San Francisco II by LMDAVE29 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:90

Thanks edmay.

Starting assembling deadeyes. I'm not crazy about the way this kit has the chainplates made with twisting wire. Hopefully they hold under tension.

412221128.jpg

She's looking grand.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

Thanks Bob, I'm just about ready to start working on the masts. Also, I've been contemplate doing furled sails on this. I've done no sails before, and full sails, never tried furled. So, I want to research the best furled look and go with it.

Edited by LMDAVE29

HI Joe

One thing i learned from model cars was making turn signals. Using this "Clear red" form Tamiya paint, and paint it over aluminum foil gives it a real red plastic/glass look.Just make a coil of aluminum and paint it with that stuff to replace the red plastic in the kit.

This is some examples of the red used  over aluminum foil on some cars I did:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/904309/24630821/410928902.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/904309/24630821/410928898.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

Superb, fine work there. This was my first ship model, I never actually finished it. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I started assembling the bowsprit, and when I got to the first couple of rigging blocks I stropped them with steel wire and even though it's effective I did't really like the look on this ship. I decided I'm going to strop all blocks with rope now, it's a little more of a pain with the seizing thread but I do think it looks more natural to this period ship.

412254794.jpg

412254793.jpg

Yes, I have since tapered the bowsprit more, the earlier picture when I was playing around with the rigging blocks it wasn't tapered good yet. And the lower masts are not tapered, the topmast is.

Edited by LMDAVE29

Some more rigging shots. The thread size given for the dead eye lashing is slightly too thick. I'll leave it for the stays but may order some thinner for use on the shrouds later.

l-412281188.jpg

l-412281187.jpg

Started rigging up the  shrouds to the dead eyes (Or chump block as this kit likes to refer to it as). This is always my favorite part of a ship build, it's when it really brings it all together.

l-412288381.jpg

l-412295543.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

This is my first build which I started a few months back.

Once I got to the planking I was snapping more than I was able to bend and eventually stopped building out of frustration.

Started up again yesterday, but the bends are still driving me nuts.

I am going to get some elastic bands and see if your method is any easier, thanks.

I have no doubt this thread is going to be a huge help, so thanks for taking the time to create it.

Thanks, yeah definitely either steam the planks or even dip them in boiling water for about 5-10 seconds before bending them, they dry out fairly quickly. Never any drastic bends on dry pieces.

OK, well as soon as I finished one full set of shrouds (alternating pairs from port to starboard), my impatience jumped ahead to test rigging a few rungs of the ratlines the proper way. Past ships I cheated with glue for knots. But, did clove hitches this time. Take a little practice getting snug enough with no slack but leaving just the right sag.

l-412296845.jpg

I am working on the same build. This is the first ship I have done with sails and ratlines.

For some strange reason that I don't understand I really like doing them.

Seems like it makes the ship the ship.

You have done a great job on your ship, I am sure the rest will be just as good.

Joe

Progress on the ratlines. Its slow going but almost up there. A little tight with the clove hitches as you get up there.

412310300.jpg

412310299.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Its been a while since I gave an update on this. It's been a busy summer, and still tying clove hitches for the ratlines. I wanted to post this update picture to the log that I also posted in the general forum about displaying this ship. Some interesting ideas I got in that thread, and I'm working on for that. But, here's an update of the ratlines. Almost finished the main mast, and one more set to go after that.

l-412664478.jpg