Admiral Vernon by philo426 - FINISHED - Steingraber

Your pictures are getting more clear and once you get that tuned in it will be nice to be able to zoom in and see the fine details. Just a thought on future builds for the shrouds. Serving the lines will not only make the lines bigger but will help to give them realism as this was customary.

This is a really nice book that was suggested here in MSW. The art of rigging a ship has changed very little over hundreds of years. You can find it on Amazon for only a few bucks.

post-17116-0-84942000-1445283488.jpeg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

This is your ship, Captain

Here on MSW you can find "The Art of Rigging" in *.pdf if you are interested

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Maybe to try to tide up a bit more?

BTW, interesting background

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

For future consideration, your shrouds should not be 'tied off' together under the platform.  The shrouds are actually done in pairs that loop around the mast above the platform.  You would do the forward pair on one side, then the forward pair on the other side, and work backwards.  You end up with a series of looped wraps around the mast, from alternating sides, which are then seized together (in the pairs only) below the platform.

Here is a photo example to show what I am talking about, although this ship has a simple trestle tree instead of a platform.  In your ship, that hole in the platform on each side of the masts is where the shrouds should be coming through I believe.

post-14925-0-82348400-1445444122_thumb.jpg

For the deadeyes and lanyards, you should consider trying to align them (the holes) like in my last post on the previous page of your log, and run the lanyards as shown there as well, I think those steps would sharpen up your final look considerably.

For future builds, consider building and rigging the masts in sections.  You build all the masts and dry fit them off the ship, but don't glue them together.  Then you put on the lower mast section, and put on all the shrouds and standing rigging before adding the platform so that you don't have to feed the shrouds up through that little hole, around the mast, and then back through it, and then try to seize the pairs in that tight space.  Continue up from there by adding the second mast section, adding the shrouds, then adding the 2nd mast platform, etc... 

When you've seen the picture, let me know and I'll delete it from this post so it's not cluttering up your log.

Take care,

Maybe usefull?

post-4738-0-23421700-1445459413_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Fragile structure .... Challenge

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hello Philo. This is too late, but I hope you take it into account for your next build.

I just noticed in the photo in your post #18 that the 3 planks that can be seen in the hull, have their butt ends aligned.

Butt ends should always be staggered, be it hull planks, deck planks or bricks on a wall. ;)

Here is a photo of a deck, but the same principle applies to a hull.

post-975-0-75334000-1446057979_thumb.jpg

Hope you find this useful.

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Philo, your ratlines came out even however they have a natural look.  On the real thing they were tarred.  You can darken them with a stain.

David B

Counter point - there is plenty of evidence, and many current replica's that do not have the ratlines tarred.  I'd go with whichever looks best to your eye.

When I was in San Diego, there were six ships with rope rat-lines.  Four of them were not darkened (Pilgrim, Exy Johnson, Irving Johnson, San Salvador), and one of them was (the Surprise).  I don't recall on the Californian, and didn't get any proper photo's to reference.

Here is a shot of the ratlines on the Pilgrim:

post-14925-0-92711300-1446083393_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of the ratlines on one of the Johnsons (they are basically identical sister-ships):

post-14925-0-39609100-1446083518_thumb.jpg

And the San Salvador:

post-14925-0-15222700-1446083835_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how good of an example the Surprise is of blackened lines, as they had a real mishmash of blackened and unblackened lines all over the place.  Like here you can see the blackened ratlines, but also both blackened and natural lanyards between the deadeyes.

post-14925-0-67291100-1446083929_thumb.jpg

So yea.  Do whatever makes you happy for the ratlines.  :)

They'd have to build/buy a new ship now, the Surprise is owned by the San Diego Maritime Museum.  Of course if the studio was willing to foot the bill for a full up re-build, I'm sure they would work something out, she needs lots of maintenance.