Jim Byrnes Model Machines

Meredith, have your purchased any book on using the table saw? If not, it may get you past the shyness of using the saw. One of the first things IMO is use it only when you can give it your full attention as with any power tool, always thinking about where your hands are.

I don’t know if Woodsmith’s books are available to you down there but if so you may want to check for one of their new releases titled Ultimate Table Saw Handbook. Reasonably priced in the states. Anyway, check some of your book sellers and purchase one. Most have good information including the making of jigs to use with the table saw that you will reference many times. You’ll just scale some of these down for the 4” Byrnes. :)

All the best.

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Yes I got myself some books on table saws...And I think one might be the one you suggested. I just have to get on with it.. with no audience :) My partner is going off bushwalking tomorrow - so home alone - might be a good time to break the ice (and keep all fingers intact).

Silly thing is I use all sorts of BIG machinery and tools at work - I really don't know why I am procrastinating with this!

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Thats great. OK, so up here we may say you've made it to first and the fun is about to begin. Interesting what you said about using large power equipment. Have had no issues with what we would call large power machines but did the worst damage with a very sharp woodcarving knife. I chuckle about it now  but then the blood did fly. Didn't do any permanent damage but it sure slowed my learning process for a bit of time. :)  

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Just make sure you use a push stick so that fingers and blade have proper separation.

I would be glad to help in anyway I can. It is hard for me to relate to your uncertainty. I have been playing with table saws since I was in my teens.

I will suggest one thing. Stand slightly to the side when cutting. This way if you have something kick back it can fly across the room and not into you. When I first got my Jim saw. I was so excited I could not wait for the first cut. So I took it out to my workshop set it up. Yes I waxed the table top. And then I set about cutting a plank or 2. Out of reflex without thinking I stood to the side as I made my first cut. It was a good thing I did. Because my first plank got caught by the blade and flew across the room. It made contact with the widow and broke the inside pane of glass! Nice arrow! I am very glad that was not my chest.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Meredith,

One last thing. If you go to the HobbyMill website you will find an excellent article about using Jim’s saw which is used by the HobbyMill owner to cut timber orders they receive. Here’s the URL. Make sure to read through it. I’ll be referencing it more as I setup my workstation for the JimSaw.

http://www.hobbymillusa.com/byrnes-saw-operation.php

Though you weekend is already half over have a good one.

CUL

Work in Progress -

I decided to post my question yesterday instead of waiting for the start of the work week and when I arrived home yesterday evening there was a reply from Jim. What great customer service. These folks are undoubtedly the Gold Standard of product and customer service.

Thank you very much Jim and Donna.

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Ok..... I HAVE done it!!!!!!

Got home from work tonight - not very much time to play - but I decided I cannot put it off any longer. And if I make something quick for dinner - no-one will miss a thing :) - I get home about 40 minutes before my partner as I start earlier.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... I did some more reading... made sure I had good lighting... and I cut my first bit of wood!

I then decided I had to change the blade for the one that will probably be the most used.....

Found the right tools.... (not so easy when we work metric and USA is imperial) AND it was pretty dark in the shed for searching.

I have now inserted the new blade AND cut the zero tolerance - I was a bit tentative with that!

But its done.. and I have now cut my very first plank - 3mm wide and according to the verniers - its pretty consistent.

So I have the grand total of ONE plank :) - and I have overcome my silly trepidation.

Just so silly.. I re-machined a 2.5 tonne valve face today - and that's nothing.. but a 4" table saw...GEEZ... I knew as soon as I cut that zero tolerance plate I would be fine.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Sure do... its probably a little bit big - perfect for a full size saw - I actually purchased it. It didn't look anywhere near as big on the computer screen :). So I think I will make a few others of different sizes/shapes.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Ok..... I HAVE done it!!!!!!

Good show.

Now I've yet to cut anything. :)  But do have a block made as suggested in the HobbyMill article and will now make a few push sticks also as soon as I locate my thin plywood.

Work in Progress -

Hey well done Meredith; the first is always the hardest in anything new you try when attempting something out of your comfort zone (please, I mean this sincerely, I am in no way intending any condescending comment here) - You will be producing copious amounts of your own scratch made planks and ropes now; what's next - carving :)  That's still one art/skill I haven't generated sufficient 'nerve' to attempt yet :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I feel so much better now Pat. I just needed to take that first jump.

I woul LOVE to try carving - But realistically I think I would suck at it :)

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

• 1 month later...

Hello

A small comment on the versitility of the Byrnes table saw. (warning: hardly ship related however tells a lot about the capacity of this saw)

I have just finished installing a new laminate floor in my  kitchen and dining area of the house and the Byrnes saw was used to cut some pieces of the floor planks with no problems, but the saw really came to it´s right when cutting the lists along the wall and precise 45 degree angles around the staircase.

This is my absolute favorite tool in and outside my shop

Cheers

Erik

Erik, thanks for that idea, maybe this saw can be part of tools to pass for the new flooring in our house as well. :P

Then after that hmm, sell it? not for a second, modelling!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 1 month later...

Another big thanks to Jim and Donna. As impressive as their machines are their customer service is the best too.

May they prosper for many years to come.

Work in Progress -

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone needed to change the belts of their Byrnes Ropewalk? Mine are developing some ugly cracks already. I ordered a new set, but have no idea how to change them, and I don't want to run the risk of damaging this expensive machine by doing something wrong.

Thank you.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Ulysses

I don't have one in front of me so I'll have to wing it.  I'll check it tomorrow just to make sure.

1,  slide the drive belt off the motor pulley.

2,  remove the rear large hand wheel with a 5/64 hex key,  don't loose the bronze spacer. 

3,  slide the head assembly out of the pedestal and place it on the bench.

4,  remove the old drive belt.

5,  remove the 3 Phillips head screws that hold the 2 halves of the head together,  the spacers will come out also.

6,  holding the back plate tap the end of the center shaft on the bench until it separates from the front plate.  If the pulleys and bearings get hung up on the  back plate work them off carefully.  Its not really as delicate as it looks just be careful not to bend the whirls.  Slide the rear plate off the shaft.  If the whirl bearings stayed in the back plate remove them and put them back on the whirl shafts.

7,  change the 2 head belts.

8,  slide the back plate back on with the large bearing in it until it hits the whirl bearings.  Pick up the assembly and wiggle the 2 plates until the bearings seat.  Once the bearings seat slide the Phillips head screws through the front plate and spacers and snug all 3. 

9,  Lay the new drive belt over the shaft and slide the head assembly back through the pedestal,  don't forget the bronze spacer,  tighten the large hand wheel.  Tighten the 3 Phillips head screws.

10, Spin the assembly by hand,  check for binding.

11,  slide the drive belt back on the pulley and rear plate

12,  Good to go?

Jim  

Thank you Jim. I have to say that changing the belts made a world of difference in the performing of the machine. The cracked belt made the head turn in an uneven form, and thus my ropes were coming a bit lumpy. Thanks again.

Back to make ropes! :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Jim - I just had a wonderful chat with Donna on the phone. She says that you completely agree with her when she says she is the boss and you have to work harder. From the experience of 30 yrs of marriage. All I can say is you are a wise man. :)

She also says that you are working on an idea so that there is something else you make that I can buy. Please give us a hint.

As the proud owner (in partnership with my local club) of at least 1 of everything you sell (and a couple you don't). I eagerly look forward to adding to my collection.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Hi folks

Jim - I just had a wonderful chat with Donna on the phone. She says that you completely agree with her when she says she is the boss and you have to work harder. From the experience of 30 yrs of marriage. All I can say is you are a wise man. :)

She also says that you are working on an idea so that there is something else you make that I can buy. Please give us a hint.

As the proud owner (in partnership with my local club) of at least 1 of everything you sell (and a couple you don't). I eagerly look forward to adding to my collection.

Hi Folks and hi Floyd !

Sounds like there is a new item in the offing and i would like to get my hands on it too so please pass on any info

you may have so i as a sellf confessed Toolaholic  can get my fix

D ;) ve

Te He He, Jim I guess I started something! :P:D

"No lathes or mills"?

Darn....

Jim, I just ordered your thickness sander, I think Donna is shipping it this week.  Can't wait to try it out!

I either want your saw or a mill next, I keep flip-flopping on which one to get.

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

I decided I want to rip some Top and Butt planking for my project and was thinking about how to do this on the Byrnes saw when the penny dropped. :) Wanting to do this with precision so off I went to Model Machines and ordered the Rip Angle jig. Received an e-mail from Donna yesterday that Jim had shipped the jig and should receive it tomorrow. Again, great service.

So, today I‘ll draw up my planks in scale so I’ll be ready to start cutting those Top and Butts tomorrow.

That Jim Saw is one sweet piece of machinery!

P.S. As an idea for Model Machines, how about miniature hold-down clamps that we may use for making jigs for the saw? Maybe using all thread and wing nuts or small machine screws as opposed to T-track bolts.

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Brian - I am the proud owner of a Jim Byrnes feather board. and I got it for the price of shipping!!

I also want to comment again on customer service - I just ordered another blade for my saw last week. Donna (alias the "Boss") sent me a note. she knew I was going to be out of town and offered to hold my order so that it was not sitting on my porch until I get home. As soon as Jim comes up with another tool. I am sure I will be standing in line to purchase it.