Bounty by Gentlegiant - Artesania Latina

I use both oil based and water based depending on what i am varnishing. The oil based seems to soak into the wood a bit better but even when using clear oil varnish it still stains the wood slightly. The water based seems to leave the colour of the wood almost the same as it was before varnishing, and to help it soak into the wood i water it down slightly. But it is all a personal preference on how you want the finish to turn out. I tend to only use matt varnish as naturall wood doesn't shine. Remember though once you varnish it the normal wood glues will not be as effective as they are on bare wood

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  So apply whatever finish you think looks good :)  

Personally, I like Teak Oil on the darker woods...it gives a rich look with no shine.  I seal almost everything with a water based matte polyurethane finish (again no shine).

I would highly recommend you do some testing with finishes you like on spare pieces of wood  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

The symbol Ø represent the drill bit diameter for making the hole.

If part 46 and 47 are to installed then yes, those should be installed, use part 47 to line up the holes.

Guessing part 46 is the rudder stock. Drill that hole in sequences starting with smaller drills going up to 6mm.

Your Bounty is coming along nicely.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

GentleGiant,

Use medium CA (15-25 sec.) to glue the cleats to wood.

This will give you the best result, when it comes to CA glue "Less is More", an activator helps to strengthen and shorten the time.

In general you when gluing metal to metal/wood/plastic or in any combination, CA is the best applicator.

Good luck

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

In part 51 is this the good part?

GentleGiant,

Look at the parts list and explain the material to us, but to me it looks like a drum piece made out of brass.

This will help us unless someone else has the list and will be able to give a direct explanation.

Good luck

Respectfully

Do you paint or varnish the Blocks around the Steering Wheel ???

And how do you fix the block at the pin ( brass wire or cotton thread)

Thank You Gentle

Edited by Gentlegiant

Painting or varnishing the blocks is all a matter of choice, you do what you feel looks best. The blocks in the instructions are fitted with brass wire but again you can use some thin rigging cord if you want :)

very nice progress GG,

your deck fitting out looks great....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi GG,

I do`nt know if this is historicly wise correct, but this is how I did it (Boat lashing)

Hope it can be of help to you, if you like....

Nils

post-3445-0-64589800-1452702381_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-20632900-1452702377_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-87521200-1452702658_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-02639300-1452702380_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

GG,

I`m not sure if I understand what you mean, I presume you only have two double-sheave blocks and would like to tackle these correctly.

Here is an enclosed little handscetch showing in detail how you can do it......

You may have to strop the blocks accordingly. Watch for the position of the sheave holes

Nils

post-3445-0-78944000-1452707501_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

One of the many reasons I don't use superglue or CA is that a tiny drop spreads into a large area. My feeling is that you did overuse the glue. To fix knots use flat lacquer varnish or diluted white glue. They don't spread and make your lines stiff, do not make the lines brittle and do not leave a shiny spot,. All this things CA does. In any case, if you must use CA try to use a gel or a thicker one.

Hope this helps.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

If you have to use CA, make an applicator.  I take very small diameter length of music wire (get at local hobby shop).  Then I bend tiny bit of the end, say 1/16",  back on itself, say 180 degrees, to form a very small "spoon".  I place a tiny drop of CA on wax paper and use this applicator to grab an even tinier drop.  You can then just touch this applicator to the knot and the very tiny drop will wick into the knot.  Even using cotton thread, the CA rarely wicks beyond the knot.

If you are using the applicator in quick succession, tap it the wax paper between picking up CA.  This will prevent dried CA from building on the music wire.

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

Or you can take a needle and file or cut half of the eye. Different needle sizes will give you a variety of tools for a wide range of applications.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!