Jim Byrnes Model Machines

:dancetl6: Thanks mtaylor....exactly the info I was looking for.

By the way, my little lady said "yes, as long as it doesn't cost thousands!"   I think I can get one for somewhat less.   :dancetl6:

Edited by BarryWW

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Congratulations Barry!

My wife is giving me the saw for Christmas!  It already arrived and she allowed me to open.  I convinced her that I needed check everything and fire it up. :D Then I had to box it back up until the holiday. :rolleyes:  I guess I can wait.

The saw is even better than I imagined.  The motor is quiet and the saw has no vibration!

Have fun!

Marc

That's what I thought when I fired it up.  The blade cutting wood actually makes more noise, and my vacuum hooked to it, drowns them both out.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Pretty fast.  I think that it was only 2 to 3 weeks.  May take longer the closer you get to Christmas ;) However long it is, the saw is worth the wait!

Jim even mounted the micrometer and miter guide extension for me.  Their attention to detail and customer service is great!

Well, I got off the fence and ordered the Byrnes table saw with the standard micrometer, extended rip fence, miter gauge extension, spare belt, four Thurston 3" blades, 4 zero-clearance inserts, and the little bag of extra miter pins and screws.  I used the advice and link given above for the Hobbymill site to help decide which blades to get.  I'm so glad I ordered the Cutter Cheerful boxwood package in sheets.  My mahogany is all sheet goods as well.  Now I'll have something to cut it....very excited indeed!  I feel all warm and fuzzy.  

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

I need some help.

My modeling career has been in fits and starts but I have ended up with an unused Byrnes Thickness Sander and an unused Byrnes 4” table saw, purchased about 10-12 years ago. While I intend to continue to be as active as possible, the writing is on the wall. I am slowing down and because of that I am restarting ship modeling. I got the machines out of storage but have lost all paper work/instructions that may have come with it. These are unused machines so I have no memories to rely on and I have questions.

Thickness Sander

It seems fairly straight forward since there are no accessories. I assume the wood is fed through

in a consistent manner until you get the dimension you are after. Are there any cautions I should be aware of?

Table Saw

I searched various forums and discovered that I have an "early design" saw. The switch is behind the motor not on the front of the saw and I have no vacuum port. That caused me to wonder if the currently available accessories would fit my saw or are there other changes that I haven’t noticed?

I can’t figure out how to change the blades on this. It seems to require different steps than the new version.

I was going to order an extended fence but it is possible that I already have one. Mine is .75-1.0 inches high (not near the saw as I write this). Is that the extended fence or is there a higher one? Or a longer one?

I am sure there will be more questions and I appreciate any help or advice.

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King

John,

I suggest you contact Jim Byrnes directly with your questions, either through his website or PM from here as he is a member here. Then again, he may see your post and respond directly anyway. Good luck with re-starting your modelling career - you have some mighty fine tools to help you get going!

JohnLea, the "regular" fence on the new Byrnes saw is just 1/8" high. The extension fence add-on makes the total fence height around an inch apparently.  So your fence appears to be as high as the new extension fence.  I'd like to see a photo of your machine.  Can you post one?  I'd like to see what the first saws looked like and the differences.

Edited by BarryWW

Thanks.  I  sent an email to the company through their website on Monday, (possibly Tuesday) of this week.  I know how difficult it is to run a small company and a cold or vacation can cause severe interruptions.  Since I am not the patient type, I though I would ask one and all. 

Although I am not in a rush, all things considered.

I don't know much about woodworking etc., but I do remember being impressed when I received them years ago and again when I brought them into my work area last week.

I'd like to see a photo of your machine.  Can you post one?  I'd like to see what the first saws looked like and the differences.

Thanks. I missed this yesterday and will take a picture of the saw and try to post it. They are very similar and I didn't realize there was a difference until I tired to make a vacuum hook up for it. I am guessing all of the new gizmos will

work on the older saw.

I heard from Jim Byrnes. I do have the extended fence and the current accessories will fit my saw.

I found some old reviews that address changing the blades but haven't tried yet.

Pictures (poor ones) below (I hope.). Hmmm. I guess not.

Ok.  Read and reread the instructions.  These aren't good photos.  If you would like me to focus on a particular area, let me know.

post-563-0-81132200-1448283649_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-70394000-1448283668_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-46020900-1448283696_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-34503200-1448283723_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnLea

Other than the dust chute I can't see many differences. The blade cover assembly is a little different, but he didn't change much over the years. Guess he got it mostly right the first time. The biggest difference is you have one and I'm still awaiting delivery. Thanks.

Jim doesn't keep an inventory of tools there. They're all made when the order is placed.  Shouldn't take much more than a couple weeks though.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

I have been using Jim's tools for almost ten years with two very minor problems that were handled promptly and at no cost to me, so of course I had planned to write about yet another happy happy happy story of the legendary Model Machines Customer Service facility in Orlando, Florida.

Then it dawned on me......... why do people keep writing about all the good experiences they encountered when dealing with Jim Byrnes?  Why don't we ever hear about all the BAD things about his products and his service?  My guess is that is a testimony all by itself.  To all of the satisfied customers like myself, all I can say is..... enjoy.

Jim

Well, if you want to hear something bad about Jim Byrnes, I will tell you that postage to Australia is almost 1/3 the purchase price of the product itself. This is not Jim's fault though ... it's US Post.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Keith

I feel for you guys, you should see my UPS bill, it runs about 4-5 grand a month.  UPS just put in another increase on January 1 so it's not getting any better. Fed EX is worse and USPS is out of the question for overseas stuff.  They don't stand behind their service. 

Jim  

Well, if you want to hear something bad about Jim Byrnes, I will tell you that postage to Australia is almost 1/3 the purchase price of the product itself. This is not Jim's fault though ... it's US Post.

And then you can add the currency exchange rate as well. When I bought my Byrnes tools a couple of years ago, the Australian dollar was at parity or slightly better against the Greenback - in fact it was about US $1.05. I knew that situation wouldn't last so I went ahead and bought a LOT of stuff from O/S at the time (including my Sherline stuff as well). I'm so glad I did as the Australian dollar is now trading at around US $0.70 - that actually represents a further 50% to the price for us, including on the already exorbitant postage rates!!! The worst part is, I can't see any change in the exchange rate coming in the near future - at least not in a favourable direction for us.

Okay, rant over. I'll get my coat and leave now.....

Edited by gjdale