18th Century Longboat by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - 1:100 scale - BOTTLE - using most of Chuck's Practicum

Hey Danny,

As someone once said to me, where did you get that giant fake hand? :D :D :D

Thanks very much for the kind comments Mark, Per, Pat, David, Grant, Duff, Jan and John :) .

As someone once said to me, where did you get that giant fake hand?

Wasn't that me Grant :D :D ?

I made the grapnel anchor from brass sheet which I filed into shape, silver soldered and blackened :

Grapnel 001.jpg

Grapnel 002.jpg

Grapnel 003.jpg

Grapnel 004.jpg

Grapnel 005.jpg

Grapnel 006.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

One of the last things to do before bottling the boat - the oars. Pretty self-explanatory :

Oars 005.jpg

Oars 003.jpg

Oars 007.jpg

Oars 009.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Wow, that's a really nice little boat. I must allways look at the scale of your model 1:100 :stunned:

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you Christian, Crackers, David and Johann. But not so fast with the praise just yet. I've had an Oopsie! It seems like I miscalculated the height of the mast by a couple of millimetres.

I squeezed the boat into the bottle and used Clear Epoxy to glue the hull to the bottom of the bottle:

In Bottle.jpg

In Bottle 001.jpg

When I tried to raise the mast it snapped off at the uppermost hole, which of course was the most vital one later as the Jib Halyard has to be pulled through it:

Broken Mast 003.jpg

Next problem was how to cut the end off the mast to get it to the right height. I came up with this solution - a sliver of scalpel blade Super-glued into a pair of long-nose pliers. That worked beautifully :) :

Broken Mast 001.jpg

Stay tuned for further fixes :D .

Cheers, Danny

Sorry to hear about the mishap Danny. I think the boat was calculated correctly, the mis-calculation was actually in the thickness of the bottle. :P  But like Grant says, I'm sure the fix will be nothing short of genius.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

You have managed to fill the bottle well which makes for a great ship in bottle. Like a good photo filling up the frame and not leaving empty space on the edges.

This problem happened from times to time. I know I've done it more than a few times. There's a few adjustments that can be made. Lower the mast, shorten the bow so the ship can be moved to a slightly taller part of the bottle, or lower the sea or stand the ship is sitting on. Either way your real close Dan. She's looking great.

Thanks for the commiserations Grant, George and Daniel.

George got it exactly right - there is a bulge inside the top of the bottle which wasn't apparent until I actually tried to lift the mast.

As Daniel said, I tried to get right to the extremities of the bottle to make it look "filled" - just that little bit TOO much :( . The boat has been epoxied into the bottom of the bottle, so any repair/adjustment work needs to be carried inside it now.

Cheers, Danny

Good luck Dan, as that add said Bugger!  Just when things were going so well - one of Sod's laws isn't it.

Look forward to your solution.  Will you simply cut off neat just above the eye/loop and put a cap on?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Will you simply cut off neat just above the eye/loop and put a cap on?

That's the plan Pat, but I don't think I'll have enough room for the cap. We'll see.

Cheers, Danny

At least the backward method helps bring the mast tip to the bottle neck. Had you done it conventionally it would be much harder to fix.

"Missed it by that much" - Maxwell Smart

Or maybe you Aussies never received "Get Smart" from the classic age of US television.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Daniel, David, Russell and Greg.

Sometimes I think you "manufacture" an "oopsie" just to astound us with the fix!!!

Trust me Russell, this wasn't "manufactured". I'd have finished the whole thing a couple of days ago except for the accident :( .

Or maybe you Aussies never received "Get Smart" from the classic age of US television.

We're only on the other side of the world, not on Mars Greg :D .

Well, so far so good. I've managed to get the jib stay back on and tightened. Also the forestay. The tip of the mast was a real bugger to get back on after doing the other two lines. It took some rather ingenious (if I say so myself :D ) special tools to help me do it.

From the top, a Q-Tip on a BBQ skewer used for cleaning off glue. A sliver of Scalpel blade super-glued to a skewer for trimming excess line. A piece of bent brass tubing on a handle used for applying glue. A pair of extra-long tweezers made from scrap wood :

Tools.jpg

Raising the forestay. Another tool I made was a piece of square wood with a "U" filed into the end, used as a push-stick. This holds the mast in position while I pull back on the fishing line attached to the stay. The hair clip holds the line while the glue dries :

Repair 001.jpg

Repair 002.jpg

Repair 003.jpg

I used the Q-tip to hold the top of the mast in position while the glue dried on the repair. The Blue-tack holds the push-stick in place :

Repair 004.jpg

Repair 005.jpg

Repair 006.jpg

And .... I also managed to get the Truck back onto the top of the mast :

Truck.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Magnifique Danny  wonderful do over and quite a bit of outside  the box thinking as well as steady hands.

David B

quite a bit of outside  the box thinking

That's part of the fun of ship modelling :) . Don't you mean "outside the bottle thinking"? :D

Thank you David, Grant and Russell.

With all the fixes and adjustments done to my satisfaction (not quite perfect, but hardly noticeable) it was time to add the "sea"

I used Digger's two-part Ultra Clear Casting Resin. It looks a little yellowy when first mixed, but dries clear when it hardens. I used a squeeze bottle to which I glued a piece of Heat-shrink tubing to get the resin into the bottle without actually tipping it in which could have been very messy. Clear tubing would have been better, but I just used what I had on hand :

Sea 003.jpg

Sea 001.jpg

Sea 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Sweet!!!!!  Looks great in the bottle and that sea is perfect.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's a 'bottler' Dan - or should I say a 'corker'  (sorry mate couldn't help myself) :)

cheers (and now back to my day job)

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Awesome! I like the assortment of tools. That's half the fun of sib building.