Jim Byrnes Model Machines

Well I guess I am being unfair. I set you up so I could tell another story about Jim & Donna's customer service. A few years ago when my Jim Table Saw was new. I was bragging to a family member about what a wonderful tools it was. So for Xmas that year I received a feather board from that family member. But they had ordered it from MicroMark. It was for the Proxxon Saw. I sent Jim a note explaining my situation. He replied that if I would send the feather board to him and pay shipping both ways he would adapt it to the Model Machines Saw. So I have a one of a kind Feather Board.

Thanks Jim!

PS The family member who gave it as a gift is very proud to see me use it and has no idea these details.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I always have a few ideas on the drawing board,  some closer to actual metal cutting than others.  Is there anything in particular you guys  would like to see in the near future?  No lathes or mills please.

Jim Byrnes

Model Machines

Jim why don't you post some of your ideas from the drawing board here, as a survey and get votes for the most wanted....this may help stir up some new ideas and give you a better idea of what the market wants (just an idea)

PS...a very happy customer of the Table Saw, Thickness Sander and Drawplate

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

I vote for the OSS with option of tilt. I also vote for the manual seizing machine.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Jim,

We all know anything you make would be better without a doubt. The band saw would be a big improvement over what is on the market for ship builders, something to think about. The ones out there all have different problems. If you go on Amazon and look at the reviews you will understand what I am talking about. You are right about the scroll saw there are a bunch that are top notch, but Band Saw there isn't really any for us. Just my option. 

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Jim,

I'm going to cast another vote for the Oscillating spindle sander with tilting table. I have a Rigid brand which is serviceable but it is a monster size wise.

For me the perfect unit would be small in size, have a motor that does not bog down in routine model making activities (not talking about sanding 2" rock maple), has a removable pivot pin in the table surface, use off the shelf sanding drums and possibly be variable speed.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Hi Jim B,

I have the same as Jim L and agree100%  I also would buy your's, when you finish making it, tomorrow! ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Jim, in addition to the OSSs, I know there will be many who'd buy a serving machine. Features like being able to lock in position both the line being served and the serving line feed would be nice--this would keep tension on both lines while freeing one's hands to tie off, glue, cut or etc. a finished line that's been served. Having hook attachments for seizing blocks would be great. A tensioned feed system for the serving line would be another nice feature (would work well with a locking setup). Having one end be moveable would be great, too; then one could move it toward the other end for seizing blocks or etc. Many machines require wrapping the running end of the line being served around crank spindles or etc.--a spool to hold and secure the running line would likely be a nicer alternative and keep line out of gears and etc.

OK I'll shut up... :)

Jay

Current Build:

My preference would be for a serving machine.  The reason for this is that I already own an OSS and even though it is designed for macro-carpentry I would be hard-pressed justifying a replacement.  I guess that's the same reason I still use an ancient Dremel table saw with an Accurizer!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Count me in for an OSS (with tilt option). I already own the table saw, disc sander and draw plate, and will shortly be ordering a thickness sander. The rope walk is also on my "to-buy" list. I'd order an OSS from Jim the moment it was available (so you'd better be making it with a 240v motor option! :P )

OK, I have a basic question from one still learning.

What would you use an OSS for in ship modeling?

Thanks

Richard T.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Brian,

I guess I was not sure how much the "oscillating" helps. I have a dremel shaper table, with a sanding attachment on the dremel, and it is helpful to keep both hands on the work. But, being Dremel, it is kind of small and is not the easiest to work with.

I was considering something larger and more stable, but had not thought of the oscillating function. It just did not occur to me.

Richard T.

Richard

It is a lot different when you use a "Spindle Sander". The up and down motion and sanding at the same time takes off a heck of a lot of wood and fast. Just my option. I bought mine at "Harborfrieght" which is a Chinese version but it does the job. But like Brian said it is a toy.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Also to add to the benefits of the OSS; in most cases the spindle is normal to the table therfore giving you a perpendicular "cut" on your workpiece which is harder to acheive with a dremel tool, at least in my opinion. If you add a tilt option to the table you can also achieve fairly consistent angles.

The "up and down" motion of the spindle also adds a second degree of cutting direction, where the dremel just rotates about its own axis, the OSS not only "cuts" about its axis, it also "cuts" the length of its stroke, i think the biggest advantage to this added motion is the sanding drum will not get as hot and burn the workpiece as if you (or at least i) see with the dremel.

Obviously both machines have there place, personally i couldnt live without the dremel, but it sure is nice to clean up frames with an OSS and have the edges square and sharp.

Brad

So, if I understand correctly, the purpose of the oscillating motion is increase the speed of wood removal?

If that's the case, I would probably would vote for a motorized rope walk.

The next tool that I am considering is the table saw. I am considering trying my hand at scratch building after I gain a little more experience, and given the cost of planking, etc.

Richard T.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

And again thank you for everything.

My Brynes saw is producing excellent quality timber and I hope you have a Quality birthday.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Happy Birthday Jim! Thanks for everything you do!