Naval Cutter Cheerful by SawdustDave - 1806 - 1:48th scale

Not so bad George, after you look at it for a few hours as I must. :)

The good news is, what you see here pretty much completes the use of the UNC blue trim. Thought about the gun trucks, but, for now it seems a little much.

What think ye?

Speaking of which, beginning this evening, I plan to build and rig the first two gun stations.

I'll be using cannons that will be cast from a mold created from a wood turning master which goes back to my Syren build.

Not sure If I will try to use any of the short carronades. Not decided yet.

Thanks for the visit.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Looking good, Dave. I'd favor the red trucks. Carolina blue would be a bit too...?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I also like red trucks.... But.... That brings me back to NC State colors. Frustrating as hell, but that in the most incredibly fierce school rivalry you can imagine. Even made worst by the fact that Duke University is right there in the same neighborhood.

I think I will first look at dark walnut w/black wheels.

I sure do appreciate the input guys.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Looking good Dave.  Yeah, darker woodsy colored trucks would look real nice.  That'll make 'm pop otherwise the ship would resemble a "candy wagon."   ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Like the others, the blue is becoming nice!  I like the idea of walnut or just natural color for the carraiges.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Spent the evening trying different combos....

Red looks better than dark walnut.

Natural with golden oak stain, not enough contrast to the deck planks.

"Candy wagon"....

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Burgundy?  Maybe not so bad...  drink a glass and paint a carriage. ;)   Seriously, sounds like that might work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That could work. ;)  Patiently awaiting pix. :rolleyes:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Might work. Try photographing it in natural (aka sun) light - preferably in shade area under a clear sky to get the truest color. ;)

OK.... Burgandy they shall be.

This pic appears more red than it really is. The color is pretty much a perfect wine color. Definitely not the red of NC State Wolfpack.

post-11777-0-85542700-1445869065_thumb.jpg

Looks like this first gun port (on the port side) would be a pretty tough place to operate from. Keep in mind that the bowsprit runs directly to the middle of the two knight heads right behind the gun. That knee also comes into play with the recoil of each firing.

I am not going to rip out and move a thing at this point. That is the gun crew's problem. They will either live with it or walk the plank.

Sawdust Dave -

God forbid it should be the red of NC State Wolfpack.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Right Ken. Don't want the good Dr. to be taking any heat over the color of the gun trucks.

One down, 13 to go.

This first one took me six hours, but that included a lot of experimenting.....plus, the fact that I haven't rigged a cannon in over three years.

Really enjoyed this one....the other thirteen will seem more like work.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Tight quarters, Cap'n!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Right Ken. Don't want the good Dr. to be taking any heat over the color of the gun trucks.

Just remind yourself, Dave, the good doctor not only has the training to know where your bodily orifices are, he ALSO has access to sharp, pointy instruments.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Sorry guys.... I just couldn't abide the "space issue" with that first cannon.

So I will pull that one out and replace it with one of these smaller rigs I had developed for my SOS build.

Smaller cannon and the footprint of the truck is better suited for the tight quarters.

post-11777-0-85462500-1445886563_thumb.jpg

I am creating a casting mold from this cannon in order to make four of these units.

post-11777-0-01479400-1445886579.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Just caught up with you over here at this build Dave. This Wolfpack fan is loving what you are doing for your Dr. at UNC!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Molding and Casting cannons....

I took a few quick shots of the process for those who might not be familiar with molding and casting.

With over a dozen cannons needed, the options are.... Order manufactured cannons, turn each one individually, or use a master to create a mold and produce an unlimited number of identical units with castings.

Personally, I enjoy the molding and casting process.

For molding, I use "Smooth-On" urethane mold compound (2 parts).... cures in about 16 hours.

For casting, I use Alumilite liquid casting plastic (2 parts).... cures in about 20 minutes

The top left mold was created three years ago using the turned cannon seen in the pic.

The top right mold was poured at about noon yesterday and removed early this morning. I used the brass cannons purchased for my SOS build to create a DOUBLE mold.

The castings turned out great.

post-11777-0-68588400-1446044686_thumb.jpg

In this next set of pics....

Top left, the cannon castings are painted black.

Top right, I'm using a mold created years ago to produce the truck sides.

Bottom left, the trucks are assembled and pre-rigged. Also note the comparison of the 4-wheeled truck that will be used for the 10 gun ports aft of the windless.

Bottom right, is the smaller cannon installed in that first gun port position.

Note the much improved footprint in that very confined space.

post-11777-0-43203200-1446045022_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

The castings turned out nice Dave. A method I think I'll but in the old "memory-banks"  for future reference.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Good solid shop day....

Lot's of cannon rigging, but a few other items to break the repetition cycle.

First, this little plate which will eventually carry the jib outhaul line from the tip of the bowsprit....

post-11777-0-59580700-1446162970_thumb.jpg

Then I cut and fitted the catheads and bow rail pin holder....

post-11777-0-04919600-1446163127_thumb.jpg

Finally, mounted all four of the small 3 pounder guns and two of the 6 pounders.

post-11777-0-90740700-1446163249_thumb.jpg

Real nice to see the foredeck beginning to fill in. And the colors seem to all be working pretty well overall.

Began shaping a couple of anchors this evening. They are always fun to build and rig.

Sawdust Dave -

Here's an interesting link to a video I think all of you will enjoy as I did.

https://www.facebook.com/stefano.simeoni.1/posts/766719033457113

Can you imagine building an entire ship with these tools? And the men swinging those mallets and axes with such skill is mind boggling to me.

We really have become soft over the years, by comparison, huh?

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks John. You can understand why I went to the little two-wheeled 3 pound cannon rig. That big ol' windlass really takes up a lot of space.

Sawdust Dave -

More cannons....

Another three days of working on the eight remaining 6 pounder cannons.

Assembled and painted the trucks and wheels .... or do you call them carriages and trucks?

Cast the cannons and painted them and mounted them onto the carriages.

post-11777-0-47203200-1446413350_thumb.jpg

Now working on the pre-rigging of the blocks and tackle.

Using 3cm and 5cm blocks. Note, at this scale, I am leaving out the hooks and serving the tackle directly onto the rings.

post-11777-0-57359700-1446413632_thumb.jpg

Think I'll take a break from the guns this evening and carve the six cap rail timberheads.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Aye, mate .... carriages and trucks.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That's what I thought Augie. Thanks for confirming.

After all these years, I must admit, the proper nomenclature of ship parts is definitely not my strong suit.

Thanks to a lot of help from you guys here at MSW, and Google, I manage to get by most of the time.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -