HMB Endeavour by ca.shipwright - Corel - 1:60

Dave,

Found your log. Must have been a severe senior moment.

If I hadn't ran a dowel through the deck and down to the center keel just for the heck of it, I would have been in a world of difficulty because the dowel lie directly against the center keel at the proper angle. Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good>

I am going to cut off that much of the center keel which is equal to the AOS rudder stern post by using a traced pattern. I am going to make the stern post out of laminated 4mm sq. walnut which is what the forward edge of the rudder will be. I am going to thin the center keel for about an in and a half forward of the rudder stern post to provide the rabbet for the 2 layers of planking.

I hope this will end this part of the construction and allow be to carry on with the lower planking.

Regards to all

Michael

HMB Endeavour was 81 feet according to AOS, Does anyone know how this was measured? I've heard the term between the perpendiculars. What are they and do they apply to an HMB as opposed to an HMS?

Edited by ca.shipwright

Michael,

As the "Earl of Pembroke":  81' 3/8" was the length of the keel for tonnage.

This is recorded in Ray Parkin's book "H.M. Bark Endeavour"

Also noted:   Length of the lower deck from the after side of the rabbit of the stem to the foreside of the rabbit of the post:  97' 7"

Hope that helps.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Thanks Dave,

The center keel of the Corel kit measured from the turn to flat at the bow is 88 feet scaled, I guess I'll build the stretch version.

Michael,

I have found the Corel Kit, well let's say has many differences to AOTS(by K.M.)

I've bashed my Endeavour to look as much as I can to the AOTS.

The Corel plans and notes, I don't look at them.

Dave R 

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

You are too kind and politically correct. They might want to rename the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos of the first planking. As you can see, there is wood filler all over the second band. I find it useful to fill and sand as each band is completed. I get an earlier idea as to how the hull shape is developing and it allows for earlier correction of defects before they get out of hand.

Up to now, the tapering of the planks have been done by eye. Happily they have come out quite good. The symmetry of the hull is almost perfect.

post-1692-0-85735100-1447110758_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-58401500-1447110862_thumb.jpg

Edited by ca.shipwright

Some information for my planking.

I hope as written it is not to confusing.

Endeavour splining.pdf

Edited by ca.shipwright

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I posted in my own log. It seems that all the interesting stuff is happening else-ware and so are my posts.

I finally finished the first planking, filled the defects, sanded, filled the defects, sanded.....Then looking at AOS and the hull back and forth I found that the light ports were misplaced on the hull, Corrected this and filled and sanded. Seems that is my theme song. I am very well satisfied with the shape and fairness of the hull. It is nicely symmetrical port and starboard, the sheer is very good. It does have a slight twist in the stern. Hopefully when all is said and done this won't be so obvious. She does list a bit in the build board- just alittle loose

I liked the idea of putting a mortise on the thick plank just above the light ports. Cut the mortises on the table saw and glued this plank on port and starboard sided up to the bow bend. I have some timber soaking getting ready for the bow bending. This should be fun.

I am going to install the wales next with a 3/32 thick plank as the base and then do the anchor stock veneer in boxwood. This is if my test model of the wales comes out decently.

I want to lay individual planks and I think a 4 inch plank to simulate 20 feet should work. Please share any thoughts you have on any of the things I have mentioned. I want to say I am not too proud  to use any of the tricks that are posted in the forum.

Here are some pictures for today.

Have a great day!

post-1692-0-43867800-1448660572_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-43088600-1448660669_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-69119900-1448660684_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-66074700-1448660703_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-05284800-1448660719_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-10698500-1448660750_thumb.jpg

Back again.

I am getting close to laying the deck planking. I don't want to use the basswood, I have some holly, some really nice cherry that should grey out a bit as it is exposed to air, and boxwood. I'm leaning toward the cherry. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Good Evening Michael

You are a bit further ahead than me with the planking.

I don't know the terminology yet, but the shape end lines looks to be very good.

It does take a lot of time and thinking at this stage.

What are you doing for the port doors? Are you making them or using the supplied ones?

My kit came with metal ones, but I don't know if I could make them.

Sorry I can't help with the timbers, except that the cherry would probably look

amazing on a deck, maybe too good for a deck?

Hooroo Chris

Hi Chris,

I am going to fabricate the doors from wood.

I'm leaning toward cherry for the deck planking. The Swiss pear looks a little pink to me.

I am still trying to fabricate s satisfactory wale set up.  Do I make the wales black or leave the veneer coat natural? I wish I could no them in ebony but I am allergic that wood.

Regards,

Hi Michael, Should look very good with either timber.

Did you see the post i put in Dave's log about the wales.

I put up 2 links for how i want to try and do them.

http://www.anmm.gov.au/whats-on/vessels/hmb-endeavour

https://www.flickr.c...7828190/detail/

Thanks Chris

Edited by Cabbie

Hi Again Michael here is a good shot of how the replica treated

the wales at the stern. The bottom wale appears to be twisted

like a propeller and tapered. there is another pic further along.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/endeavourvoyages/9022930796/in/album-72157634081735926/

There is another pic of the stern a near the end of the album.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the great collection of Endeavour photos. I will add them to my collection. She sure looks small in the drydock,

One thing that I can see from the photos assuming the replica is close to the original, is that the Corel kit has taken many liberties. Non to the better.

the stern is especially well off the replica . Corel shows a lower counter that the hull planks end at. The replica shows the planks tucking right under the counter.

I'm going to have to live with this. Too far along to rip out.

I was fortunate enough to visit the replica in Oxnard, California on it's around the world cruise. Crawled around the lower decks on my knees after hitting my head on the overheads one time too many. The sailors in those days must have been a lot shorter.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another up date.

Finally got the hull sanded good enough to start the second planking. I installed the sheer strake and put rebates in  for extra support for the channels. 

I began the second planking at the sheer strake and planked down to one plank below where the bottom of the wales lied. I then planked upward to the top of the bulworks. Worked out pretty well.

Then came the really interesting part. I decided to do the wales in anchor stock planks made of Asian boxwood. It is very hard and probably as the best edge holding of any wood.

Each pair of anchor stock equals 1 plank width. There will be 3 pairs of anchor stock for the wales. I started at the bottom of the wale because the bottom of the 1st row will yield a straight line. These planks can be "mass produced by shaping a billet the length of a plank using a disc sander and then slicing of the planks at width. These planks lay on pretty straight forward. I started amid ship and work for and aft. This got me the proper lengths for the cut planks at the stem and stern.

Now comes the hard part. Each of the mating planks have to done on a custom fitting basis. Once the mating planks are in on the second row up, they will yield a straight line (in theory). Then back to the mass produced etc. I wonder if I made a mistake by doing anchor stock instead of regular planking. Do overs are always an option. There are some spaces in the planking. I will fill these with sanding powder using dilute white glue as a binder.

Some pictures below. My photography shows great ineptitude. My apologies.

I may have to do some deck furniture or deck planking to break up the tedium of the anchor stock work.

post-1692-0-22542400-1450640710_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-82142900-1450640727_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-14586600-1450640738_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-90250500-1450640766_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-60504600-1450640782_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-36102400-1450640800_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-56322900-1450641018_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael

It certainly is a lot of hard yakka planking a ship like this, planks

and wales going in all directions. Yours looks like it is going to come

up very nice. Are you painting the ship like it is usually done?

I am still back on the first planking and hopefully will finish one day.

Cheers Chris

• 4 months later...

Greetings,

Well, we're back in the shipyard after a longer then planned break too busy doing honey chores.

To progress: the hull is fully planked as is the deck. The wales have been anchor-stocked with boxwood and painted The deck was planked with holly, stained natural. The lower hull is walnut again stained natural. The hull above the wales is box wood stained natural. The bull works are painted.

Next is to paint and install the water way planks. Then on to the deck furniture which will be boxwood.

post-1692-0-81894000-1463504315.jpg

post-1692-0-41624200-1463504327.jpg

post-1692-0-56557600-1463504336.jpg

post-1692-0-72180000-1463504346.jpg

post-1692-0-56680500-1463504367.jpg

post-1692-0-40991300-1463504382_thumb.jpg

post-1692-0-21520600-1463504391.jpg

post-1692-0-45699300-1463504391.jpg

Edited by ca.shipwright

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Back in the shipyard, after a minor remodeling. The shipyard works better now.

Now for an update of HMB.

I have completed the deck planking using natural stained holly which I milled using my Jim Byrnes' saw and thickness sander. I really  do enjoy making timbers and one day I hope to scratch build a ship. I opted not to trennel the deck or the or the planking. But I did put in the butt and scarf joints in the decking. I uses a fine chisel to put a dent (takes 5)  in the wood and blackened it with a pencil. Of course, I cut one backwards. Loose your concentration for 1 second and a mistake will occur. They came our fairly well for a first effort.

As you can see, I ripped out the stern and redid it. I raised the bulworks the width of a plank and a half. 

Completed the bottom rails all around. A lot of painting going on. Everything got two coats of wipe on poly satin to try to protect what is done. Still looks like a continuous touch-up operation will be the norm.

Took a break from the long timbers and made some of the riding bits and pin rails. Again out of boxwood as it keeps a very sharp edge

It looks like the next investment is going to be an inexpensive X-Y table for the drill press so my holes come out evenly spaced and aligned.

Regards to all,

Pictures are attached

post-1692-0-35658200-1465922107.jpg

post-1692-0-36528100-1465922119.jpg

post-1692-0-32937300-1465922139.jpg

post-1692-0-16644500-1465922153.jpg

post-1692-0-04494500-1465922170.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Some more progress to report.

I seem to be taking two steps forward and one or two steps back trying to reconcile the Corel Endeavour with the AOS plans. I don't seem to have the vision needed yet to see when something is inconsistant. Hence, it is build, rip out and rebuild. I am totally in awe of the skills displayed by DAVEROW, DASHI, BANYAN, KIWIRON and others. I have had to reassess by expectations as my skills are nowhere near what you fellows display. It looks like I will have to be satisfied with a nicely built "representation" of HMB Endeavour.

Meanwhile, the work progresses, albeit slowly. Rails and timberheads are in on the forward part of the ship, anchor linings mounted, channels are installed in a rebate for added strength and painting continuously touched up. Also fabricated some more of the deck furnishings. Built the rudder and now have to add the cudgeons and pintles to the rudder and hull.

Some more pictures enclsoed

Regards to all.

post-1692-0-18470600-1466868888.jpg

post-1692-0-11178700-1466868911.jpg

post-1692-0-95389400-1466868925.jpg

post-1692-0-37905500-1466868960.jpg

post-1692-0-32140700-1466868989.jpg

Another mistake! I just noticed that the forward channels are too far forward. You can see this in the forward portside photo in the previous post. You can't put the chain plate over a port. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi everyone,

Finally the rails, timberheads, gun ports and channels are all in place. Next up the stern.

Photo attached. Looks like my iPhone takes better pictures than my Canon camera.

Regards

post-1692-0-74828600-1466972015_thumb.jpg

Edited by ca.shipwright

Hi Mike,

Your going fine. A few errors along the way, however Rome wasn't built in a day.

I spend hours at times not producing a thing, just working out how to do something little, that may have a huge impact on something else.

I constructed my Endeavour stern best I could at the time. It is different to others I know.

One thing I did a long time ago was to photocopy to scale the deck and side views from the AOTS book. I have copies of these on the wall and loose to take dimensions from(lots of dimensions to check, double check, and so on).

The Corel plans(mine are gathering dust) are no way near the AOTS details.

For me(Shipyard), it has been 26 months and nearly completed the hull and fixtures.

Enjoy, I do.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hi Michael, just read through your build and it looks like you are moving along just fine. I too am building a Corel kit at the moment and I agree that their plans do leave a lot to be desired and the instruction book I use primarily to track the number of hours I have been working on it. It can be frustrating but I've learned over the course of a couple builds now that no set is perfect and that is ok as I spend large number of hours researching supplemental information on the ship I'm building anyway and rarely rely on one source.

It looks to me that you will have yoyrself a very nice model when completed.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Dave and EJ,

Thanks for the kind words, your models really do stimulate me to do better. I only wish that when I started, I paid more attention to the AOS. This would have let me build without trying to accommodate the Corel plans into the AOS- can't be done. So now I am using scaled top and side views from  AOS. This has presented several conflicts which are being handled in the most expeditious manner.

Right  now I am attempting to learn how to silver solder with a torch, flux and silver chips. My father was a jeweler and this is what he did for over 50 years. I wish he were still around to teach me. Working on the rudder cudgeons and pintles. More to follow soon.

Anyone have a Vandelay trunnel maker they want to loan out? It appears that Vandelay Industries no longer makes this item.

Using a drawer plate is a really big pain in......

Regards to all

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,

Some progress to report, finally. Built and installed most of the deck furniture. Left to go are the pumps and the bumpkins. The hatches, cat heads, skylight, windlass, swivel gun stocks, rudder, knightheads and gangway ladders. The windlass is an abbreviated version. I could not figure out how to cut the square holes. When I laid all of the deck furniture out, they didn't want to fit. It appears that my afterdeck is too short, I can't find the reason. If I have to, I will leave out a hatch just aft of the main mast.

This is what happens when you bounce back and forth between two sets of plans- Corel and AOS. When will I ever learn!!!!!!!!!

There appears to be an asymmetry in the foredeck, The ships bell doesn't mount centered- a little to starboard.

This journey began as a replica of HMB Endeavour, it progressed to a Corel "kit bash", now it will wind up as a representation of a ship that sailed during that period. As Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) said, "a man's go to know his limitations." I am rapidly learning mine.

Next up will be the dreaded chain plates and dead eyes on the hull, using the long gun assembly as breaks, followed by beginning the masts and bowsprit.

I have now idea what happened with photos 2, 3 and 4. I know I didn't stand on my head.

photos follow

Regards,

post-1692-0-33961000-1470253799.jpg

post-1692-0-64289800-1470253812.jpg

post-1692-0-91461500-1470253835.jpg

post-1692-0-64593600-1470253848_thumb.jpg

Edited by ca.shipwright

Hi Michael,

Thanks for looking in on my build.

You comments are too generous.

I reckon I'm slowly loosing my sight working on the details on my build.

So much close up work, all through a large magnifying lens with leds to light up the area.

I spend a lot of time sketching what and how to do something, research the topic, mainly look through the build logs of others and AOTS.

The build time is just about always less than the research time.

PS Clint is my favorite actor of films a while ago, and now a great director.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.