Jim Byrnes Model Machines

Yes, Jim's machines are great and the service is excellent and blah blah blah but...I want a Byrnes featherboard v.1 too!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I promised Jim I wouldn't say that I have one. oops. :D

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd,

you devil you :)

could you show us a couple of pictures, perhaps with a ruler for scale.

If I cant buy one, perhaps I can reproduce it. Just not sure how thick, long and wide it would be. Also, would help to see how you attach it to the table and fence?

Thanks

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Ok Richard Let me explain. Several years ago after I had bought the Byrnes Table saw. A relative bought me the feather board for Microlux as a Xmas gift. Of course it didn't fit. I sent Jim a note about my problem and he offered to custom adapt my feather board to his saw. So for the cost of postage. I sent it to him and he shipped back the result as part of his next order from me. I will dig it up and add pictures later.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Featherboard featherboard featherboard featherboard featherboard........

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

A feather board would be easy.  But I think making the Byrnes saw with a tilting arbor would take away what to me is one of the most important features.  A permanantly aligned 90 degree to table blade.  I could be wrong though.

David B

Isn't that the reason there is a tilt table upgrade? you still get the precision of a solid 90 degrees. I have enjoyed using my tilt table.

concerning feather boards,

They should not be too hard to make. Given the dimensions we work with (as thin as 1/16th" and 12 or 24 inches long), I wonder what the dimensions of the feather board could be.

Also, with something that thin, what material could be cut thinner then 1/16 and still be functional?

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard

My Byrnes disc sander has arrived. I can't believe the size of the motor on this thing. To put it in perspective, my Sherline 4410 lathe arrived at the same time. The motor on the Byrnes is larger than the Sherline!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

• 2 weeks later...

Byrnes thickness sander:

I have acquired such one, and tried it out for the first time today.

Since I don't have a proper workshop I did it outside in the nice weather.

Now joining the chorale for the amazing machines of Byrnes.

My hat off to  Donna and Jim.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Just ordered my table saw from Jim and Donna.belated birthday present to me!!!

Any advice on initial set up would be greatly appreciated. Should arrive in dear old blighty in the next week or so. Can't wait....better than Christmas!!!

I would love Jim to market an oscilating spindle sander.standard commercial stuff is too big and noisy.

Cheers...mick

Mick,

congratulations, its a great gift.  My wife bought me one for my birthday.

The HobbyMill has a tab with a great write up about how he uses the saw, including the blade sizes and how he applies them.

www.hobbymillusa.com/byrnes-saw-operation.php

There are also a few threads that provide advice here on MSW. I believe they are in the tools and/or wood sections. 

Richard

Richard

Thanks Richard

I will have a look at the hobbymill site. The gift was fro m me to me!!! Being a singleton I don't have to get the admirals permission. Looking forward to cutting some wood!!! Already brought Jim's draw plate some time ago. Will be saving some pennies for his thicknesses at some point.

Cheers.....mick

Mick,

Thats another Byrnes saw in the UK. You have joined the Enlightened Ones!

Good luck,

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Mick,

You will not be disappointed.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I just received mine in the mail today. It will be a few days before I have a chance to set it up, but I am so happy to have it.It does feel like Christmas.

Mick,

Happy Birthday! Be prepared to fall in love with this machine! His disc sander is also a wonderful piece of machinery and well worth the investment.

So, I had a chance to get hand on a thickness sander type Model Byrnes, I have never had such a machine before.

As I don't have a shop vac or a proper work shop I have done the little sanding outside when it's been nice weather.

This machine, is amazing!

It's quiet, the adjustment tolerance in the 10th of millimeter. Even on an unstable table the machine didn't "walk" due to the small vibrations.

It's a very well balanced.

I just hope to get the table saw some day.

Jim and Donna, I thank you both for a true quality machine which is going to last me many years to come! :piratebo5:

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Once you get a vacuum hooked up it will run even better.  Does not have to be a shop vac.  I have a small Shark canister.  I have to change the bag more often but the people upstairs are not breakng down my door.

David B

Okay Per, now you did it.  I'm going to have to get one of THOSE too.  <sigh>

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to collect a few delays, and I want to buy Byrnes Thickness Sander.

I have a question for Mr. jim.

? Could also make their machines with measurements in millimeters?

I would like a lot.

greetings from Seville (Spain)

cabrapente

Edited by cabrapente

Chuck S - I am now the proud owner of all of Jim's machines. At one point I wasn't sure I had a use for the Thickness Sander. Now I wonder what that was like. I use it quite a lot.

Cabrapente - The thickness sander has an adjustment wheel that is very easy to use. It is marked off in tick marks and I don't know if these marks are separated in English or metric distances. When I am using the tool. All I do is insert the wood piece I am sanding and adjust the wheel until the wood is snug. I then pass the wood thru the sander. Then I tighten the adjustment by a couple of tick marks and pass the wood again. I then use my micrometer to measure the thickness. If I don't have the desired thickness I tighten and pass it thru again. It is pretty straight forward.

Does the thickness sander work with individual strips or do you need to size them as sheets and then cut to strips?

Richard

Richard

Richard,

It works both for sheets and strips, don't think it will work with sheets wider than 2 3/4".

Respectfully

I agree with Per. I have sanded 3" wide sheets, but it doesn't quite work.