Waterlines and Wales

Good Morning everyone

On my Endeavour the waterline and wales positions are not drawn.

Should the plans show these? Or is it up to the ship builder to position the wales in

a line that looks good?

I would have thought that the waterline is something that would have been

decided when the ship was being designed.

I see that the wales can be worked out by evenly spacing down from the gunwales

and working out the heights bow and stern. But on the pics of the Endeavour the bottom

of the wales seems to be at the waterline, which I don't have.

All help much appreciated Thanks Chris

Edit I should have said it is an Artesania Latina kit

Edited by Cabbie

Chris,

Go to the Kit Build Logs and search on keyword: Endeavour.  There's 7 logs it looks like for the AL version.  One of them might have run into this problem and solved it.   I've not done this ship so I'm no help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There is a book

Captain Cook's Endeavor (Anatomy of the Ship) Hardcover – April 6, 2010

The paste in is from Amazon  -  Using the book,  you should be able to derive just about anything for this vessel.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Jaager I am waiting for a new print to become available 6 Oct, hopefully the answer will be in there.

I just thought I might be able to gain a bit of general info. Thanks Chris

The top of the wale in midships is 6 strakes down from the port sills, if you use the same width planks as the replica.  Best I can do.

While not able to answer about the wales, I can discuss a bit about design waterlines. Regrettably, they were more art than science. The designer showed where the ship should float, but it all depended on lading and ballast to achieve. The British didn't adopt more scientific methods of calculating displacement until mid-1800's, even though early (approximate) methods were known in the mid to late 1600's.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks Wayne it sounds as though that I please myself.  "Let your eye be your guide", as my father would say.

It is really the nice full curve that the replica has that I like, so that is what I will aim for. Thanks Chris

It is strange that the waterline and wale positions are not on your plans, I built the AL Endeavour (a long time ago) and there was a plan showing the side view. Here is a photo of the original draught maybe you can judge from this where the wales and water line are. I think that its very important to get the position and curve of the wales correct as it determines the whole look of the ship.

post-819-0-54386700-1443092535_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

All I have is a few photos so can't give more than a rough guess on plank width.

The heights really should be noted somewhere in plans or instructions.  It's kind of important.