18th Century Longboat by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - 1:100 scale - BOTTLE - using most of Chuck's Practicum

Hi Danny! Just came across your build and haven't stopped grinning yet! There is just something about making tiny details that is really rewarding. Beautiful work as always and thanks for sharing the techniques and jigs.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I inherited a partial kit my sister found at a flea market.  I will be following this build carefully when I get around to it.  First comes the other model on hold.  I am learning allot and am humbled by your work keep it up.  The perpetual student.

David B

Thanks Buck, David and especially Russell for the very nice gift. I've finished one bottle already :D :

Scotch.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

To raise the mast later I needed some way of leading the pull rope, as I'm fitting the boat into the bottle bow first (which is the hard way of doing it :) ).

I bent up a piece of 0.5mm ID brass tubing which will be completely hidden beneath other panels :

Tube 001.jpg

The keelson was scalloped out on the underside to accommodate the tube :

Tube 003.jpg

The fore platform hides most of the tube :

Tube 004.jpg

The aft end of the tube runs alongside the knee. I used epoxy to hold it in along it's length :

Tube 005.jpg

The tube exits behind the rudder :

Tube 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

The method of hinging the bottom of the mast presented a fairly unique problem. My solution was to enable the thwart to which the mast is clamped to turn. I had to deviate from correct practice and fit the mast to the fore end of the thwart. as there was no way the mast would clear the adjacent thwart when fully lowered with enough room to fit everything through the bottle neck.

I also glued a brace under the thwart for extra strength :

Mast Thwart 001.jpg

Mast Thwart 002.jpg

A length of 0.8mm brass wire was drilled and glued into one end of the thwart brace. Holes were drilled right through the risers, frames and external planking. The first wire was inserted into the hole on one side, and then the thwart was lowered into position and the second wire was fitted into the thwart brace from the outside :

Mast Thwart 003.jpg

Mast Thwart 005.jpg

Mast Thwart 006.jpg

In the pic above I was still experimenting with the raising of the mast. This was when I discovered that I'd need to reverse the direction of the thwart.

The hinge pins were cut off flush with the planking. These will be covered by a wale later on :

Mast Thwart 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

I can honestly say that I've never had too much interest in ships in a bottle until I saw you are doing one, especially this one. I can also honestly say that I've had much greater interest in emptying the bottles. Anyway, I will be watching and learning (as usual).

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thank you George and John.

Next I made the Gunwales. I traced around the hull to get the outside shape, cut that out and used a pair of compasses to get the inner line :

Gunwales 002.jpg

Then I made the Mast Step in two halves - one was glued to the keelson, the other to the mast. When the mast is raised the two halves come together :

Mast Step 001.jpg

Mast Step 002.jpg

Mast Step 003.jpg

Last job for today are two knees for the transom and the breasthook :

Knees 001.jpg

Knees 002.jpg

Knees 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Really, nice small boat, Dan. The idea with the second helling I've stored in my book :)

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

That's a particularly clever piece of design/engineering for raising the mast Danny!

Thanks Christian and Grant.

I made the Thole Pins for the oars from bamboo drawn down to 0.35mm :

Thole Pins.jpg

The Wales have also been fitted :

Wales.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Dan I think you just discovered a new way to put in the mast. I've often put in a small divot where the mast rests which is a similar method but you created the actual step. I'm liking the pipe idea too. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks Dan and Igor.

The blocks are the smallest I've made to date - only 1.4mm long. Here they are with one of Chuck's 1/8" blocks for comparison :

Double Block 001.jpg

I needed one double block for the forestay. It's slighlty wider than the singles, but of course has four holes instead of two :

Double Block 002.jpg

Some more Ironwork - the mast band for the Boom, the bands for the Bowsprit and the two tiny Backstay Chains :

Ironwork 001.jpg

Ironwork 002.jpg

The construction of the Boom Yoke. The pics should be self-explanatory :

Boom Yoke 001.jpg

Boom Yoke 002.jpg

Boom Yoke 003.jpg

Boom Yoke 004.jpg

Boom Yoke 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Dan and Don.

I've done quite a lot on the boat lately, but haven't updated the Log so there will be a fair bit coming up :) .

I've painted the hull in similar fashion to Chuck's. The Friezes were hand-painted with a toothpick :

Friezes 001.jpg

Friezes 002.jpg

Friezes 003.jpg

The Parrels were a bit of fun to thread onto the boom yoke :

Parrells.jpg

Now came the time to fix the mast to the swivelling thwart and try it out to see if my plan was going to work - a close shave, but all was good :

Mast Try.jpg

Mast Try 005.jpg

Mast Try 006.jpg

Mast Try 002.jpg

Mast Try 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Rigging the Shrouds and their lanyards :

Shrouds 001.jpg

Shrouds 004.jpg

Shrouds 005.jpg

I found I had a couple of problems when I tried to insert the boat into the bottle for another test fit. With the Deadeyes fitted it was a bit too wide to go through the neck of the bottle. I had to trim a bit off the edge of the cap rail to bring them in enough.

The shrouds also needed to be left loose at their tops to allow them to slide down the mast a few millimeters when lowering the mast. These can be lifted back into position when the mast is raised inside the bottle later on.

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Russell. Yep, this is a whole new ball game, and a load of fun :) .

Here's the final rigging. It'll tighten up better when it's all finished (I hope) :

Rigged 006.jpg

My trick for doing the Forestay. The fishing line will be trimmed off after the forestay is glued to the mast :

Rigged 007.jpg

The fishing line used to pull the jib halyard Traveller forward on the bowsprit :

Rigged 003.jpg

Rigged 002.jpg

The final try into the bottle before I actually insert the boat permanently. I'll only get one chance at it, as I doubt I'd get it back out again :

Last Try 002.jpg

Last Try 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Amazing stuff Danny! Especially the friezes.  If you tell me that you didn't use 3 pair of eye-glasses (Fred Sanford style), a lighted magnifier, along with a microscope, I'll be really jealous.   :P  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

That's incredible, Danny. Just a question: how do you drink so much and still be able to make models? One good thing about this hobby is that it has kept me sober! 

I also have a request ... would you be able to take a picture of that model in your hand? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks Greg, Nick, George and Keith.

If you tell me that you didn't use 3 pair of eye-glasses (Fred Sanford style), a lighted magnifier, along with a microscope, I'll be really jealous.

Gee, sorry George. Just a 4x magnifier :D .

how do you drink so much and still be able to make models?

Lots of practice??? :D

Here's your pic Keith :

In the Hand.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Holy crap....  I thought it was bit bigger.  That is impressive and detailed.  I think I'll take up a different hobby... underwater basketweaving, maybe.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Danny, Beautiful and amazing done!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I think I will join Mark - very nice work Dan.  There are many models that don't have the same quality at much larger scales (mine included :))

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)