Majellan by Omega1234 - Luxury 37 metre Motor Yacht - 1/200 Miniature 7 inches approx - Finished

What a great idea and thanks for the suggestion. I'm not quite sure how that'd work in practice as it would mean that each deck would have to slide across on those 'hinges', but it's not impossible. I may just stick with making each deck lift off.

Whether I use your method or some other solution, I can't escape the fact that it's gonna be lots of fun trying to make it all come together.

Thanks and all the very best!

Cheers

Patrick

You're welcome, Patrick. I would suggest personally having a clear Polystyrene under each deck to hold it up completely level, and have pillars of some kind supporting the section furthest out from the hull. 

I am actually considering doing something similar to what you are planning to do for this model for a future project of mine, but mine would be a much larger scale and plan to not have any of the decking in place on this model but would have the planked superstructure and hull  to see how she would look like, but allow for interior looks as well.

Keep up your great work, you are doing a splendid job sir.

Actually some time ago I started it, but was told to put on hold for a while because of lack of experience as that had been my first real try at a scale wooden model that was not a solid hull.

My idea is based off of the Grand Banks 49 Classic, then doubled her size. Would be in 1:48 scale, so would be large enough to see a lot of details inside. This is a plan completely from scratch that I drew up myself. Yes, I guess you can say I feeling bold and frisky  :P  :D

Edited by bdgiantman2

Patrick the 3d mock up is certainly the way to sort out the different sections, I am sure that it will be amazing when you begin getting the shells done and get on with the interiors. Have you considered making a drape mould of each level then it becomes a reasonable task to mask out the windows paint it white peel the masking and then the interiors are free standing on the floors with the shells fitting over them.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

The mock-ups will indeed be very helpful to sort things out.  Now we can see how she'll look when done.  Great job!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

The mock-ups will indeed be very helpful to sort things out.  Now we can see how she'll look when done.  Great job!

Cheers,

Patrick the 3d mock up is certainly the way to sort out the different sections, I am sure that it will be amazing when you begin getting the shells done and get on with the interiors. Have you considered making a drape mould of each level then it becomes a reasonable task to mask out the windows paint it white peel the masking and then the interiors are free standing on the floors with the shells fitting over them.

Michael

Hi Piet and Michael

Many thanks for your comments and feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Michael-I'm not sure what you mean by a 'drape mould'. Are you able to give me some more info?

Cheers

Patrick

Actually some time ago I started it, but was told to put on hold for a while because of lack of experience as that had been my first real try at a scale wooden model that was not a solid hull.

My idea is based off of the Grand Banks 49 Classic, then doubled her size. Would be in 1:48 scale, so would be large enough to see a lot of details inside. This is a plan completely from scratch that I drew up myself. Yes, I guess you can say I feeling bold and frisky  :P  :D

What??? Who told you to put your model on hold? Seems a bit of a shame, really, but I'm sure it was well intentioned advice. I would've perservered and just kept going. It's amazing what you can learn as you go.

Anyhow, hopefully you'll be able to get back to it. We'll all be here to offer you help and support.

Have a great Xmas and New Year.

Cheers

Patrick

Brian,

Someone actually told you put a model on hold?  You're not talking about the Yacht Mary, are you?

Patrick,

There was (might still be there) a frigate, as I recall in the Japanese Model site The Rope.  The interesting part that applies is the builder used small hydraulics to lift the model into several sections such that each deck was visible.    So instead of hydraulics, maybe something along the line of telescoping stanchions that would allow the interior to be raised and displayed as "layers"?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Patrick here are a few pics that shows the process, you can use some old blister pack material which is clear or use some clear sheet styrene. These pics show a fairly deep draw or drape so your would be quite easy because you would not have to draw so deep. just enough for enabling a clean cut around the bottom as in the fourth pic

first a former is made of the basic shape and a window of a thin material 1/8th inch ply or MDF is cut to hold the plastic which is attached with some masking tape. the frame or window with the plastic is then heated up so that the plastic is soft, this is easiest with a hot air gun but an oven will suffice if you don't have a hot air gun

sometimes the plastic pulls away like this

post-202-0-89188000-1450361024_thumb.jpg 

just stick a new scrap and do another like this with .015" styrene sheet

post-202-0-83832400-1450359904_thumb.jpg

or like ]this with some scrap blister pack sheet

post-202-0-06329300-1450359904_thumb.jpg

then you can cut off the section you need like this

post-202-0-53485900-1450359905_thumb.jpg

which gives you sections like these

post-202-0-80558300-1450360502_thumb.jpg

if you use the white you can fret out the windows like this

post-202-0-77338900-1450360134_thumb.jpg

and assemble the parts to form the whole

post-202-0-35433800-1450359906_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Oh and this is a great way to make tiny "fiberglass" model hulls over a wooden form. mini production runs of things like lifeboats as well

Michael

Michael - this has given me some vague idea of how to accomplish some items I was having trouble visualizing how to do on my project! Thanks a lot!

And Patrick - is there any centralized stairway, or other vertical shaft/causeway (elevator or ventilation, etc) that you can discern? These would be good candidates for centralized 'pillars' that can stay fixed to the main hull assembly, while the decks slide over them. Then, if you have say, two of these vertical causeways you can use, that will fix the decks in rotation and translation, allowing the only free movement to be vertical. I can draw up a sketch to clarify if you need. The only trouble I see with this idea might be scale - the size of any vertical causeway, to scale, may not be structurally sound enough to act in the way proposed. It truly is an interesting challenge...

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Brian,

Someone actually told you put a model on hold?  You're not talking about the Yacht Mary, are you?

Patrick,

There was (might still be there) a frigate, as I recall in the Japanese Model site The Rope.  The interesting part that applies is the builder used small hydraulics to lift the model into several sections such that each deck was visible.    So instead of hydraulics, maybe something along the line of telescoping stanchions that would allow the interior to be raised and displayed as "layers"?   

No, not the Yacht Mary. The boat I was suggested to wait on was the stretched Grand Banks idea I was mentioning on the last page. I have definitely learned a lot about model ship building and know plenty more to learn.

Hi Patrick here are a few pics that shows the process, you can use some old blister pack material which is clear or use some clear sheet styrene. These pics show a fairly deep draw or drape so your would be quite easy because you would not have to draw so deep. just enough for enabling a clean cut around the bottom as in the fourth pic

first a former is made of the basic shape and a window of a thin material 1/8th inch ply or MDF is cut to hold the plastic which is attached with some masking tape. the frame or window with the plastic is then heated up so that the plastic is soft, this is easiest with a hot air gun but an oven will suffice if you don't have a hot air gun

sometimes the plastic pulls away like this

attachicon.gifIMG_3730x800.jpg

just stick a new scrap and do another like this with .015" styrene sheet

attachicon.gifIMG_3739x800.jpg

or like ]this with some scrap blister pack sheet

attachicon.gifIMG_3723x800.jpg

then you can cut off the section you need like this

attachicon.gifIMG_3743x800.jpg

which gives you sections like these

attachicon.gifIMG_3746x800.jpg

if you use the white you can fret out the windows like this

attachicon.gifIMG_3750x800.jpg

and assemble the parts to form the whole

attachicon.gifIMG_3757x800.jpg

I hope this helps.

Michael

Hi Michael

That's brilliant and many thanks for your excellent photos. They've got my mind ticking over now, that's for sure!

Stay tuned.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Michael - this has given me some vague idea of how to accomplish some items I was having trouble visualizing how to do on my project! Thanks a lot!

And Patrick - is there any centralized stairway, or other vertical shaft/causeway (elevator or ventilation, etc) that you can discern? These would be good candidates for centralized 'pillars' that can stay fixed to the main hull assembly, while the decks slide over them. Then, if you have say, two of these vertical causeways you can use, that will fix the decks in rotation and translation, allowing the only free movement to be vertical. I can draw up a sketch to clarify if you need. The only trouble I see with this idea might be scale - the size of any vertical causeway, to scale, may not be structurally sound enough to act in the way proposed. It truly is an interesting challenge...

Hi Ben

There are two central staircases in the hull, but, you're right, at this scale, they'll be tiny. It may be just as easy to make each deck completely removable from the next. Still undecided, though. Great advice and greatly appreciated.

All the best for Xmas and 2016!

Cheers

Patrick

Brian,

Patrick,

Hi Mark

I'm not having much luck searching for the "The Rope" website, but I did find a photo on Bob Riddoch's post (http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1710-38th-the-rope-exhibition-tokyo-japan/) of the exhibition in 2013. Looks interesting.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-80503000-1450415098.jpeg

That's the one... 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi everyone and best wishes for Christmas and New Year!!!

I've not been able to do much lately.  However last night, I managed to do a bit more work on the mock up of the superstructure.  This time, I used the actual shapes of the superstructure to get a better approximation of what she'll look like, as well as helping me to work things out better.

Still lots of fun, to go.

The photos below show a bit more of the beauty of the shape beginning to shine through.  Also,for those of you who are watch lovers, the watch is a Ball HydroCarbon DeepQuest; a professional divers watch made out of a solid block of Titanium and rated to a depth of 10 000 feet (3000 metres)!  Oh, by the way, for those in the US, 'Ball' is an American owned company, who build their watches in Switzerland.

All the best!

Patrick

post-7645-0-33473200-1450678776_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-60498400-1450678783_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-78127600-1450678788_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-74357400-1450678794_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Absolutely starting to show her true form Patrick. Sure will be pretty!  Nice watch!  Christmas present?  :)

I hope you and yours have a safe and Happy Holiday! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Amazing work in styrene Patrick,

you are scouting out new land,... wunderbar

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi mate, best wishes for Christmas for you and your family!!! :) :)  Your Majellan looks great!! :) :) I like the watch too... My favorite is  the Ωmega speedmaster pro (moon watch) Neil Armstrong... :D :D

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

You're going great guns Patrick! Can't wait for the real deal.

On an another matter, my admiral and I wish you and your family and all of your loyal readers a very merry Christmas and a wonderful 2016.

Havagooday mate.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Patrick, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I concur with all of the above. 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

She's going to be beautiful, Patrick.   I hope you and yours have a wondrous Christmas and great New Year.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Absolutely starting to show her true form Patrick. Sure will be pretty! Nice watch! Christmas present? :)

I hope you and yours have a safe and Happy Holiday!

Thanks George!

All the best for Christmas and 2016! The watch was a gift to me that I bought from my redundancy payout. Not that I needed another watch, but this one was too good to walk away from. I just had to buy it!!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234