Wasa by kpnuts - Airfix - 1/144 - PLASTIC

My new one commissioned by my boss, the Airfix Wasa, I bought it off ebay and I've no idea how it was stored but its warped to hell, its been a real pig to get it together, didn't do it as per instructions as i could not get the deck atattched and level so glued the hull front together then when the glue set glued the rear the glued the deck a bit at a time using loads of masking tape to hold it till dry.

S13STb2.jpg

RdlriFR.jpg

BbQH5eg.jpg

tKbJsGu.jpg

72QUoIF.jpg

Broke lots of these bits on the top rails (whatever they are) so will have to make some new ones.

1JQ81wj.jpg

3rIdtYm.jpg

vl5WkIy.jpg

VxaDPGG.jpg

Hi all a little update, well after exhaustive research(20 mins on google pooped for the rest of the day now) the Airfix kit is a little wrong the little sticky up thing on the top of the rails do not exist(thats great as I thought I would have to make some of those as I broke some whists struggling to get the warped hull together, also there should be another gun port on the second tier down sternwards of the last on on the model, roughly where the little slot is on the kit, I may add it when I find out what purpose the slot is for also the ornamentation above the top rail dose not exist neither does the ornamentation between the rails. not tremendous problems so should be able to sort them.

These are the little sticky up things which I've now removed.

ypFK4IV.jpg

gnD8IT5.jpg

Tk25mIb.jpg

oELyzFZ.jpg

kC9JWAc.jpg

877DNnT.jpg

SQEshJ7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all Airfix missed a gun port on this so I've been racking my brains trying to think of a way of making one and I think I've got it.

first I covered on of them with bathroom sealant to make a mould then I tried to make a resin casting but it was so thin they kept breaking when I tried to get them out, so I thought I need something more flexible so being as how it was so thin I thought just acrylic paint, but that was too flexible and wouldnt come out of the mould so then I thought How can I stiffen it up a bit so I put a thin smear of superglue over it, hey presto it came out, here is the result, I may make another mould and try again as this is a bit chunky probably because of the number of times ive tried using it but at least I know it works.

eIbLLth.jpg

Y3KXVLJ.jpg

zBMOrmx.jpg

r23AAH2.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi all well here's one I shelved back in 2015 (can't remember why) Airfix goth the colour totally wrong they would have you paint it blue and gold (other than the transom theres very little gold on her, although she is very colourful mainly red though and vert little blue) ( actually i love the airfix colour scheme but that was not right) other than a few few small things it's a great little kit. it's been resurrected I've redone the woodwork, I figure if the Hermann Marwede is going to be in a seascape i may as well tag this one in with it.

2ikci08.jpg

n3tfkl.jpg

53nxfo.jpg

Awww  this kit,  I have built this one  but about 50 years ago when I was a kid,  I built most of the Airfix kist back then.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi,

Airfix went with the colour scheme as suggested by the salvage team at the time. Blue was still shown as the colours of the ship in their museum guides till very recently so Airfix thought they had it right. I built this twice over the years and both times all the research and books illustrated her as being majority blue.

The little sticky uppy things are the tops of the Kevels that Airfix moulded into the rails rather than putting inside the bulwark. These would have been used for the rigging so you may need them if doing full sail rig. 

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great.

Once finshed it will be a beautiful diorama.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

boy!.....you picked back up on this one and ran with it.......didn't you??!?!?!  :)     looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice kit great job. Like the water effect.

Like the search and rescue vessel as well. I have built the Revell version of the same vessel.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

nice progress KP.......do you have more to add on the deck?   the rigging might hinder it going further.   doing the gammoning on the bow spirit will take up the slack on the stays.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, kpnuts said:

Hi Paul that is the very same kit that will be in a seascape as well when I decide what the disaster will be.

Look forward to seeing that when you get round to it.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

kpnuts I am getting ready to start the build of this Airfix model. I looked through the MSW index and it looks as if you are the only listed builder of the 1/144 Airfix. Numerous builders of other brands. Per chance you see this a couple years after you completed your build, is there any advice you care to share?  I am really looking forward to the small scale painting on the stern. Looking at all your photos and many more I am finding on line to try to get a clear color scheme. I find your ocean simulation very realistic. How did you do it?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks great! and love the seascape scene also. Always wanted to build this one and may have to start searching. Thanks for sharing your progress and really enjoy all your builds.

Michael D.

Hi Bill I forgot about this build (its probably in a bin somewhere)

I used clear bathroom sealant for the sea, its actually a very accurate kit for its time (ok they got the colours completely wrong) that said i really like the blue and gold colour scheme.

There are a couple of things wrong with the kit (its missing a couple of cannon placements and if I remember correctly some of the transom detail is wrong. As a kit it goes together quite well the detail is not that clear on the moldings but for kit of its age and price at the time I think airfix did a Stirling job.