SawdustDave

Naval Cutter Cheerful by SawdustDave - 1806 - 1:48th scale

Taking a much needed break from tying clove hitches (about 50% completed), I decided to have a little fun with the special "colors" this ship will fly.

Played around with giving them a more realistic look, but completely lost the ability to see and read the UNC Medical Center logo. So, as a trade-off, I chose to let them stand proud like a starched dress shirt.

post-11777-0-89905200-1447897004_thumb.jpg

I also created the name plate for the transom, which can hardly be seen without lifting the stern up high enough to see below the gun ports. Unfortunately, the stern design of these cutters just didn't lend themselves to prominent stern lettering.

post-11777-0-91389200-1447897146_thumb.jpg

COMPLETED CHEERFUL BUILD....

After taking a day away from the shop following the ratline tying ordeal, I came back yesterday for a full day and made excellent progress. Early start this morning, and, after lashing the anchors down, I'm happy to report that she's done!

Starting with the overhead view....

post-11777-0-04779500-1448221687_thumb.jpg

Port side view....

post-11777-0-05738500-1448221784_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the shrouds....

post-11777-0-31134500-1448221838_thumb.jpg

Forward deck view....

post-11777-0-49769300-1448222119_thumb.jpg

Close up of the anchors....

post-11777-0-59941200-1448221889_thumb.jpg

BTW - Here's the way I cut out the anchor parts...

post-11777-0-62571900-1448221971_thumb.jpg

Always my favorite shot is the low bow view....

post-11777-0-09075700-1448222013_thumb.jpg

Note the new hard rock maple display base I created this morning.

Also, note that I managed to darken the bow stem and keel with golden oak stain. Much happier with the new look. The stain really made the tree nails pop.

So now I can turn my attention to the little "ugly duckling" decoy ship....

Actually, I'm beginning to be rather fond of that little dude. With two weeks to go, there's no telling what I might wind up with there. :)

Dave,

Good job!!  It's hard to believe you've only been working on this for a little over two months!  That's some quick building.  I've been working on my longboat for 5 months, and still haven't finished.  Make sure you post photos of the presentation to your doctor.

Erik

Edited by Erik W

Beautiful job Dave and a nice touch with the little flags!  You better put a pillow on the floor in front of the doc so his jaw will land on something soft  ;)

We are looking forward to seeing the presentation pics.

Cheers,

WOW! I'm blown away with all the wonderful comments.....even from mates I have not had the pleasure of previous exchanges. To those of you who have followed this special build from the beginning (seems like yesterday), I cannot thank you enough. So many to name, but especially George, Jesse, Piet, Augie, Mark, Frank, Ken, Rusty, Nigel, Patrick, Jack, David, John, Toni, Druxey, Brian, CaptSteve, Pete, Yves,....I know I must be leaving some out.....apologies to those.

Just know I love you all, and thoroughly enjoy your excellent modeling skills, and try to learn from each and every one of you every day.

God bless the Model Ship World community.

All the pressure now relieved, I had fun in the shop today, picking up on the little decoy ship. It seems so tiny, after working on the larger ship for the last month.

All I can say is, I promise it will be cute as a puppy when I finish with it.

Just think, I will be jumping from that little thing back to the SOS!

Edited by SawdustDave

As a reminder, (found it online) here is the little $14.99 kit I started with....

post-11777-0-66673600-1448288128_thumb.png

Like I said earlier, it was given to me as a joke, and, as you can see, it's about as sophisticated as a cub scout pine wood derby racer kit.

Edited by SawdustDave