Mechanical Solar System Build Log

jim_smits

Are you certain you used the right gears? 

When I compare all pictures it appears to me you have the Mercury gears working fine, but there is a discrepancy with the Venus gear - in the instructions the gear-pair on the Venus stage appear to be of similar size, while yours appear to be very different.

Before the lockdown I worked with a group of people on the Hachette Victory, and in that project one had to be very careful, as very often the wood for two or 3 teps further would be delivered with one issue.  For instance, you were provided with kit parts in issue G, but when carfully looking at the instructions you need part of the wood provided with G, but also some provided with D and some wood would be left for a step discussed in issue P.

Did I confuse you?  So were we at first...

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

3 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

When I compare all pictures it appears to me you have the Mercury gears working fine, but there is a discrepancy with the Venus gear - in the instructions the gear-pair on the Venus stage appear to be of similar size, while yours appear to be very different.

I agree here with LH, the images in the instructions show two gears that are almost the same size, where your assembly shows two gears that are distinctly different size....

Not being critical, but you sure you have the right gear?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

John,

As others have suggested, check your gear sizes for the Venus gear. In your Photo #2, Step 1 it shows part #28 (41-tooth gear) on top and part #34 (39-tooth gear) on the bottom. There is a difference of only two teeth in these gears. Your subsequent photos look like there is a larger difference in size. I've just had a close look at mine, and the difference in overall size is negligible, as shown in the instruction pictures. I suspect you have somehow got a wrong gear in there.

An imbecile, I am! 😜 I decided to review all of the assembly steps from the beginning, and in the process I discovered on Instruction spread #3 parts list is a 47-tooth gear disk (Part #38, Item #2), which is part of the Earth gear set assembly, and had used THAT, instead of the 41-tooth gear disk (Part #28, Item #2, on instruction spread #2). No wonder it wouldn’t engage properly! I was certain I had counted the teeth on all the gear disks.

There’s a real quirk in the way the issues and parts are distributed: They give you parts before you need them, and make you wait for the next shipment. You always have parts for future use laying around…

Anyway. I think I’ve got it Sussed!

On 3/3/2021 at 10:45 AM, Landrotten Highlander said:

Before the lockdown I worked with a group of people on the Hachette Victory, and in that project one had to be very careful, as very often the wood for two or 3 teps further would be delivered with one issue.  For instance, you were provided with kit parts in issue G, but when carfully looking at the instructions you need part of the wood provided with G, but also some provided with D and some wood would be left for a step discussed in issue P.

Did I confuse you?  So were we at first...

BINGO! Thank you, LH! That’s EXACTLY what happened!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 9:24 PM, John Levine said:

BINGO! Thank you, LH! That’s EXACTLY what happened!

Hi there

I’ve come back to the thread very late!

glad you got your gearing problems sorted. 
Jim

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 2 weeks later...

that's an interesting way to do a selfie  ;)    glad you found and corrected your problem.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:07 PM, gjdale said:

John,

Do you have the complete instructions for this? I ask because I too have built this Orrery and had no difficulty with getting things to go together correctly. If you do not have them, I can send you a PDF copy of them.

Hi Grant,

I got a shipment today, and they skipped 2 issues: #19 and #21 were not included. I contacted Eaglemoss, and they assured me they will be coming soon (out of stock). Meanwhile, I have a bunch of parts I not quite sure of. Building the main gears is pretty straightforward, but there are some new parts I haven’t seen yer, and I’m curious as to how much I can pre-build while waiting for the missing issues/parts. If you have a PDF of the complete set of instructions, I’d LOVE to have a copy. I enjoy reading through them before actually starting a build, anyway, so it would be greatly appreciated if you could send that file. My email address is: EMAIL ADDY REMOVED

Thank you so much! 👍👍

John

John, I removed your email addy.  MSW gets crawled by a ton of "bots" and you email will fast end up with spammers and other miscreants.   Send Grant a PM with your email in it which is the safest way.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:47 PM, John Levine said:

John, I removed your email addy.  MSW gets crawled by a ton of "bots" and you email will fast end up with spammers and other miscreants.   Send Grant a PM with your email in it which is the safest way.

Great! Thank you. I thought about it before including my email addy, but I hadn’t found the PM feature yet. I’m still new here! 😉

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2015 at 6:36 AM, jim_smits said:

I'm please with the result but I think it will probably require a couple more 'coats' to get full and proper coverage and get the best detail to stand out.

Hi Jim! I know, this is old, And I’ve been tearing my hair out with this, between out of stock parts, and incorrect parts being shipped, but I’m really having a problem applying the shoe polish, and getting it to stay in the engraved areas. Help me please!  

Thanks,

John.