Majellan by Omega1234 - Luxury 37 metre Motor Yacht - 1/200 Miniature 7 inches approx - Finished

You're doing such a fine job.  She'll be a beauty.

bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Frank!  

I'm pretty pleased with it, as well so far; even though, she must be the most complex ship I've built.

Oh, well, we need a challenge every now and then, don't we?

Cheers

Patrick

G'day Patrick

Did you say that you want a challenge? It would be easier to climb the south side of Mt Everest than to attempt your build! :D

I know that you are up to it mate, but please keep the photos coming.  :rolleyes:

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi folks!

Well, I've done a bit more work on the decks, such as laying the individual wooden deck planks (where appropriate, that is). I've also begun to do the preliminary fit out of the Bridge Deck, which houses the Bridge, as well as a large seating/dining area, toilet and washroom for the guests, etc.

I'm being a bit naughty, I must admit, because I'm jumping all over the place with the building sequence. I mean, I haven't really completed one single area of the build at all. In fact, I start a bit here, then I jump over there to do something else, etc. I really need to settle down and start sanding and cleaning the external areas up first, followed by painting, etc before I start on the internal fit out, but hey, I'm the boss, so I can do anything I want, right??? Heh heh.

Oh well, here are the latest photos, so far.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

post-7645-0-50757300-1451916544_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-82834900-1451916560_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-32596200-1451916578_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-49825700-1451916595_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-82909700-1451916618_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-64621500-1451916635_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-84985200-1451916655_thumb.jpeg

Nice work Patrick, She's looking pretty sharp, its your shipyard and you are the Boss, I do the same thing in my shipyard 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Pete!

I do get a bit concerned though, because, as the 'boss', I have been known to argue with myself quite regularly!

All the best!

Patrick

As long that doesn't develop into a 3-way conversation or argument, you should be fine.  ;)  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Pete!

I do get a bit concerned though, because, as the 'boss', I have been known to argue with myself quite regularly!

All the best!

Patrick

G'day Patrick

You are being so polite. We all lnow our admiral ARE THE BOSS and we have to listen to her.

Your build is going along great guns! What did you used for the timber floor? It looks so great and so so so tiny. Did you plank straw together?

Havagoodone mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Shaping up really nice Patrick and arguing with yourself is okay, I do that all the time, even calling myself "domkop."  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

As long that doesn't develop into a 3-way conversation or argument, you should be fine. ;):D:D

Hi Mark

Thanks, but if I'm really bad, ALL of the voices in my head start arguing with me. Then, the fun really starts!!!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Shaping up really nice Patrick and arguing with yourself is okay, I do that all the time, even calling myself "domkop."  ;)

Cheers,

Hi Pete

Thanks, but if you're the 'domkop', then I must be even lower (LOL)....I got a hell of a long way to get up to your standard!

All the best.

Cheers

Patrick

G'day Patrick

You are being so polite. We all lnow our admiral ARE THE BOSS and we have to listen to her.

Your build is going along great guns! What did you used for the timber floor? It looks so great and so so so tiny. Did you plank straw together?

Havagoodone mate

Greg

Hi Greg

Many thanks! The deck is wattyl veneer that I cut into as tiny planks as I could. It takes a bit of practice, but I can generally achieve strips that are slightly less than a millimetre in width.

All the best!

Patrick

Your yacht is getting more and more realistic and pretty. Looks great, wish was able to go on the real boat.

Thanks and yep, like you, I'd love to sail on the real boat, too! Nice to have these dreams, every now and then, isn't it?

Cheers

Patrick

Amazzzzzzzzing Patrick! 1mm wide that is what I call a blind man maker, take it easy mate. 

Goodonyamate

Greg

Wow Patrick, looking great!

And, I wouldn't worry about sporadic decisions and inconsistencies in your build sequence - custom yachts always seem to cost more and take more time than originally planned anyway - what with the owner making last minute design decision changes and such.

On time and on budget are the mystical, lofty dreams that designers and shipyards of any type of boat have heard legends about, but rarely see happen in real life (unless you're building a product line of cookie-cutter boats or ships. Even then, the first boat will take longer and cost more than the tenth...). But yachts and government programs seem to be the worst, since the pockets of both of those types of owners are fairly deep, and the people who make real decisions for either generally don't know jack squat about things like competing or contradictory requirements. It can get fun.

My favorite example was a spec that wanted a 70-80 foot (21-24 meter) boat that could go 40 knots carrying a main battle tank while only drawing two feet (0.6 meters) of water. And they wanted it to be able to survive Sea State 5 (8-13 ft/ 2.5-4 meter waves), while carrying a main battle tank and drawing 2 feet of water. Uh-huh.

But, I digress. I think your build is coming along fantastic, and as long as you don't do something so out of sequence it makes another job really really difficult, there's no problem jumping around. From what I've seen, build sequences and sometimes even construction drawings are treated like the Pirate's Code - more like guidelines, than actual rules. :)

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Wow Patrick, looking great!

And, I wouldn't worry about sporadic decisions and inconsistencies in your build sequence - custom yachts always seem to cost more and take more time than originally planned anyway - what with the owner making last minute design decision changes and such.

On time and on budget are the mystical, lofty dreams that designers and shipyards of any type of boat have heard legends about, but rarely see happen in real life (unless you're building a product line of cookie-cutter boats or ships. Even then, the first boat will take longer and cost more than the tenth...). But yachts and government programs seem to be the worst, since the pockets of both of those types of owners are fairly deep, and the people who make real decisions for either generally don't know jack squat about things like competing or contradictory requirements. It can get fun.

My favorite example was a spec that wanted a 70-80 foot (21-24 meter) boat that could go 40 knots carrying a main battle tank while only drawing two feet (0.6 meters) of water. And they wanted it to be able to survive Sea State 5 (8-13 ft/ 2.5-4 meter waves), while carrying a main battle tank and drawing 2 feet of water. Uh-huh.

But, I digress. I think your build is coming along fantastic, and as long as you don't do something so out of sequence it makes another job really really difficult, there's no problem jumping around. From what I've seen, build sequences and sometimes even construction drawings are treated like the Pirate's Code - more like guidelines, than actual rules. :)

Hi Ben

Thanks for the encouraging words about my disorganisation! I don't really know how it's come about. I think it's because Majellan is a multi-decked ship; so much so that I've had to build all the decks all at once in order to ensure they can be pulled apart easily and also that the staircases are lined up. If it wasn't for those considerations, I would've been starting with the internal work on the lower deck first before I'd even get started on the upper decks; but, hey, there's no harm doing it this way.

You know what? I reckon you've got one of the best jobs around! Being asked to design a hull capable of carry a M1 battle tank...well, that's school boy fantasy stuff!!! I envy you (even if this exact example may not have been your project). Not just because of the challenge of making it happen, but it's also like 'wow', imagine the fun designing, thinking, wondering, etc. great stuff! Naval architecture is one really cool career.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

A big thank you for all of your comments and likes! They're greatly appreciated.

Apologies also, for not having posted more regularly, but I've managed to do some work on the internal accomodation, as well as other bits and pieces around the upper decks. Please see the photos below.

Please note - it's still really rough and there's still a lot of puttying, sanding, painting, etc, etc, to go. But, it is, afterall, a 'work in progress'...

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-29792100-1453472913_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-39805100-1453472929_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-56210200-1453472945_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-35490700-1453472961_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-85870100-1453472979_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-23310800-1453473000_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-14738300-1453473022_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-44737500-1453473038_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-34953300-1453473055_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-38007400-1453473076_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-65937000-1453473097_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-52711700-1453473112_thumb.jpeg

super work Patrick,

she`s looking better with every time you post your update ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very nice progress Patrick.  Looks like a sea-going house on the inside.

I'm jealous - I started the planning for my next build around the time you started this project.  I'm still in the planning stages and trying to get the lines plans to match the body plans so I can start drafting frames.

Hi Frank

Many thanks! Don't feel bad or jealous, though....good things come to those who wait, so I'm sure that your ship will come together when the time's right. I'll look forward to following along.

Cheers all the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

slowly but surely my friend!   she's really beginning to take shape  ;)    I don't think it's a bad thing to jump around.......some of my beast ideas come to me like that.   you'll also get to see if one aspect will work with another...or if it will need some tweaking.   keep going,  your doing a fine job!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It isn't until you see it in your hand, you really appreciate the minute detail in this little boat.  Amazing work Patrick!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild