Majellan by Omega1234 - Luxury 37 metre Motor Yacht - 1/200 Miniature 7 inches approx - Finished

Excellent bit of engineering Patrick!  I'm waiting for the launch and water-skis - - - in miniature  :)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I wasn't going to bring that up, Ben...  I figured someone else would. :P  :P :P  

If I paid that much for a boat, the hydraulics better be hidden.

Lovely work, Patrick.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I suppose it depends on how engineering-minded you are. I think I'd keep the hydraulics visible - but then, one of my favorite book genres is the large Cross-Sections books that expose all the hidden inner workings of everyday things. You know, the ones they have in the children's section at Barnes and Nobles booksellers.  :rolleyes:

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Bingo!!!!   You nailed it.  Great looking and working door, Patrick.

Excellent job on the stern door Patrick!!!  I love it!!

Cheers

Dimitris

I wasn't going to bring that up, Ben...  I figured someone else would. :P  :P :P

Excellent bit of engineering Patrick!  I'm waiting for the launch and water-skis - - - in miniature  :)

Cheers,

Hi Mark, Dimitris and Piet

Many, many thanks for your comments and Likes.

Greatly appreciated

Patrick

G'day Patrick. 

Congratulations on a wonderful and different job. Scrathing your head head and using the grey matter​ does work. What are you going to do on the side of the transom next to the door? Also will you be making the two Runabouts and their details as well? Interesting! 

Well mate as I and many others has said before, this is where the fun starts! 

Keep up to your usual standards and this will be outstanding! 

The only problem that I can say about your scales models are: they are too bloody small to get a good depth of field when you take the photos!  :D

Havagooday mate

Greg

Hi Greg

Thanks for your compliments. Greatly appreciated!

Yep- My aim is to put in as much detail as I can, including the ship's tender and jet skis...wish me luck!

Also, I know what you're saying about the 'depth of field' in my photos. I've got a whizz bang camera, but I'll have to put in a Help Desk call to the 'Technical Support' branch of the family (AKA my son!) to show me how to use it. Hopefully, I'll learn how to take better shots..

Cheers

Patrick

G'day Patrick, my you do love Tiny but your so good at it, all I can say is Amazing,

best regards John.

Hi John

Many thanks! Yep, I do love miniatures, but also, I have to build small scale models because I don't have a lot of space! Incidentally, all of my much loved RC yachts are gathering dust in the garden shed....so, yer, tiny models is the only way to go for me.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Nice!

Now we just need to see the miniature hydraulic power unit, hoses, and arms that will move that beast of a door up and down! ;)

I wasn't going to bring that up, Ben... I figured someone else would. :P:P :P

If I paid that much for a boat, the hydraulics better be hidden.

Lovely work, Patrick.

Bob

I suppose it depends on how engineering-minded you are. I think I'd keep the hydraulics visible - but then, one of my favorite book genres is the large Cross-Sections books that expose all the hidden inner workings of everyday things. You know, the ones they have in the children's section at Barnes and Nobles booksellers. :rolleyes:

Hi Ben, Mark and Bob

Gees, no pressure with the details, hey? LOL. Actually, I'd love to make it look as convincing as possible, but I'm struggling to find some good photos of these stern garages on yachts. If all else fails, we could always tell the skipper to say 'open sesame'!!!

Seriously though, many thanks for all of your comments and feedback.

Many thanks

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Love to see the creative process.  I can only think of what the sausages I call my fingers would do on a similar project.  A whole different set of problems and solutions.

Keep the pics coming!

Mark

Thanks Mark! Sometimes, I think I have a sausage brain as well as sausage fingers, because neither of them talk to each other...

All the best

Patrick

G'day Patrick

Re the photos: you can always use a tripod to hold the camera and use a large f stop and a long exposure. That way you will get a deeper depth of field, or you can bugger it, it too much work. Lol.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Good work Patrick,

you have an eye for the technical goodies and to set those in scale, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I suppose it depends on how engineering-minded you are. I think I'd keep the hydraulics visible - but then, one of my favorite book genres is the large Cross-Sections books that expose all the hidden inner workings of everyday things. You know, the ones they have in the children's section at Barnes and Nobles booksellers.  :rolleyes:

I have a clock with exposed gears on display.  But I do not want to see my furnace in the living room.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

G'day Patrick

Re the photos: you can always use a tripod to hold the camera and use a large f stop and a long exposure. That way you will get a deeper depth of field, or you can bugger it, it too much work. Lol.

Havagooday mate

Greg

Thanks Greg. I like your logic - "oh bugger it; too much hard work."! In fact, sometimes I use that same logic when I'm gardening, especially with the Aussie heatwaves we get.....

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

I have a clock with exposed gears on display.  But I do not want to see my furnace in the living room.

Bob

Hi Ben and Bob

It seems that we all think in similar ways. Ben - I love those cross sectional books as well. Bob - I also love clocks and watches with exposed mechanisms. One of my most prized wrist watches is a Russian made Poljot watch which is a true skeleton watch, ie it has the mechanism fully exposed for all to see. Just lovely to watch the gears, levers and springs all working harmoniously together.

Have a good one Guys!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

finally I got to catch up on your progress Patrick........all I can say is wow!  you've really made some fine progress on her!   can't wait to see all the interior work!

keep it up.....your doing a splendid job my friend!  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi everyone

Thanks for all of your comments and likes!  Greatly appreciated.

A very quick update.   I've been spending some time doing lots of work to get the internal layout correctly laid out.  Tedious work and, not much to show for it.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd loosely attach the lines drawing of the superstructure against the hull as a means of keeping me motivated.  

Anyhow, here are the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-00354600-1448805613_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-61883300-1448805619_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-93532100-1448805624_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-78037400-1448805631_thumb.jpg

It looks like it's not going to be without challenges Patrick, but will definitely be beautiful when you're done.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Patrick, you sure have your work cut out for you with the Cabin, Shes going to look amazing 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I don't know what to say other than WOW !

Bob

That is going to take a lot of patience and time.  And you will preserver and do a wonderful job.  Will you be using styrene for part of it?

David B

Wunderbar Patrick !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

G'day Patrick

Got one word.

DUSNUS!

I think only the poeple in Australia who have watch the promos for MKR for next year would get it.

So for the rest mate: brilliant!

Haveagreatone

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Patrick,

Following you logs through your various builds I'm beginning to feel like Gulliver in Lilliput!!!!!!

Great work.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

It looks like it's not going to be without challenges Patrick, but will definitely be beautiful when you're done. :)

Hi George. Many thanks and yep, you're right - in retrospect, maybe I should've named her Challenger instead of Majellan!

Hi Patrick, you sure have your work cut out for you with the Cabin, Shes going to look amazing

Best Regards,

Pete

HI Pete - thanks - you're sure right about the Cabin...I'm still trying to figure out how to make the individual decks within the superstructure itself lift off so that you can view the detail inside. Mmmm, should be fun...

I don't know what to say other than WOW !

Bob

Hey Bob! Many thanks - she's shaping up to be a lot of fun, that's for sure.

That is going to take a lot of patience and time. And you will preserver and do a wonderful job. Will you be using styrene for part of it?

David B

Thanks David - Yep, I'll use styrene for the majority of the superstructure, as it seems to be the most suitable material that I can think of.

Wunderbar Patrick !

Nils

Thanks Nils - Come to think of it, Magellan's hull is probably just big enough to fit on your KMDG as a lifeboat!

G'day Patrick

Got one word.

DUSNUS!

I think only the poeple in Australia who have watch the promos for MKR for next year would get it.

So for the rest mate: brilliant!

Haveagreatone

Greg

Thanks Greg - Greatly appreciated. I haven't seen the MKR promos yet, but I'm sure the DUSNUS will make sense once I see it!

Hi Patrick,

Following you logs through your various builds I'm beginning to feel like Gulliver in Lilliput!!!!!!

Great work.

Best,

John

Thanks John! I'm glad that you're enjoying my log as well as those of my other ships. Greatly appreciated. :)

I am ready to go on a ride in her already. Looks great, Patrick! I love the 3D perspective pics you took of your model.

Thanks BDGiantman. The 3D photos were a bit of fun, but also a means to get me to focus on the final product, i.e. what Magellan can look like with the superstructure added.

Edited by Omega1234

really like the way you've shown this......looks cool!  :)    I agree with the others.......if she comes out looking like that......it will be beautiful!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch