San Francisco II by LMDAVE29 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:90

Looks great Dave, very impressive. Question on your jolly boat, did it come with a die cast version? And did you just paint it to make it look more realistic? I'm currently working on the same ship, and am at the stage where I need to start figuring out what to do with my die cast jolly boat...either plank over it, scratchbuild a whole new one, or just paint it. 

-Josh

Current Build:

Endurance - OcCre

Newport - Mamoli

Thanks. Yeah, with the die cast pieces that are meant to look like wood I've been painting them in two steps. First, a flat tan color that's a light wood tone. And after that I paint a wood stain over it with a small artist brush. Even though it's not the type of surface stain wants to see it will dry on it. But, you need to be careful afterwards. I've seen others create wood grain over plastic/die cast that looks great. They use the method of a basecoat like I do, Then a darker brown wash, and a then a black  dry brush brush for wood grain.  I just could never get great results doing that. But even with the stain method I used, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I believe for the jolly boat I used the steps with undercoat and brown paint washed over it, but for the anchor stock, I used the stain method. You can see it good in this picture.

l-412234686.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

Great explanation Dave, thanks for the answer. I'll keep that in mind for sure for next time. I just got done planking over it before I hopped on here and saw your reply. It's a great technique tho and probably a lot easier than the route I went with.

-Josh

Current Build:

Endurance - OcCre

Newport - Mamoli

Jumping to the yard arms, starting to strop the blocks to the main yard. I want the main sail to be half furled with a good sag look. I'm not sure how good it'll look with these pre-made sails that came with the kit, but as I get to that I'll see how it comes out.

l-412681818.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I've made an update. I've actually attached the first sail. The rigging was some mishaps. Some of my stropping wasn't as secure as I thought and some blocks popped out during adding tension. So, that makes it hard to make corrections on the spot, But, I was able to get it back enough to where it wasn't a disaster. Still need to make rope coils. Side note: I hate that anchor rope, any ideas how to give it a natural heavy sag?

412741106.jpg

412741107.jpg

412741108.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

Your rigging is coming along well. Nice work. It looks like you are having fun. :)

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

One little pet peeve I fixed was the deck ladders. The suggested pictures of the model all show the ladders being natural unfinished balsa wood color. I never did like that even though I went with it. I took them off and stained them, and like it much better for this vintage galleon. 

l-412779797.jpg

this is how they were before

l-412779801.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Added the foresail on this weekend. When trying to snug up all the rigging I didn't like the way the sail was being pulled, so I inserted some straight thin brass wire into the bottom hem, that allowed me to form the shape and pull the rigging tight without deforming the sail too much.

l-412837258.jpg

l-412837259.jpg

Thanks Paul. Yeah, sail making is skill that I had to learn on my first build. I feel spoiled having pre-made sails with this kit, but they aren't perfect. Mainly the hems of the sails too wide for the scale in my opinion. I actually invested in a sewing machine for my first build (MS Bluenose). Learn how to use it, and what attachment for hems, etc...It was an interesting experience but tedious. 

Hey this looks great. I found myself drooling over your rope coils on your belaying pin racks. That is some serious wow. Good work. Your rigging is very neat.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to finished up my display case for this one since I can see the end of the build coming.

l-412891607.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

Thanks guys, can't wait to see the ship in there.

Continuing on with the sails. The upper fore sail is installed and rigging mostly complete. Rope coils are starting to get crowded and there's more to add in.

l-412912936.jpg

l-412912938.jpg

l-412912935.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This will probably be some of my final updates, but wanted opinions on the mainsail. The kit depicts the main sail half-furled, and seen a couple of other completed models try it, I just don't see it as that natural looking with these particular sails, so I left the main fully down. I suppose some furl it to not left it hide deck details, but I feel you can see everything fine depending of your angle.

412955981.jpg

412955982.jpg

412955984.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

Well, I like to be as authentic as possible, but I was considering leaving the bowlines (the pulls) off. I have small brass wire inserted in the bottom of the sails to help with the curvature some, and I'm satisfied with the hang of them now, also the fact that I have already tied and snugged the running rigging for the 3 sails, I would have to redo it all because it would add too much slack having the bowlines pull it forward now. But everything else will be added.

Edited by LMDAVE29

A whole rack of rope coils for the main mast...still more to go. The final sail is in place, now final rigging, and remaining rope coils.

412970534.jpg

One part of the kit I was unsure about was the flags, but after looking at them and testing them in place. I do like the color and trim it adds to the overall. And the final picture of the pennant is hanging on another viking model, but that will go on the main mast when ready.

412970535.jpg

412970536.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE29

OK, finalized and published the final pics in the case. Here's a couple, the rest are in the complete ship gallery. Thanks for following this build.

412977287.jpg

412977288.jpg

Well done. Very nice finished model and a really fine presentation. Great work.

Russ