San Francisco II by LMDAVE29 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:90

Decided to hold off on finishing the handrails this weekend and to jump back and finish the rubbing strake and trim around the hull and stern, and go ahead and finish painting the hinges on the the gun pot cover. It was time to add them on. Even though there's a long way to go, this step really push the model forward.

411850312.jpg

411850311.jpg

411850310.jpg

Thanks.

I'm working on the stern section. They gave pre-casted windows and door for captain's quarters stern. I wanted to make the windows look real as possible, so I wanted to use Tamiya clear paints for the panes, but all I had at the time was red and amber (perfect for model car signal lights), I decided to use the red to give it a stained glass look to be something "different" than the average white-ish windows I see on most of the other versions of this.

411854674.jpg

Nice! Planking looks great. I really wish I had more knowledge when I did mine.

I have just mounted my Lantern. I found it was a good idea to add a peice of trim horizontally onto the back of the stern right above the hole. The stern was only 2.5 mm so I added the extra peice of trim to have a bit more wood to accept the Lantern. I will post a pic next time I update my log , maybe tomorrow.

Here's a little off cycle task of the anchor, I wanted to see how well I could make the cast anchor stock look like real wood. Here's the before and after

411872549.jpg

Thanks guys, yeah I've notice many different kits over the years from others' builds with different color pieces and assemblies.

So more updates....finished the rudder, except I forgot a few nails in the bracket I'll need to get back to.

411897362.jpg

411897363.jpg

Spent a little time this holiday painting the shields for the ship. Very intricate painting involved. Also, added the lantern

411929291.jpg

411929289.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

Working on the grating on the deck, the one at the bow it the most intricate. In most kits they provided premade cast grating that you had to paint to look like real wood....not this one, you had to make them from somewhat scratch...at least they provided the crossbeams with slits in them already. But, that's the fun of these build is making the pieces. The bow didn't come out as perfect as things are not perfectly centered, so I had to make adjustments for that.

411958359.jpg

411958362.jpg

411958363.jpg

What I did for the bow grating was make an outline by transfering the shape of the opening to a peice of paper. I was able to use this outline as a layout. I then got the peices together and make sure they fit perfectly within the outline before putting it all together. Only minor sanding was required for the perfect fit.

Yeah, I went back and looked at yours just now, yours came out great! I probably should have done a transfer like that to work with.

Dave,

This is a good looking build. I have been working on my SF for sometime and although the directions are poor, it's definitely a good looking ship. Great job so far!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Thanks Fish, it  is a fun build. The build starts out as blocks and strips of wood and after you get to the gun ports and rubbing strakes it pops into this beautiful ship.

I went ahead and finished a full rigging of the cannon so I'll know what I'm in for with the other 11. The dark thread used for the rigging is not my favorite because it doesn't stand out against the dark brown carriage, but i think I'll stick with it.

411963323.jpg

411963322.jpg

To keep the jumping around to deck things, I've been working on the jolly boat, still have some work to do on the cleats, but it's basically done.

l-411974722.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, yeah, I decided not to use the metal pins with the kit and ordered  some 10mm wood pins, they were a little fatter than desired, but I do like the look of them. I probably built that pinrack about 5 times and finally settled on that one. I will try to give some more space on the other ones.

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I've update. Took a little break through the holidays, but back on it now. Finally got all of the cannons rigged and mounted, and started on the deck belaying pins.

412191666.jpg

Some more deck/belaying pin updates, also practicing some photography also. I don't know if this backing sheet is "too much" but I thought it gives it a new touch. May just use some solid backing sheets and do some more of these water ones at the end.

l-412204032.jpg

l-412204031.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29