Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

Carl, Nope she is still here on my bench, unfortunately nothing has really changed since the last pictures though.

Right now I am installing the Sheer Poles and Futtock Staves. I should have done the Sheer poles before I did the Ratlines, my spacing is off a bit. I am only getting a few minutes build time each night, I am finding I only have a knot or two in me before I need to go sit and vegetate in front of the TV or read for a bit, then its off to bed. But progress is progress I'll take what I can get.

Progress pictures when there is something to show.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sjors, thanks for dropping by. Unfortunately its going to be a few weeks before there are any ship related progress pictures. So hopefully an off topic picture or three wont offend anybody, these are some of the overlay items we made for the bosses wedding. Obviously these are pre-confetti.

IMG_3037.thumb.jpg.1bfab3a27a0c4c0d824fc09a94af4e05.jpgIMG_3038.thumb.jpg.3cdf1282e650eb425872696c162c60cb.jpgIMG_3039.thumb.jpg.1c863eee22dd7ace0c1f379539cc09d3.jpg

Carl, thank you. He is Indian, but not in the manor you indicate, he is or claims to be 5% Native American. I just spent the last 5 minutes looking at a map of Native American tribes and cannot remember what tribe he belongs to. He is from Wisconsin originally but none of the tribal names in the area look familiar. Now I have to ask him today 'cause it's going to bother me if I dont. Thanks Carl! :P

Sam

• 1 month later...

Wow, over a month since any kind of update....... Work, Work, Work, bleh!

We are back on a regular schedule at least for a month or two so there should be some progress.....except Better Half has managed to book up our next 4 weekends with events....

I still have Futtock Staves to finish and then move on to some more shrouds and stays.

Pictures when there is something to show.

Thanks for your patience,

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Sjors, I feel your pain.

Futtock staves and sheer poles done, now it's on to Top Masts, only to discover I never really finished my Top Masts and Cross Trees. I never installed the bolsters nor finished drilling the holes for the shrouds. Next build I will pay more attention to the rigging dimensions, my cross trees are a little narrow for the rigging. I am having to be very careful not to blow out the sides as I open the holes up to accept the shrouds. A couple of thousands of an inch really makes a difference!

Promised pictures soon, she really doesnt look any different than the last set.

This is the last weekend of Better Half's Social Scheduling so there should be some progress over the next few weeks. Woo Hoo!!

Sam

Hopefuly BHSS stays limited ... you can get something done in your days off work ... Try using a check list it might come in handy Sam ... I know I don't ;)

Surprise ...

every time I continue and look at the current state of my build <sigh>

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 1 month later...

Carl, it wasnt the BHSS that interfered this time. It was work....again. Our connections through the Theme Park world occaisonally lead us to others in the entertainment industry. This time it was Nissan and the LA Auto Show as well as a 37' tall static prop. We were given a little over 6 weeks to design, mill, fabricate and install. Today is my first day off since about Halloween IIRC.

Now to see if I can drum up enough energy and enthusiasm to tinker on the Enterprise.

Sam

Edited by src

• 1 month later...

Hey all!  

Been OBL as of late. (Overtaken By Life) it's all good though nobody died. Just lots of work and life stuff. Very little progress, I have the futtock shrouds on, tomorrow is saturday I hope to get some build time as well as MSW time in. 

Till then, sam

There's been a lot of that OBL stuff going around, Sam ... especially around my ship-yard.

'Tis good to see you back on deck.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 2 weeks later...

Well now, as I mentioned Life has interfered with life. The last several weeks have been mostly tying up loose ends that were left during the End of Year Insanity at work. Lately most nights I have sat on the sofa with Better Half and a snifter of whiskey or tequilla and either stared at the TV or read. Some nights I would tie a knot or two but thats been it. Not sure how much progress is going to happen in the near future, we started the year with 60% as much work on the books as we did all last year then we turned a bid in in mid January that pushed us well over that. A good problem to have but you wont be seeing much of me over the next several months.

Below is the very minimal progress. I have finished the Futtock Shrouds and associated ratlines on the port side now on to the starboard side while I have some time. I found the ratlines on these shrouds much more difficult than the Main and Fore Shrouds for some reason, they kept wanting to push or pull the shrouds out of alignment. They are more or less straight. Close look will spot it but I think they should fade into the confusion of all the other rigging.

After this I have to finish up the last details on the upper masts, I still have a cap to finish, a couple of cheek blocks for the For Top mast ad some how the pole on the Top Gallant Mast has removed itself and dis-aperated. Not sure if it was the cat, visitors or even myself. I think it was there at Christmas but I really cant say for sure. I am not remaking the entire mast, just going to carve a new pole and drill a hole and epoxy it in.

Oh, and just to make the year even more interesting, Better Half and I decided to move our wedding up by a year, we take the plunge this April, with everything else going on WHAT AM I THINKING!!!!:huh::)

Sam

futtock-shrouds-main-mast.thumb.jpg.65d377d545590c6a3584d0e6f39f5ff7.jpgfuttock-shrouds-fore-mast.thumb.jpg.eb88a6a11332899881a720b3d36df51d.jpg

Sam:

The masts, shrouds, and ratlines all look really good. Very nice details on the futtock shrouds. 

Russ

congratz on the wedding...I wish you two the best! :)    progress is progress my friend........it looks good  ;)    will look forward in seeing more.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 2/17/2018 at 9:40 PM, src said:

Oh, and just to make the year even more interesting, Better Half and I decided to move our wedding up by a year, we take the plunge this April, with everything else going on WHAT AM I THINKING!!!!:huh::)

Took you long enough!!!

Congratss to you and the future missus

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hey sam, grats on wedding plans, missed that when i read that post.

(Just checked mail,, invite not here yet) lol

Best of luck to you both, 👍👏

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Thanks every body for the well wishes and the likes.

Russ, I was a bit worried about pulling them out of alignment since I wasnt able to put the cross rigging in(catherpins?) Pretty happy with how they came out, thanks.

Dennis thank you, at a knot a day I may finish this century!!

Carl, I just turned 54, you dont know how right you are, this will be my first. When we first met she was fresh out of a bad marriage and neither one of us had any intention of getting married. A couple of years ago we started floating the idea to each other, a friend asked if we would be able to care for the other when they were older and incontinent. She responded with "Sure, that's what trees, rope and a garden hose are for!" I knew I had finally found the right one!

Rich, thanks! on the way!!

Sam

1 hour ago, src said:

She responded with "Sure, that's what trees, rope and a garden hose are for!" I knew I had finally found the right one!

Has she got a sister, Sam ??

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Sam, congratulations.   You seem to have met "the one".  :)   Your ship is looking very dapper and I hope you get some more time on her.   As for work..  yeah.. takes all the fun out of things sometimes.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the well wishes and likes every body, appreciated it is.

Steve, she does but one is married. Fine Irish lasses all of them! But mine has the red hair - and the temper to go with it!!!

Mark, yes this one snucked up on me when I wasnt looking.

Carl, as long as your alive there is always hope. .

Sam

• 1 month later...

Hi Sam! I've been getting caught up and saw that you're tying the knot. Congrats! I just turned 54 as well and am very happily married (i.e. she accepts my various hobbies!). Enjoy!

Your Enterprise is really coming along. I was curious about something. I've only seen this model unpainted in my research. Do you have any idea what the paint scheme would have been? Could it have had copper plating? I ask as I recently saw a different Enterprise model (earlier build) painted with red, black and ivory and had the copper plating. 

Builds in progress:

Mamoli Gretel

Constructo Enterprise

Future builds:

Amati Santa Maria (and 15 others that caught my eye....)

J!! Thanks for dropping in. Yes Better Half and I are getting married in a couple of weeks, thanks for the good words. She saw me tying all those clove hitches and decided she wanted a "Hitch" of her own. Or, maybe it's a constrictor knot!!! Lol. 

As far as paint I don't know for sure. I never planed to paint so it's not something I ever looked into. What "Research"I have done has been spotty at best anyway. 

There is another member here, Charlie Zardose I think. I seem to recall he was doing some research on the Enterprise. You might try tracking him down. Not sure if I have spelled his name correctly. His avatar used to be a youngish guy with long dark hair and close trimmed goatee/van dyke beard. 

Best of luck

Sam

Edited by src

are we getting cold feet yet?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Jitterin' and Jivin' Gents, Jitterin' and Jivin'! Actually things are progressing well on the wedding front for the most part. She keeps coming up with ideas for the backyard and I go into installer mode and start in with, how do I anchor it? What about the wind? People from work will see this. She has to pull me back and remind me that "You're not installing it for the Mouse, it'l be fine."

We are having fun with it, the lady who is marrying us is one of my oldest friends and both of us are figuring ways to make HER stumble! Naturally I have a few set aside for Better Half too.

Nothing to show build wise. I have finally finished stropping the Jeer Blocks and have mounted them with the cross lashing (whatever its called, too lazy to look it up at the moment) It only took me 3-4 tries each to get the length and hang reasonable to my eyes.

Its going to be June before I get a chance to really sit down and build again. The project we are working on currently has a due date of mid May. But, the customer has given us steel drawings that have one set of callouts, the architectural plans have a different call out. We correctly built to the steel drawings that are wet stamped by the engineer, the general built to the Architectural plans and the two dont mesh. Just to add to the excitement the two biggest scenic items we are building have two different 3d models provided to us and a graphics package apparently drawn by a third person. Guess what, non of those three items match either!! Apparently the customer does not have a team overseeing the drawings and designing. Very unlike them. We will get through it, but I dont see us completing in mid may like the schedule calls for. Good Times!!! :10_1_10:

Sam