Naval Cutter Cheerful by SawdustDave - 1806 - 1:48th scale

Clean, beautiful and amazingly fast.   Wow!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Taking a much needed break from tying clove hitches (about 50% completed), I decided to have a little fun with the special "colors" this ship will fly.

Played around with giving them a more realistic look, but completely lost the ability to see and read the UNC Medical Center logo. So, as a trade-off, I chose to let them stand proud like a starched dress shirt.

post-11777-0-89905200-1447897004_thumb.jpg

I also created the name plate for the transom, which can hardly be seen without lifting the stern up high enough to see below the gun ports. Unfortunately, the stern design of these cutters just didn't lend themselves to prominent stern lettering.

post-11777-0-91389200-1447897146_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

The Doc'll love it Dave. If you ask nice maybe Nenad will loan you some of his "working ants" to help with the  rat-lines.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Rat lines will be done by noon tomorrow George. Then I can move on to the yards. This only leaves the anchors and display base.

Oh, still need to darken the bow stem and keel.... :) :)

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Say Dave ...looks like this build will be better than having an HMO!!!  :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Never thought I'd say a Tarheel banner looked good! The Doc is going to love this!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

COMPLETED CHEERFUL BUILD....

After taking a day away from the shop following the ratline tying ordeal, I came back yesterday for a full day and made excellent progress. Early start this morning, and, after lashing the anchors down, I'm happy to report that she's done!

Starting with the overhead view....

post-11777-0-04779500-1448221687_thumb.jpg

Port side view....

post-11777-0-05738500-1448221784_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the shrouds....

post-11777-0-31134500-1448221838_thumb.jpg

Forward deck view....

post-11777-0-49769300-1448222119_thumb.jpg

Close up of the anchors....

post-11777-0-59941200-1448221889_thumb.jpg

BTW - Here's the way I cut out the anchor parts...

post-11777-0-62571900-1448221971_thumb.jpg

Always my favorite shot is the low bow view....

post-11777-0-09075700-1448222013_thumb.jpg

Note the new hard rock maple display base I created this morning.

Also, note that I managed to darken the bow stem and keel with golden oak stain. Much happier with the new look. The stain really made the tree nails pop.

So now I can turn my attention to the little "ugly duckling" decoy ship....

Actually, I'm beginning to be rather fond of that little dude. With two weeks to go, there's no telling what I might wind up with there. :)

Sawdust Dave -

Dave -

Very nicely done!!!  The quality of your work shows through on every photo.  Even the display base radiates craftsmanship. 

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Dave,

Good job!!  It's hard to believe you've only been working on this for a little over two months!  That's some quick building.  I've been working on my longboat for 5 months, and still haven't finished.  Make sure you post photos of the presentation to your doctor.

Erik

Edited by Erik W

She looks great Dave, and done with lightning-speed.  Your "Doc" will love it, after getting over the initial deception.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

This will be an awesome gift Dave!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Well done Dave. The Doc will love it.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Really nice, Dave.  Highest quality work and innovative to boot!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Well Done Dave, What a Beautiful Boat 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Excellent job.  Congrats on a great build.

I'm sure your doctor will be awed.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful job Dave and a nice touch with the little flags!  You better put a pillow on the floor in front of the doc so his jaw will land on something soft  ;)

We are looking forward to seeing the presentation pics.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

My congrats as well Dave on the completion of your Cheerful!

I am also really looking forward to what the next couple of weeks allows you to do on the decoy!  :)

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

WOW! I'm blown away with all the wonderful comments.....even from mates I have not had the pleasure of previous exchanges. To those of you who have followed this special build from the beginning (seems like yesterday), I cannot thank you enough. So many to name, but especially George, Jesse, Piet, Augie, Mark, Frank, Ken, Rusty, Nigel, Patrick, Jack, David, John, Toni, Druxey, Brian, CaptSteve, Pete, Yves,....I know I must be leaving some out.....apologies to those.

Just know I love you all, and thoroughly enjoy your excellent modeling skills, and try to learn from each and every one of you every day.

God bless the Model Ship World community.

All the pressure now relieved, I had fun in the shop today, picking up on the little decoy ship. It seems so tiny, after working on the larger ship for the last month.

All I can say is, I promise it will be cute as a puppy when I finish with it.

Just think, I will be jumping from that little thing back to the SOS!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave,

This is a wonderful thing you're doing.  I'm in awe of the speed and the care you put into it.  Fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

An excellent build and maybe the fastest . I like the way you created,a nice back drop. It really makes the rigging stand out.

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

An excellent job overall, Dave !!!

I guess there's nothing left to do except to order drinks and popcorn, then take our seats and wait for the presentation to begin !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

As a reminder, (found it online) here is the little $14.99 kit I started with....

post-11777-0-66673600-1448288128_thumb.png

Like I said earlier, it was given to me as a joke, and, as you can see, it's about as sophisticated as a cub scout pine wood derby racer kit.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -