds yesterday, found that even with magnifiers I can only work a short while before I get headaches, must need new glasses. I have retied the first two dead eyes 2 or 3 times, I might still have to do them again, the seizing feel sloppy. We will see how the forward port pair works out.

Shrouds-01.thumb.jpg.4913ce8652914b52e60e52f5defb8ae4.jpg

Somewhere after my last post, I went to make the pin rails and realized even if I wanted to pin rails would not work, the fish(?) was in the way. I could have cut it back, or cut the rail around but decided to go with cleats instead. I used white glue to make a series of blocks, gang milled them and then soaked them in alcohol to soften the glue then finished shaping them. Afterwards I glued them in and reinforced the bond with brass pins epoxied in.

Thats about it, lets hope I can get more than one pair done a day in the future. I only have until August before we go back on a 6-7 day/week overtime schedule.

Sam

Main-Cleats-01.jpg

Your details look very good. The cleats need to be very well fastened. Nice work on your shrouds.

Russ

super!   so glad to see an update Sam :)     looking good.    ain't much of a time line....you may need to step on it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for the comments and the likes, all very much appreciated.

Russ, the cleats have been epoxied on and then reinforced with brass pins, they better not even think about popping off. :)

Dennis, at the rate I build August is like tomorrow for the rest of you. I am trying to get back to my 1 hour a night minumum, we will see how that fly's with Better Half. She really likes a couple of nights during the week to sit and stare at the idiot box together.

Sam

compromise..........bring it to the 'idiot box' when you go.   :D    I know what you mean.......at least I have the day to play if I want.   Gibbs like to get me in there to watch TV at night.   it's funny....he will sit near me and give me 'lip service' .......I ask him what does he want to do,  and he runs into the living room! :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

compromise..........bring it to the 'idiot box' when you go.   :D    I know what you mean.......at least I have the day to play if I want.   Gibbs like to get me in there to watch TV at night.   it's funny....he will sit near me and give me 'lip service' .......I ask him what does he want to do,  and he runs into the living room! :)  

I wish I could bring it to the Idiot Box. I have found I dont multi task as well as I get older, I need to do one or the other.

Better Half's schedule has changed in the last few months, there are 2-3 nights a week that she doesnt get home till 8-ish or even later, when I am on a regular schedule those are build nights.

Our cat doesnt care one way or the other about TV nights, she has her little bed in the window she sleeps in. The dog however loves it, he gets two humans to curl up between - once he gets over being kicked out of one corner or the other of the sofa. that is.

Speaking of building I have about 20 minutes to play before its dog walking time, maybe I can get a couple of lanyards rigged.

Sam

Yea.........I can't do it no more either.   I used to when I used to pull my all nighters.   I did that a lot when I built the first U.S.S.United States.   I had to laugh last night.......I was watching a show about fishing......he was up in Norway.   the fellow he was speaking with has a sled dog team....when Gibbs heard the barking,  he started barking and then was like the RCA dog!   he sat right up to the TV,  nose pointed to the screen...didn't move the whole time :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well, I got a pair of lanyards rigged, only to find one of the deadeyes was about 1/16" off from the others, by the time I resiezed it, walked the dog cooked and ate dinner Better Half got home. Spent a few minutes with her while she ate. By the time I went to bed my total progress for the night was two lanyards. Progress is progress.

Dennis, our cat does similar things with TV. She doesnt respond so much to things she hears as much as the occasional visual. She doesnt do it much anymore but during base ball season she will get on the cabinet and paw at the screen. Better Half swears she is a Cardinals fan. All nighters? I do enough of that with work... Speaking of which... gotta go!

Sam

awesome!  have a good day ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Quick update.

I was able to get 3 pairs of shrouds on during the week and was looking forward to finishing the fourth and maybe even starting in on some ratlines - eagerly fearing that process!!!:P I kept coming back to my seizing on the shrouds and not liking the contrast between the brown rope and the tan seizing. SO, this morning they all came off and I replaced the seizing with dark brown 8/0 thread. I just now finished putting them back on. 3 hours and I am where I was this morning !! LOL!

I now have to go out to the garage and dig out the lathe, we dont have a small enough one at work for something that goes out Tuesday night so I get to do it here at the house...... Looks like tomorrow I will get to experience the joy of ratlines..

Looking at the pictures I see have have some more adjusting to do, they are not quite close enough in line. I believe that on a working ship they would most likely not be perfectly in line, but from 51 feet away (1:51 scale) I think differences would be minimal. So Sayeth the Sam!! :D:D

Sam

Shrouds-03.thumb.jpg.c129b4add5a09c0bc0e629b3f8c9a933.jpg

Shrouds-02.thumb.jpg.cb721a6890a6958a792d9cd5b9006e23.jpg