18th Century Longboat by PAnderson - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Paul, sell of some of your plastic kits, then you can get more tools or another wooden kit.... ;)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Paul

In post #6 you asked how to apply "wipe on poly" to the interior of the boat with all the ribs in place. How did you finally apply the poly? BTW beautiful build.

regards

J

I didn't. I only did the outside. This being my first time using wipe on poly, I didn't know what would happen if I used a brush. I only did the outside. The interior is just cherry stain.

Paul

I didn't. I only did the outside. This being my first time using wipe on poly, I didn't know what would happen if I used a brush. I only did the outside. The interior is just cherry stain.

Paul

I've applied wipe on poly with a brush in several locations in the AVS.  No issues at all.  It will take longer to dry as you aren't able to wipe it out into a thin finish and work it into the wood like wiping with a rag, but it will soak in and I saw no problems with it.

It was with a heavy heart that I decided to switch the type of models I built. I don't relish selling all of my stash. In most ways I build for the sake of building and working with my brain and my hands. I was always interested in working with wood and that is why I have a small shop in addition or in conjunction with model building. But model building has kind of taken control, LOL. I'm sure most of you know how that feels. But I am a huge WW2 history buff also. I have built the 1/200 USS Arizona and am part way through the 1/200 USS Missouri. And if anyone here has seen any of the Wingnut Wings kits of WW1 aircraft (I have 14), you may know what I am talking about. But I was always fearful of a big rigging job. Years ago I built the AL Swift and gifted it to my brother and his new wife. It is still on his mantle. I realized that wood ship kits come in all sizes and types and I don't really have to build rigged ships. This is why the admiralty models really peak my interest. But it's also not fair to say I will never do a rigging job. You never know until you try. Right?

Thanks,

Paul

Hello again. I appreciate all the comments and advice. This build has been a great little challenge and she is officially finished. As for my next build, I will decide for sure by the end of the year. I am leaning towards a much more challenging build such as the USF Confederacy and may very well start two at once just to break up some of the challenges involved.

Here are the last of the pics involved in this beautiful little boat. Thanks to everyone and especially Chuck for designing this. It was just challenging enough to tell me this is what I want to do for the foreseeable future. I am sure I will build plastic again but I was getting burned out on it after so long.

Thanks,

Paul

post-719-0-87342200-1449839371_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-15178500-1449839373_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-82815300-1449839374_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-45467500-1449839376_thumb.jpg

Paul,

Congratulations on completing your Longboat.  You did an excellent job on building this model.  I am looking forward to seeing your next build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat