Naval Cutter Cheerful by SawdustDave - 1806 - 1:48th scale

Years ago when I was a scout.  Younger and lighter and full of energy I used to build those pinewood derby kits to race.  Trust me the scouts turned those blocks into fantastic looking cars with the shaping and paint.  For someone who does not mind, that kit would make a good base for something eye catching.

And you accomplished that.  It might have started out as a pig's ear but was turned into a silk purse.

David B

Speaking of Cub Scouts, and Pine Wood Durby racing.... Went through that with my son, and then two grandsons. Learned after the first year, the kids are only competitive if the dad becomes heavily involved. Much more so than simply "coaching". That was the last year my boy's Pine Wood Durby racer did not win "Best in Show" and fastest.

Fond memories for sure.

Anyone interested, I will gladly share my secret to "fastest". You can PM me on that subject.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Back to the shop....update

After finishing up the Doc's ship, we took a couple of days for some holiday visitation, enjoyed friends and family, and ate way too much good food.

Gave a lot of thought to just how crazy I want to get with the little decoy ship, and decided it will most likely be a matter of just wait and see how it goes from here.  Scale is right much of an issue, although I found that I still have quite a few very small scale blocks and dead eyes left over from my mini-vic project three years ago.

Built the masts before the holiday break, then, worked most of the day on getting some channels and shrouds rigged....pretty tricky due to the scale.

Managed to pre-assemble the pendants, shrouds, and chainlink to the channels and then glue the assembly to the wales and nail them in prior to pulling the rigging through the cross trees. 

Here's a couple of process pics....

post-11777-0-62673100-1448665818_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-71121800-1448665846_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-41951700-1448665876_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-92087100-1448665900_thumb.jpg

And here's where I am as I turn off the lights for the evening....

post-11777-0-57773200-1448665972_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Cute little ship Dave, it's nice enough looking as is to serve as the real gift.  That'll make the follow-up more for the jaw-dropping surprise.  I would like to be present when all this takes place and see his face.  I bet that he'll treasure both to remember you and this special occasion.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

FINISHED.... Update

Tomorrow is the big presentation day!

So, today, I finished up the little decoy ship and took a few quick pics, seen below.

Tomorrow should be a lot of fun for the entire staff of Dr. Pillsbury.

Here's the finished decoy ship....

post-11777-0-20922400-1449091896_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-59611200-1449091928_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-72727200-1449091938_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-11526900-1449091950_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

That little decoy would certainly make a worthy enough gift Dave.  For sure it will leave him baffled.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I agree with all the above posts:  That little decoy is a really nice boat!

Excellent work.

(Does he get to keep both?)

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Beautifully done Dave.  I too am looking forward to the presentation pics and hopefully a video.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I'm looking forward to the presentation, Dave.  Should be one of those great moments.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks again guys.

It felt strange to sleep in this morning with no pressing reason to open the shop at 5:00 am as usual.

Admiral is nervous about her duties of shooting the presentation video with my Ipad camera.

Spent 30 minutes going over both models and cannot find anything to tweek at this point....all good to go.

post-11777-0-46169100-1449146947_thumb.jpg

Ken.... at this point, I am planning to bring the decoy back with me as a personal reminder of the whole project.

Guess I have become rather fond of the cute little thing.

Now we're looking forward to dusting off the SOS build.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

You may have to pry the little boat out of the docs hands! I see him wanting to keep them both! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Ship presentation to Dr. Pillsbury....

Yesterday went extremely well.  Dr. Pillsbury was completely surprised.

I'll let the video speak for itself.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSFWm6nc-ag

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Like the Dr. said, Awesome Dave!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Well done Dave! The good doctor was suitably wowed.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Add my congrats. and I'm happy to see that he appreciates your work.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Congrats Dave...I hope your Doc enjoys his cutter for many years to come.

Thanks to you for sharing your build as well.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Fantastic Dave, thanks for sharing this special moment with all of us.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Dave,

The others have used up all the superlatives but that video is great.   What a moment to have captured. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys.  I agree with the "Wowed" comment Ken.

The first couple of minutes of the video was edited out in order to create a fairly small file for viewing.  The introduction of the little decoy ship was funny as it could be, and he bought into the mis-direction plan "hook line and sinker"!  

The look on his face, when told he could choose either, "ship A or ship B", was priceless.

I'm so glad you folks dropped in to share the moment and witness the infectious personallity of this wonderful physician.

Obviously, this has been a rewarding project....well worth the effort.  Thanks all for your visits and community support.

Now.....back to the SOS. 

Hope we will see ya' there.

Sawdust Dave -

• 1 year later...